Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

More Zabrak Horns

• 8 Replies

Veshsill

• "Clarify."
More Zabrak Horns
« on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:55 AM »
So, I saw Sidewalker's Zabrak horns and facial tattoo and love it! Just wanted to show my own take on Zabrak horns and facial tattooing.

I bought the foam head from a beauty supply store for $5 and the curve of it fit my head perfectly. I used Sculpey Ultralight with just some plastic tools and my fingers. I left a lot of over hang around the bottom because I used it as a base to apply liquid latex to so when the latex dried I could cut away the extra clay and have the curve of the clay left over.

This is after I baked the horns according to the baking instructions on the package of clay. One thing I did to keep the curve of the base was make a semi-hollow ball of aluminum foil and gently set the horns on it in the oven and it worked great though it was a bit scary to take it out of the oven because the horns are heavier than the foil and want to fall over. I painted them with some $2 paints from Walmart. I know. Classy.

And there they are in the costume!
One thing I would have done differently was make some stencils for the facial tattoos because it's nearly impossible to get nice straight lines that look PERFECT to each other on either sides of the face. I also would have made the liquid latex around the base of the horns much thinner so it blended out easier. I glued them onto the bald cap with some Spirit Gum and they were on there FIRMLY. I did not feel like  they were going to come off at all.

SO YEAH. Any questions about that, just go ahead and ask! :)

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2013, 01:01 AM by Veshsill » Logged

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: More Zabrak Horns
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:40 AM »
nice job! ;D

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Padex

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Awesome job! If you are going to continue to use the same bald cap over and over, you could try super glue. That is what I did with mine.

TDE-086 Darth Canos

Veshsill

• "Clarify."
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:00 AM »
My initial plan was to keep the bald cap for additional uses but it was just a standard vinyl bald cap and it is too flimsy to be worn over and over. As well as when I took it off the first time, it wrinkled and totally messed up the make up that was on it and well...black make up is very unforgiving :P

But yes, I did keep it just for a keep sake. Haha, it was the first time I had put that much effort into a costume. It literally took me all day to do that to myself. If I had some help with the bald cap and the back of my head, I don't think it would have taken as long, though.

Seriously, it might be easier to just shave one's head. xD

Padex

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:09 AM »
I actually just shaved my head for the first time for SheVaCon, and the spirit gum worked wonders. I heard ProsAide is a really good one, too.  And your right, it does wrinkle sometimes, and trying to get it to stay down in the back is a pain in the butt. As was described perfectly to me while at the Con, you get Michael Keaton Batman syndrome. Awesome job on the tattoos, and trying to get the same next time you wear this costume is going to be a challenge. I recommend taking a bunch of 360 pictures.

TDE-086 Darth Canos

Vhitanai Shocye

• Yustapir Clan
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:20 PM »
My mando is actually a Zabrak. It's awesome that I found this thread. Could a shower cap be used in place of a flimsy bald cap? I'm not going to shave my head. Is there a way I could paste the horns around my hair?

Veshsill

• "Clarify."
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2013, 12:17 AM »
Shower caps are generally not skin tight, that's why I went for a bald cap. On top of that, in that costume, I was actually wearing 2 bald caps because my hair is curly/frizzy and down past my shoulder blades. It was just a lot to control. This set of pictures was my very first time ever doing a bald cap or such in depth make up, so it is not perfect. But, I think that if I had someone helping me put on the bald cap, it would have been MUCH easier and a lot more seamless.

If you're going to put your horns on and keep your hair free, I would recommend gluing the horn to some type of hair clip or head band that you can hide in your hair.

Vhitanai Shocye

• Yustapir Clan
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2013, 03:34 PM »
Yeah, that's actually what I was thinking. It'd probably have to be something with teeth, so to speak, since my hair is pretty thin. Thanks for the reply!

Veshsill

• "Clarify."
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Just a quick update. I refined my Zabrak horns a bit this last Halloween as well as I got a mohawk (shaved the sides of my head) versus wearing bald caps. I used a lot less liquid latex for the surrounding skin of the horns and it turned out much better! Spirit gum was used to glue them to my head and I used the same Mehron make up. :)

The image was contrast corrected but I was actually wearing my sithly contacts and my head is actually shaved :P

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!