Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 810 Replies

jinstarkiller

• AKA JIn Kal
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #30 on: Jul 06, 2013, 01:40 PM »
I know you said you wanted opinions for kama/loin cloth and cape ....I would go the Kama/ loin cloth( or cod piece ) if you use all three I believe would be cloth heavy and that was from others critiquing my own kit

Why do we Mandalorians fight?

To bring honor to our culture and preserve the old ways of the Mando'ad. Be it fighting our own, the Empire, or the Republic.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #31 on: Jul 12, 2013, 01:30 PM »
Going with a Loincloth and Kama.   What fabrics are good for that, and also for the flight suit? I'm going to have to make my own.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: Jul 12, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Hey, Straka. I have yet to talk to you on the Mercs. I'll give you a welcome! (Its me , A'tin) Anyway, as far as cloths, I just got some fabric from a Michaels arts store. But if you want higher quality stuff, there is duck cloth, leather or (faux leather). And as for the flightsuit, try this website: http://www.awawork.com/coco.html I got mine here for $35 and they fit just right. Albiet it can be tough to get in an out of, but it fits once you're in it. Hope that helps! ;D

| Enby. They/them. Please respect pronouns. | Aliit Ori'shya Taldin |

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #33 on: Jul 12, 2013, 11:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice, A'tin.   See you on Live!

Just to mark it down somewhere, I need a 46 Long, maybe a 48 Long.  Now, on to the flak jacket...

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2013, 10:08 AM by STRAKAZulu » Logged
MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Straka Zulu

« Reply #34 on: Jul 20, 2013, 11:35 AM »
Ok.  Found a decent flightsuit ( http://www.automotiveworkwear.com/RedKap/CT10/coveralls.html ), now on to my next problem.

Is this acceptable?
http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/2319-NCS-CPV2915B-NcStar-MOLLE-PALS-Modular-Tactical-Vest-Black.aspx

Was double-checking the CRL's, and it said MOLLE vests are still acceptable, but I'm not sure which style of vest would work.

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2013, 11:46 AM by STRAKAZulu » Logged

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #35 on: Jul 20, 2013, 11:51 AM »
I don't think that vest is gonna work... The flak vest should appear like a form fitting leather vest(or a material that resembles leather).

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Straka Zulu

« Reply #36 on: Jul 20, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Think that any of the ones on there would work?  Or maybe a pattern I could find for a decent price?

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #37 on: Jul 20, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Most of the air soft gear I've seen people try to use requires a LOT of work to make it not look like earth gear. If you check the sales thread there might be some people who sell patterns. I got mine by finding a leather jacket at a thrift store and removing the sleeves.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #38 on: Jul 20, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Go to a Goodwill or a thrift shop and find a cheap leather jacket. Turn it so that the zipper would be at your back, and just trim off excess around the collar for the new "front". And as Ronin suggested, cut off the sleeves.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #39 on: Jul 22, 2013, 12:02 AM »
I hadn't even thought about that.  And bonus on there being a Salvation Army store not 5min. walking distance from home!  :D

Vor'e!

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #40 on: Jul 22, 2013, 12:12 AM »
When it comes to thrifting, check as many as you can, as often as you can, until you find what you need... I have three within 10 minutes of each other, and an army navy store, and I went to them like every other day for a few weeks until I got what I needed. (side note, I actually bought a women's vest, because it was a better fit and didn't require any tailoring, so don't count stuff out until you're sure you can't use it)

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
« Reply #41 on: Jul 22, 2013, 12:14 AM »
No shame in that. Just don't mention it at any armor parties at Mand'alor's house; he'll start makin fun of ya.  :P

Straka Zulu

« Reply #42 on: Jul 22, 2013, 11:10 PM »
I think he might know now.  ;D

Found a padded vest, fits better when worn the right way, but I'll have to sew something over the zipper to hide it.

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #43 on: Jul 22, 2013, 11:33 PM »
Hey, I couldn't buy scrap leather to make a vest for $10 bucks.. but I found the jacket for that. I stand by my decisions...  :laugh: :laugh:
I took leather from the collar and made that a flap to cover the zipper, but the sleeves would work for that too(or as pouches.)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #44 on: Jul 22, 2013, 11:57 PM »
Going to have my sister do a little hunting for me, see if she can find something better. She's the queen of thrift store hunts.  Unfortunately, all my local shop had was a polyester fabric...  Still, this is only my first build. The next one will be better.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!