Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 830 Replies

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #75 on: Aug 11, 2013, 12:29 PM »
Don't use water. It can crack the armor. Use a heat gun if you have one, or try to find one (whether you buy it or borrow from someone you know has one) You could try using a hairdryer but they might not get the plates hot enough to bend.

| Enby. They/them. Please respect pronouns. | Aliit Ori'shya Taldin |

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #76 on: Aug 11, 2013, 01:05 PM »
I would strongly recommend getting a heat gun. A cheap one runs about $25-$30 and will save you a lot of time and frustration when shaping your plates. You'll also get much more evenly shaped plates that will ultimately be a better fit.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #77 on: Aug 11, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Got this idea from cutting the sleeves off that trench coat:

Folded the excess leather (there wasn't that much) into the sleeve, then clamped the shell of my first attempt at a gauntlet over it to hold it in place.   I'm pretty sure others have done the same, just looking for feedback.  Already have in my head the how's and where's to make the changes.

Off topic: Yes, I play Rock Band; NO, do not ask me to play drums.  Vocals/Bass is my thing.

On-topic:  How do I best form the plates, once I heat them?   Do I just bend by hand, or try to shape them "on body"?

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2013, 01:32 PM by STRAKAZulu » Logged
MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #78 on: Aug 11, 2013, 03:16 PM »
What you want to do is hat gun 8-12 inches away and go in a circular/ sweeping motion around the inside of the piece. Do this until you feel that the plate is pliable enough to take the shape you want. You'll get a feel for how long it takes to do each plate once you get into it. You'll need gloves for this whole process, especially the actual forming. For my body plates I had my friend help me but you should be able to do it yourself. Take the warm plate and with a towel or other barrier on you so you don't burn yourself gently apply pressure to where it needs to be shaped. For example a thigh plate need pressure on the left and right to wrap around more so than the top or bottom. Remember to use gloves and always have a good insulating barrier between you and the plate to avoid burns.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #79 on: Aug 13, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Here's the update:

Took the sleeves from the coat, removed the excess, and added a hook & loop for the seam to get them on and off. Will be adding some to the cuff to attach the gloves to, then cutting new gauntlets.  Thinking of keeping them smooth, for now, then adding some "tech" for later versions.

Questions, comments?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #80 on: Aug 13, 2013, 04:58 PM »
You will be putting the hard armour on top won't you?. Because as they are now they'd be considered too soft for approval ;) .

Straka Zulu

« Reply #81 on: Aug 15, 2013, 09:30 AM »
If you'd look at previous posts, you'd see that as my intent  :P
Just have to figure out the Dremel I borrowed, cut the gauntlets I have down.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #82 on: Aug 23, 2013, 11:11 AM »
Minor update:

Been very busy with work, so I haven't had much time to work on my build.  Just got my own "dremel" tool, and a heat gun, so on to the point. Tips and pointers would be appreciated.

I'm also thinking of a slight change to my cape idea.  Was thinking of attaching the top to the collar piece of the armor, and making the bottom into a kama.  Going to use the front of the jacket's leather as a girth belt.

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #83 on: Aug 23, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Sounds interesting. Lets see some progress with those gaunts though!  :P

| Enby. They/them. Please respect pronouns. | Aliit Ori'shya Taldin |

Straka Zulu

« Reply #84 on: Aug 24, 2013, 12:48 AM »
Should have some pics for them next Wednesday, it's the next full day I have off, will be working on my kit as much as I can then.

Here's a rough idea (very rough):

Thinking flachette launcher from an old airsoft shotgun, and a hold-out blaster from a modded Nerf Triad EX-3.  Need to find either a Nerf sword, or find the foam to make one.
Would have tried for a more "action" pose, but I drew this on a break.

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2013, 12:58 AM by STRAKAZulu » Logged

Straka Zulu

« Reply #85 on: Aug 29, 2013, 08:54 AM »

I hate it when the person taking the pic catches me talking...

The cape/kama combo.  Still needs a little work, but got some good ideas.

So, got the plates shaped, for the most part.  Still needs a little tweaking, here and there, but I'd say a good effort on my first attempt.
I know the spacing is not quite there, but it's tough to judge when you do it yourself.
The "girth belt" will have some work done to hide the velcro back, and still need to fix up a loincloth.  Shnees are still in-progress and the hard part of the gauntlets need some trimming done.  My diamond went MIA just before I had these taken.

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 09:02 AM by STRAKAZulu » Logged

Straka Zulu

« Reply #86 on: Aug 29, 2013, 02:59 PM »
Another update.
Got plenty comfy with my heat gun skills, so I shaped the plates pictured even better than before. Next up for them is sanding & priming.  Finished shaping my shoulder and boot armor, might need an extra boot piece to cover the laces and zipper (Rocky Boots, style 2177). 

Need to make a new diamond piece, since I've searched and not found it.  Also need to find some fabric to cover the zipper on the flak vest.

Pics to come later. Now, off to work!

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #87 on: Aug 31, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Must admit i'm not a fan of the cape and Kama combo. Honestly stick to one or the other and i'd much rather see a backplate.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #88 on: Aug 31, 2013, 10:39 AM »
Must admit i'm not a fan of the cape and Kama combo. Honestly stick to one or the other and i'd much rather see a backplate.

Sounds like a plan.  Might attempt a back, now that I'm more comfy with my shaping skills.  Any other comments and critiques?  Spacing, size, what-have-you?
Also, going to make the shnees out of layered shoulder or boot armor pieces, kinda gave up on a 1-piece when I figured that I'd also need to cover the top of my boot, too.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
« Reply #89 on: Aug 31, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Your plate size looks OK. If i didn't think so, i would've said so before ;) .

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!