Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nearly Beast Hunting Ronin (now with cartwheeling action)

• 659 Replies

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
Guess who's back, back, back... Back aga-....never mind. Upgrade time! Got a little work to do before Con-Carolina. First up is the pauldron, which needed some weathering...

Next is some new toe armor, revised foot guards, and maybe some grenades or such.. Well, after I finish the weathering on the pauldron.

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2014, 08:09 PM by Ronin Tavic » Logged
Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Meshurkaan

• Dcon 2014 "Sleepytime" Award recipient.
  • The Nap'alore
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Ronin 1.5(upgrades and such)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:42 AM »
Loving the bite mark! How did you to that to that thick of a leather? I kind of wished you had taken a bite out of it. That would have been bad-a  :P

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 12:17 PM »
He is back. Looking good Ronin.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Kalyn Solari

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Dat pauldron  8)

looking sweet!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:09 PM »
Very Nice work vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:05 PM »
You don't think it needs more? I'm also wondering what kind of material the Kama should replicate. I mean like in universe, is it usually made of plasteel, beskar ore, or a fiber? I'm trying to figure what color to paint the marks to finish the weathering...

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"

Kalyn Solari

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 07:12 PM »
You don't think it needs more? I'm also wondering what kind of material the Kama should replicate. I mean like in universe, is it usually made of plasteel, beskar ore, or a fiber? I'm trying to figure what color to paint the marks to finish the weathering...
umm... The clone commandos kamas were usually leather. Maybe this will help?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kama

Jay Krayt

• Practice makes progress
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:16 PM »
He's back!  :o
The weathering on your pauldron looks epic! I look forward to seeing these promised upgrades.
As for the kama, I second what Kalyn said.  ;)

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Now we just need Volas back and we can make a "What your doing is wrong" pt.2

Dresdon approves of the bite mark on the pauldron  :)

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Gah, pauldron, I meant not Kama.  :-\ was it leather too??

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 08:16 PM »
GAR/SPO Brigade used blast-treated(like the kamas) leather for the base of the pauldron, and then ballistic plastoid plates of differing colours for ranks ect. mounted onto that.   Most 501st use a strap going under one of the arms in order to keep it from flapping up n down like an alederly streaker.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 08:26 PM »
So maybe just  a black wash over it to add burn marks, but should I try to hide the original leather color that shows where I damaged it(the light brown)? Make it look like a metal or maybe white like clone armor? Or just black wash it and have a nice day?

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Well seeing as your Cuy'val Dar Id say make it look like plastoid.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 10:10 PM »
I say blackwash and have a nice day.

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 01:31 AM »
Make the yellow look like colored plastiod and blackwash the lot and have a nice day it is lol

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 01:41 AM »
Use sintra then.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 06:24 AM »
Use sintra then.
eww

He just needs to take a bit of sandpaper to the edges and then werever it goes through the paint a dab of white in place of....whatever the base is.

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 12:20 AM »
Dresdin wins the prize, that's what I'm almost done with. I finished dremeling the edges o the yellow into a slope, so they're in a more plastoid/ traditional pauldron shape. I would not have been able to do that with sintra, since I used half a tube of gorilla glue to hold the hefty leather in place.. Also helmet altered!

That RF sucked. So it's gone now. Also I don't know if I posted pics of the full weathering, so bonus pics

Mind you these are before the pauldron, and some much needed backplate molding.
Ps. I'm trying to upload mobile, so I have no idea on pic size.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 03:43 AM »
Size is good.
Perhapes go over with a low grit sand. Love the blast marks.
Need to hide your neck and back of your head. Balaclava or fix the padding of your helmet. Or both.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 04:46 AM »
Dirt looks GREAT

Yeah, less padding in the bucket, plus a neck seal at least.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 08:44 AM »
Also noticed. Your ab plate is off.

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 09:44 AM »
I warned they were old pics.. I had no top fasteners on the ab plate there, which has been rectified. The helmet padding is good, any less and I wouldn't be able to see. The balaclava is on my shopping list this week. I haven't found any neck seals I like.. Especially since no one makes them in brown, :/ and carid I don't know what you want me to go over with low grit sandpaper.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 10:39 AM »
Your kit sometimes looks like paint not weathering, a light sanding should help with this. Just my thoughts on this though.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 03:55 PM »
I think the problem with you bucket is it tilted to far forward. really the raised Bar round the helmet should be Horizontal ;)

It will probably mean that you can not see out of the Top part of the T and have to look out of the Vertical part.

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #24 on: Jun 02, 2013, 11:36 PM »
I was trying to stare down the camera and look intimidating... I've gone over a lot of the kit with sand paper, unfortunately, too much sanding shows the pores in the painting, since all the silver I could find was a hammered finish texture. Sometimes I like it, but sanding the paint off is not one of them. I got some good new pics at ConCarolinas this weekend, and will upload those tomorrow!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!