Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Point's Vest Pattern + Build tute *pix back!*

• 97 Replies

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Looks like it'll be fixed with a single dart directly in the center. Same concept as the darts on the bottom there.

Milori Te'Bell

• The Unstoppable Mandalorian
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions.
It will have to be able to open though, I can just barely get my head through the current hole, it wouldn't fit otherwise. Guess I'll install a few of those press button closings.

Just replace Episode 1 with Weird Al's "The Saga Begins" and a YouTube clip of the Darth Maul fight.  All the story and good bits, none of the Jar Jar.
Bearded Mando #018

MAJIC Member #116

Kilted Mandalorian #009

Only a Mandalorian can make his girl a gun, and get appreciated for it.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
It's also possible that it'll fix itself once there's a collar plate on it

Lemac

Thanks for the tutorial. I've been a bit more worried about the under parts more than making the armor plates.

My sewing experience has gone about as far as using needle and thread to sew a rip, not making anything on a sewing machine.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
If you've not used a machine before I'd recommend at least getting some direct in person teaching from someone who has, and make sure you do some practice stuff. While the vest is the simplest of the soft parts to make, you'll notice that in my tute I kind of assume that you already know the basics of how to sew, and how to sew with a machine.

It's good to push yourself to learn new skills of course, and there's nothing like a custom fitted vest!

Lemac

If you've not used a machine before I'd recommend at least getting some direct in person teaching from someone who has, and make sure you do some practice stuff. While the vest is the simplest of the soft parts to make, you'll notice that in my tute I kind of assume that you already know the basics of how to sew, and how to sew with a machine.

It's good to push yourself to learn new skills of course, and there's nothing like a custom fitted vest!

I am thinking of hiring a friend of mine who has some some SCA costuming stuff. That or helping her and her b/f out with some Mass Effects (or was it Halo) armor stuff. Something simple-ish like a flight suit I should able to pull off but I wouldn't attempt to try doing something tricked out like a puffy shirt prate costume. Having the "book smarts" to do something is no where near as real life as having the practical application/hands on smarts to do something which is why I have asked for some help :)

Hamus

• Mando'ad draar digu.
awesome tutorial. Needs more tea though.  ;D  Will try it out very soon, if the results are to my liking I'll post them if I may.  :D

Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la.

Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be.

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
Tried it out worked pretty well thanks!

Thanks great pattern!!

Never lick a cactus. Never...

Jardo Lightwei

• Slow and steady gets the job done.
I want to do this but I want a turtleneck-type collar for my force hunter. How do I modify the pattern?

"No one cares who your father is, only the father you will be." Mandalorian proverb

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
What you mean is a neckseal I think.

Get the vest pattern squared away in scrap fabric, then experiment with adding a collar. You may find that a simple rectangular piece with a join at the back does perfect for you, you may find that you have to do some shaping.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
I've been struggling with this all day. Am I dumb or is this difficult to understand? Was I supposed to print the pattern out first? I just can't figure it out.

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
If you can't figure it out that's fine. I'm presuming you're coming from a place of not having done any sewing before? I'd recomend getting some help from someone you know who has, maybe at an armour party ;)

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Zero sewing experience Haha. I have the front drawn up but I don't know if my angles are right. Could I maybe shoot you a pm with a picture and you could tell what's going on?

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2015, 06:59 AM by Kurshi BeJahaal » Logged

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
Post it up mate, let others learn too ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!