Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 830 Replies

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #60 on: Aug 02, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Our Mand'alor has a great tutorial on weathering here.

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #61 on: Aug 02, 2013, 04:58 PM »
There are 2 ways to weather; Additive, and Subtractive.
Additive. Paint a pretty, shiny clean kit with your primary color, then add spots of paint to simulate weathering, ie. scratches, dents burns etc.
Subtractive: Paint your armor in layers, and remove areas where your damage to show. Example:
My final color was white. I painted a grey base coat. then added mustard on areas I wanted scratches and marks of grey to show(don't go crazy with it, less can be more). Then I did a coat of silver. Clean the mustard off my scratches, and I have a silver armor with grey showing through in areas. Then I mustard-ed more and painted the final coat of white.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #62 on: Aug 02, 2013, 05:08 PM »
There are 2 ways to weather; Additive, and Subtractive.
Additive. Paint a pretty, shiny clean kit with your primary color, then add spots of paint to simulate weathering, ie. scratches, dents burns etc.
Subtractive: Paint your armor in layers, and remove areas where your damage to show. Example:
My final color was white. I painted a grey base coat. then added mustard on areas I wanted scratches and marks of grey to show(don't go crazy with it, less can be more). Then I did a coat of silver. Clean the mustard off my scratches, and I have a silver armor with grey showing through in areas. Then I mustard-ed more and painted the final coat of white.

Well said.

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #63 on: Aug 04, 2013, 01:35 PM »
I guess it's a good thing my new job is in a nursing home's kitchen, mustard packets galore! :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #64 on: Aug 04, 2013, 06:41 PM »
Mustard is a godly material when it comes to weathering I've found. I like to apply mine with a paintbrush to have more control as opposed to just squirting it on. The draw back to using it however is if you're using very light colors such as white or chrome it can give the paint a yellow/green tinge. The solution to the yellowish color is leaving it out in the sun for about half an hour after you've wiped it off. It sort of sun bleaches it back to the proper paint color.

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #65 on: Aug 04, 2013, 11:29 PM »
Hmm, I never had any issues with discoloration.. And all my colors were light(to start with at least lol) a tooth pick works really well too for getting in cuts and such.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #66 on: Aug 07, 2013, 11:47 AM »
Minor update.   Tested the paint and primer can, works great.  Now I have to see if it'll hold up to my colors.

Second, for those of us who are gamers, the Saint's Row IV Inauguration Station is up, if you want to make your Boss before the game drops on the 20th.  It has a suit set called "Ransom Collector" which looks as close to a Fett suit as they can get, without being sued.

Third, made another great find at Salvation Army. Found a leather trench coat for $6.  It's sleeves are too small, otherwise I'd keep it intact, but I'm going to cut them off, rip out the liner and make a cloak (cape, w/e) out of it, and use the excess for a loincloth. thinking of making a hidden holster for my hold-out in there, too.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #67 on: Aug 07, 2013, 12:13 PM »
hahaha i like the holdout-under-the-loincloth idea.
"is that your blaster or are you just happy to see me?"
"uh, well actually, its  a blaster..."

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Straka Zulu

« Reply #68 on: Aug 07, 2013, 12:17 PM »
"But I AM happy to see you... Bounty."

Was actually talking about under the cape/cloak, but it is an interesting idea...  ;)

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #69 on: Aug 07, 2013, 01:23 PM »
Nice WIP,

For weathering I've started using toothpaste (thanks to a certain Mr. Kelan Ord) and it works very well, it's much easier to control compared to Masking Fluid. Basically apply your primer a few light coats, then apply your bare metal finish, most people use silver (I've been waiting for someone to try bronze or gold...) then using a small paint brush apply the toothpaste where you want to see damage, I try to do corners and raised parts, think of how and where is would get hit, scratched, rubbed and damaged, try not to do big blobs, small chips and lines look good, also less is better than more, I've aways overdone my damage even though I try to hold back.

It you want layered colors jsut apply more toothpaste over the layer then repaint. Once you've got the final layer on, rinse off the toothpaste with water and your hands et voila!

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Thaxos

« Reply #70 on: Aug 07, 2013, 01:50 PM »
Tact has excellent advice on the weathering with toothpaste.

(There have been some base metal gold or bronze mandos, FYI)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #71 on: Aug 07, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Didn't even think about the toothpaste trick.  I'd read about it someplace else, and kinda forgot it.

I might try for a different base color on my next kit, been having issues on deciding what pattern I want for my colors.  Thinking orange for the main, black for details, but have also been thinking the opposite would look good.

Already set on the suit (grey jumpsuit, black flak/boots/gloves), but the decision on what to do for the armor plates and buy'ce is driving me mad... It's a short trip, but the only way is via backroads... :-\

This is the trench coat:

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2013, 09:37 PM by STRAKAZulu » Logged

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #72 on: Aug 07, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Try using Mando maker to help you set our color scheme, not sure what your issue for the helmet and armor, are you referring to products/ makers or the style?

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Straka Zulu

« Reply #73 on: Aug 08, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Mostly just the color.  I'm doing Modern era plates, and am trying to gather funds for a Night Owl from Skirata Arms.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #74 on: Aug 11, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Would hot water work for shaping the plates?  Getting tired of waiting on getting this kit together, want to show myself how far I am.
Just FYI, I am using tote bin plastic, so it's thin.

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2013, 10:47 AM by STRAKAZulu » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!