Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tyno Krast WIP (pic HEAVY! Metal Force Hunter Upgrades Pg17)

• 321 Replies

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Bucket and boots are in! Time to get to work.

The boots are from MoW and the bucket is from Asok.

Flight suit and vest are both under construction at the moment. The vest is grey and the flight suit is white.....for now.

Armor will be from RKD.

When I started this journey back in 2011 I was not a costumer at all. I was interested in building a Boba but while researching that I stumbled upon Hydra's Umi Snow Mando. I was hooked. I've always been a fan of snow based characters. So for my first build I was thinking of going that route as well. However I also own a Phase 1 and Phase 2 Rex and would like to incorporate something of my clone "heritage" into my Mando. I was thinking a "faded" version of Rex markings. Light blue for the visor, jaig eyes, and armor markings, tan/khaki for the cheek wells, and white for the rest.

I plan on doing a layered weathering technique with ruddy brown as an aesthetic primer to simulate rust then maybe a green followed by a white top coat. The armor will also have tan/khaki accents throughout.

Red or brown girthbelt and I am undecided on the color of the ammo belt. Brown or white? 

For weapons I'll be recycling my DC-17s from Rex and I will either be using a modified Woodchuck DC-17 (that I am trying to sell if anyone is interested) or if I can sell the DC-17 I'll use that cash to get a Woodchuck Verp.

My goal with this build is simplicity and depth. I feel that with the amount of freedom we have to customize it's very easy to get carried away. And instead of looking like a warrior you end up looking like the Junk Lady from Labyrinth.

Of course Boba and Jango are the bench marks. Jango is simple and functional but the colors and the way his minimal items are layered give great depth. And Boba is just a great example of having a lot going on without over doing it.

Any advice, comments, criticism, and wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I'm a clone trooper pro but I'm a mando newb and I could use all the help I can get.

Couple of questions that I'm sure have been asked a million times.

Keeping the mandibles apart and visor instillation.

On my clone I just use magnets to keep the visor in place as there's no need to worry about the mandibles coming together. But for the buyce I'm not really sure what rout to take. I was thinking about using epoxy to mount T-nuts to the inside and then use a piece of metal to bridge the gap and act as a support. The visor would be sandwiched between the t-nuts and the support bar with the rest of the visor held in place with magnets. Good idea, bad idea, or is there a better solution?

Tactical/Airsoft/Motorcycle Gloves
Are these acceptable to use or are the frowned upon as being too modern looking? I've been trying to avoid the ones with the large, pronounced knuckles.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2014, 01:58 PM by Tyno Krast » Logged

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Tyno Krast WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:25 PM »
The best way I've seen is POOs method:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=52872.msg743004#msg743004

It's simple and helps helps keep it structurally sound. Hope that helps! :D

Beskar'gam  |  Buy'ce  |  Gallery

Mandalorian Mercs OM #769
The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #058
B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Tyno Krast

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2013, 12:33 AM »
Very nice thank you! Also learned about subtractive weathering :-)

Tal Skirata

• Never tell me the odds
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Have you sold that dc-17 yet? Is it the commando rifle?

You can't choose your destiny, you can only fulfil it or fail it

Tal's wip
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=62634.0

VRCA #33
RAM #17
QMU #01

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Nice start, I went with an Asok CC and love it, I wanted to try what you are referring to with a piece of metal attaching both side of the lower mandibles together but I could not find a suitable solution, in the end I used four screws to hold the visor in and a bit of hot glue at the ends of the mandibles, so far it has worked well.

Looking forward to seeing your build, I know your Rex is Epic!

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Tyno Krast

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Tal I did end up selling the DC. Sorry. It was an animated style DC from Woodchuck.

Thanks Tact! For some reason it seems the visor has been the most challenging thing so far. Going from a clone to a mando has been eye opening.

I've got a few updates. Just a little work on the bucket and a few more items have been collected.

Eventually I'd like to build a ROTJ-SE Boba Fett. But that is a long and expensive process. So my thinking is to get items that I can use for both Tyno and Boba. In that way I can still participate in local invasions while I wait/save for Boba. Although as I'm building Tyno I'm starting to like him more than Boba.

Ok so here's where I'm at.

I took this to show the difference between the sanded areas and the un-sanded areas. If anyone is considering getting a cold cast helmet stop thinking about it and just do it already!

Here is the ammo belt I will be using. It's a WW2 Swiss army bandoleer I believe. I will be adding "devices" to the insides of the pouches to keep them from laying flat.

These are 2 pouches I also had from other costumes that I thought might look good on the belt. Is it too much?

Sadly the dent was filled. The dent was filled using a 2 part epoxy putty then sanded flush. I'll either use rub-n-buff to go over the spot or just hit it with some metalic silver spray paint.

The bucket is just about ready for painting. I might go over it a bit more with the steel wool then give it a good bath. The plan for this week is to get the visor mounted so I can cut out the FP logo and begin the painting process.

I have just about everything I need for soft parts except for a girth belt. I've sourced a few so I will probably get one soon. Most likely I'll be getting a white/natural girth belt that I can dye at a latter date.

Speaking of color...
Rather than doing a "faded" Rex blue I've decided to go with white as my primary, red as my secondary, and tan/beige as my tertiary. Because I'm going to have jaig eyes I felt that doing them in blue might be too close to Rex. But I will probably use Rex blue as one of the aesthetic layers under the main paint job. Just as a little nod to my favorite Captain. 

The flight suit was provided by Kcr7pr over on TDH. The quality is nice but I've decided to go with a ROTJ suit from another tailor. It's being made now so as soon as I get it I'll let you know how it turned out. I have high hopes.

The grey vest is a duckcloth job from our very own K'raam Xrati. I can't speak highly enough about this vest. Sturdy construction and great fit. If you need one get one!

These fine garments are all courtesy of Man of War studios. The gloves and vest are MoW's ROTJ versions. Because the white flightsuit is a bit more roomy I'll probably use it as my "snow assault" suit in conjunction with the duckcloth flack vest. While the ROTJ flight suit and vest will be my default until Boba is ready.

And for weaponry I've got ol' Vera standing by. She's a Verp lovingly crafted by the amazingly talented Woodchuck. This lovely little lady is both beauty and beast.

I may add some greeblies to the butt stock but at the moment I'm undecided. Maybe a few EE-3 greeblies and/or some "cheek padding".

Thanks for taking the time to look and read the WIP so far. You guys are the pros and I value any and all advice and constructive criticism you have. Also feel free to ask any questions.

Vindar Falco

• Honor, Valor and Integrity
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2013, 08:01 AM »
NICE!

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2013, 08:10 AM »
You have got some quality items there vod, I am sure you will have a great kit.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

Tyno Krast

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Thanks Vin!

Thanks Tact! I hope so. I don't have much talent for this kind of thing so even with quality items there's a risk I can screw it all up and look like a bag of smacked shebs. :-)

But I will do my best and follow all of the advice I can get. And of course lots or research and planning!

I'm thinking about going Spec Ops sniper. I'll still need to get some kind of a spotter droid/image enhancement device. I was also wondering what to do about the blade/e-tool. I was about to go online and look for something when my son tells me "Uhh...dad....look on the wall." *DOH*!!! I've been collecting swords and knives for years. I've got a wall full of them so of course I overlooked them completely.

I have one that might work for a sniper. Please let me know what you think.

It's a custom weapon and is part of a set. It's brother is about 42in long with a 29in blade so probably not suitable for a sniper :-)

But this little guy just might do the trick....

As always please let me know what you guys think. If I do go with this blade I'm not really sure where I'd mount it. I was thinking either in the small of my back running horizontally or perhaps strapped to the butt stock of the verp.

Nirob

• What doesn't kill me dies.
  • Awards 40% increase or more Order of the Ori'Ramikad Force Hunter Brigade Member Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2013, 10:51 AM »
If you need some padding for your Verp, I got some leftovers, so just stop by.

Tyno Krast

« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Thanks 'vod! I need to stop over and see your mad scientist lab. You have some awesome stuff coming out of your workshop!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Is that real steel, and sharp? if so its a no no vod

Nice verp ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Naren Sprax

• So I says to Mable, I says...
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Is that real steel, and sharp? if so its a no no vod

Nice verp ;D

Looks real. Maybe you can make a mold of it and cast it vod? Great start. Will be watching.

Tyno Krast

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 02:34 AM »
Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah that blade is very sharp, very real, and very functional  ;D

Making a mold is a good idea!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:38 AM by Tyno Krast » Logged

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Tyno Krast WIP (First mando! pic HEAVY!)
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 05:38 AM »
I like all of this.

Vindar Falco

• Honor, Valor and Integrity
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 08:22 AM »
as do I

Tyno Krast

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Thanks vode I appreciate it!

Unfortunately I don't have much to report. The only real progress I've made so far has been getting the visor mounted.

The visor itself is a beauty from t-visor.com! Great product!

Although there are many ways to mount the visor I opted for a system that would allow me a bit of air flow as well as the ability to remove the visor for cleaning or replacement. Like many before me I anchored bolts directly to the bucket.

Basically what I did was measure out where I needed the visor to be anchored. I decided on bolts at the top center, inner points of the cheeks, and one on each mandible.
After learning the hard way on a Night Owl helmet I put together, I did the forehead bolt first. This let me get and keep the visor centered while I did the other bolts. I then did the mandible bolts followed by the cheek bolts. I found that by doing the bolts in this order I was able to keep everything lined up.

After drilling each hole in the visor I used a small hand file to open the holes up a bit more. Then I placed the visor into the helmet with the bolt in the visor in order to get the proper placement.

I then used a few drops of CA glue (Zap-A-Gap) and a pinch of baking soda to tack the bolt into place. Next I removed the visor and added more CA glue and baking soda to fill the gaps and cement the bolt into place.

I'm a huge fan of CA glue and baking soda. If you haven't used it yet give it a try. While CA glue does bond well for seems and gaps it can be brittle when it comes to other applications. Especially anchoring. However, when you sprinkle baking soda onto the CA glue it not only dries the glue instantly but it also creates a rock hard bond. Of course it helps of you score the area well before using this method.

Let me know what you think.

Tyno Krast

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 07:47 AM »
One thing I didn't notice until I posted the pictures was the distance between the bottom of the visor and the bottom of the mandibles.

The visor is 1/8in up from the mandibles. I know the visor doesn't have to be flush with the mandibles but is this too much?

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Looks fine dude.

Tyno Krast

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 02:59 PM »
New flight suit came in today. The thigh pouches seem way too low. Other than that the suit feels great.

I've got two flak vests and I need an opinion....

Grey vest.....

Or white vest? I'm kind of partial to the white on grey myself.

The only other item I need to get is the girth belt and that should do it for the soft parts. If all goes well I'll start mounting the armor this weekend. I plan on bolting it on.

Thanks for looking and any critique and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

razor

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 03:07 PM »
i say go with white

Count up your sins

mando merc 803!

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 03:08 PM »
I'm partial to the white one... But the grey is nice also... Well come to think of it, can't help you... Both look good!  ;) ;)

Your call!

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 03:20 PM »
I like the white as well, ties nicely to the white on the gloves. ;)

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 03:47 AM »
I think you might find that lighter is better, especially when it comes to photos. So white ;)

Tact Kor

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 07:09 AM »
I vote white! Good job on the visor install, bolts are the way to go!

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!