Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 902 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #325 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Here's it after the first attack with the heat gun.

Still feels way off, but it's much better than it was when originally cut.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #326 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:38 AM »
Also, when I try for the Assassin's Brigade, would a Bes'bev count as an exotic weapon?  Going to be carrying a blaster and a vibrosword, might just turn that into a beskad, though.  My bow and quiver will be put on hold for a little bit.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #327 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Lol I have no idea if a besbev would count. You'd have to hit up the brigade team for that one.

Enby. They/them.| Aliit Ori'shya Taldin

Straka Zulu

« Reply #328 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:47 AM »
After two attacks with the heat gun, the back plate is still curling in on itself, trying to return to it's original shape.  Would reinforcement with some flat pieces help?

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #329 on: Mar 14, 2014, 12:50 PM »
After two attacks with the heat gun, the back plate is still curling in on itself, trying to return to it's original shape.  Would reinforcement with some flat pieces help?

I'm sorry to say I've missed quite a Bit of your Build .....  :(

But As Far as the Backplate ,You Should Heat it A lot , then Press it as Flat as you Can with Something of Substantial Weight ,
then Subject it to Cold Water or Just let it Cool on it's Own While being Flattened .

Then Re-add the Curves back in as you Go ..  IMO ...  :rolleyes:

Good luck ner'vod ...  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Straka Zulu

« Reply #330 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Looks like I'll need someone's car to flatten this out. Being a total pain in the shebs.

You haven't really missed much, vod. :D

Straka Zulu

« Reply #331 on: Mar 20, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Can't find if I posted these here yet.
http://www.discountstarwarscostumes.com/mens-anakin-boots.html
Like the style of these, and if I'm going Assassin, I won't need any more armor that cod and knees.
Has anyone purchased items from this site? Just curious of quality and reliability.

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #332 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:19 PM »
I believe this is the site that I bought my rubie's jango helmet from. I can attest that they are legit and I received the expected goods. Just remember to take their products with a grain of salt, look for actual examples of the boot instead of just their marketing images. i.e. the deluxe jango helmet looks NO WHERE as good as the photo but was still a reliable base bucket.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #333 on: Mar 20, 2014, 10:00 PM »
T'is good news. I'll be ordering those relatively soon.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #334 on: Mar 20, 2014, 11:07 PM »
they apparently don't know their star wars though.. a kids boba fett costume's write up is; The only genetic, un-cloned son of famed bounty hunter Jango Fett... much fail.  :laugh:

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Drako Katora

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #335 on: Mar 21, 2014, 12:15 AM »
Like I said, they're a legitimate company but just take everything with a grain of salt and know what you're getting into before you make your purchase.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #336 on: Mar 21, 2014, 01:55 AM »
Did some searching online, and it seems every costume shop sells these exact same boot for Anakin, right down to the SKU. Guess I'll just have to chance it. :-\

Straka Zulu

« Reply #337 on: Mar 24, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Some progress, but camera is MIA, so I'll have to post some pics when I find it. 

Got the back plate flattened out somewhat.  Still needs a little work, but I should have it ready soon.
Got the cod shaped, just need to attach it to the belt and make a Boba-thong for it.

Also, been waiting for better weather to work on the gauntlets.  Any advice if I want to try making the Clone Wars style Jedi gaunts?

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #338 on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Just use pvc pipes. Cut out the "tabs" on either end of the gaunt, and you're good to go.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #339 on: Mar 29, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Photo Dump!

Back plate, after heat attack #4

Cod plate. Still seems a little lopsided. :-\

New gloves. I know I'll have to get the Kobalt logos off of it, just digging the pre-armored aspect. ;D

And a possible fuel tank for a flamethrower upgrade. Design of the bottle reminded me of the RC's backpacks.

As always, any tips, comments or critiques welcome. :)

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #340 on: Mar 30, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Very ingenuitive idea with the water jug! I can totally see where you're coming from ner vod :D

Straka Zulu

« Reply #341 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:36 PM »
It's amazing what greebs you can find working at a nursing home.  Have a full pack of those thermometer covers for possible darts. Either need to fill them with something to harden them, or leave them empty to keep their flexibility (and safety).

Thinking of using those gloves as crushgaunts, think they'll pass muster?

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
« Reply #342 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Well, theres not crls defining crushgaunt specs. Its all in backstory. But.crushgaunts are bulky. They would be akin to power fists from fallout.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #343 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Saw a set on the wookiee that looked thin enough, and I figured in the Post-CW modern era they'd have figured out how to thin them down a bit. 

In backstory news, figured out my character's name: Anton Strix.
Using my middle for his first name, and the name of a local owl species, Strix Varia.  Having him and his aliit (wife and son) infiltrate a cloning facility aboard an Arc Hammer-class factory ship, in pursuit of a crazy clone of a former Death Watch leader and her benefactor, a disgraced former Moff.

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
« Reply #344 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Well, its all ambiguous because they had been banned.until boba became  mandalor, and I dont think any pics.have surfaced.from that.era for crushgaunts

Drako Katora

« Reply #345 on: Mar 31, 2014, 02:34 AM »
There are several pictures that are commonly accepted as crushgaunts but no definitive "this is what it has to look like" In general I believe it has to be an obviously metal plated gauntlet that is a medium - heavy glove. Other than that it's all personal preference as far as I know

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #346 on: Mar 31, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Lets see those plates on you vod ;)

as for the Crush Gaunt

They dont looks to heavy / bulky to me  :rolleyes:

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #347 on: Mar 31, 2014, 04:58 PM »
There are several pictures that are commonly accepted as crushgaunts but no definitive "this is what it has to look like" In general I believe it has to be an obviously metal plated gauntlet that is a medium - heavy glove. Other than that it's all personal preference as far as I know
Largely personal, yes.  Niabi's shot is the one image accepted as canon, but there have been many variations...

Mine...

Tracyn Ordo's...

Je'karta Kad Verda, clearly going over the top with his... :D

Hondo Karr/ Head Shot Props' crushgaunt, back from when he was in his Falin Skirata days...

Most of us here do ours big.  Subtlety just doesn't cut it for a Mandalorian.  The lack of real canon references basically means you can stick with the little ones in the pic, or you can make a skull-crushing monstrosity like most of us prefer.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #348 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Theres also "Ironman" type gloves like mine....you see Dresdon doesnt have real hands so Im going with these being kinda like super battle droid inspired...

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Straka Zulu

Re: My first build, looking for advice. Now a WIP!
« Reply #349 on: Apr 08, 2014, 01:19 AM »
Trying to avoid the "Big 'n Bulky" look, but it's something to consider for my Mk. II. ;D

Trimmed the old knees, still need to do a little shaping.

Tightened up the text on the buy'ce

And added killstripes

Nevermind the mess, we're packing for a move.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!