Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 812 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!
« Reply #795 on: Oct 27, 2020, 09:22 PM »
Looking good mate, I like that blue . A deep dark blue always reminds me of the bespin security gaurd figure....the good ol days 🤔
Keep it up

Thanks.  The Bespin guards were one of my favorites as a kid.

Backplate Update!

Had to space the plates out to cover damage from removing the original set.  Waiting on word from the Brigades to see if I can let it be, or need a plate in the middle.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #796 on: Nov 08, 2020, 07:21 PM »

So, here's a taste of what I would like to do for my Mk.III.  Maybe with, maybe without the cape.

Mk.II, like most of our kits, is still evolving.  Still working towards Assassin, possibly with Pistoleer as a cross-class.

Cleaning up Rebel scum.
Finally got some real pouches, and some "reloads" for them.  Need to figure out a greeblie to replace the follower and spring in the .45 mags I'm using.

And a more complete shot of my loadout.

A quick sketch of the vest I want to make.

And a bit of fun with the Child.

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2021, 01:01 AM by Straka Zulu » Logged
MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Straka Zulu

« Reply #797 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:51 PM »

State of the Build, 2021

As with most things, #workcontinues
Still evolving what I want to do with my builds.  But I found something that might kick this into overdrive.

A friend in my clan has been acting as an enabler for most of us, with him having just built an Ironsides buy'ce.  So, I checked out where he got the file, and fell in love with the Shrike.

Most things I'd like to do (building the Mk.III and second kits, any painting) are on hold, since it's the winter.  I hope to have more to add to this, soon.

I hope you all have a great year, and...

Good Luck, and Good Hunting!

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #798 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:59 AM »
That Shrike is a beauty!

”If you see the Force in hyperspace, kill the Force.”

A'den Syngh
Gedin’la - Jaro

Straka Zulu

« Reply #799 on: Feb 01, 2021, 10:01 PM »
Mail Call!
My Kalevala Visors came in, along with the chest display from Fi.

A HUGE thank you to Echota for being the go-between and enabler!

First, my secondary kit finally has it's eyes!

The knee darts, courtesy of Matchstick.  Once again, thank you.

And a bag of stuff I have no idea how to put together, but am sure I will have a blast figuring out.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #800 on: Feb 14, 2021, 01:11 AM »
The visors I got in, aside from the chrome for my Medic.

The Sky blue one is for my son's build, using the Paz buy'ce that's a little too small for me.

The thought is for me to use the Emerald one in my original Nite Owl, once I get it back from Tyno. 

Got the credit chit and knee darts weathered and polished.

Now to build a new set of knees to attach the darts to.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #801 on: Mar 09, 2021, 10:42 AM »

Did a little tightening up of the details.  Right Gauntlet reads "Wrong Side of Heaven", Left reads "Righteous Side of Hell".
Some repainting of the letters on the Tribute Panel, need to finish the ones on the second panel.

And added a sixth killstripe for my 6th Merc-iversary, which is coming up on the 22nd of March.

And a bit of copper to the Scarlet "A", marking off my second year as a member of App Team.

And it was finally nice enough to do some outdoors work! Painted the boot armor.

In other news, I should be getting back my original Nite Owl.  I hope to have it ready for some new pics very soon!

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
« Reply #802 on: Mar 09, 2021, 01:53 PM »
Yay! Good progress, Strak, and I look forward to seeing your original buy'ce again.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #803 on: Mar 21, 2021, 04:14 PM »
HE’S HOME!!

Needs some Chicago Screws to secure in the visor, and make sure it doesn’t deform again. I also need to clean up the seams of the ear caps, and refill the gaps with some bondo.

And finally painted the boot armor.

Edit: I’m going to try working on the helmet tomorrow, since it’s my 6th Merc-iversary, maybe even get the vest roughed out in Duck.

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
« Reply #804 on: Mar 21, 2021, 08:33 PM »
Great job! SO glad to see the buy'ce back, and the boots and plates look great! And congrats on your Merc-iversary.  :like:

Straka Zulu

« Reply #805 on: Mar 21, 2021, 08:37 PM »
Great job! SO glad to see the buy'ce back, and the boots and plates look great! And congrats on your Merc-iversary.  :like:
Be’gedet’ye, ner vod.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #806 on: Mar 29, 2021, 11:52 PM »
The gang's all here!

Used Chicago screws (aka: Binder Posts) and some leather straps to tighten up the space, and not have any play in the screws.

First attempt at a leather holster:

It's not pretty, but it'll get the job done for now.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #807 on: Apr 06, 2021, 12:00 PM »
Holster V.2:

Friction Fit, with a leather strap for extra security. All attachments are “antique” copper Chicago Screws, and I’m using a D-ring closure for the thigh strap.

Probably going to flip that one screw over, depends on how it falls when I’m wearing it.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #808 on: Apr 27, 2021, 11:11 PM »

More to come from this weekend. ;D

Post-Troop repairs and upgrades in progress.  Most likely going to be retiring the Mk.II plates and vest.  Doing that will give me motivation to get cracking on my P.Imp set.
Replacing the boot plates, both of the Sintra ones I made didn't survive the troop. One cracked off a corner, the other broke in half.  I also am replacing the closures to the vambraces.  Ditching the plate covering the gap, swapping them for leather strips.  Have also finally put a tab of Velcro on the leather gauntlets to prevent them from blousing out of the gap.

In need of templates to make some gaiters.  The ones I've been using the last five years are wearing out.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #809 on: May 03, 2021, 11:35 AM »
Photo Dump!

Photo Credit: Johnny Darthwish

Had a blast of a time with these crazy folks!  Also found JUST how out of shape I am! :laugh:
I have a better grasp of what exactly I need to do when building my Mk.III, as well.

Boot Plates:  NEED to be metal.  The 3mm Sintra ones I had cracked and shattered while climbing all over this site.
Shin Plates: Also, metal.
Gaiters: In Progress.  I have the leather for them, I just need accurate measurements and new templates.
Knee Plates: Replace PVC with metal, add a nub to the outer edge to attach knee darts to (thanks Match! :D).
Cod: P.Imp doesn't require one, unless you have less than the required 4 Lower Body parts.  With the knees/shins/boots, I'll have that number covered.  Still *MIGHT* replace it with a metal one.
Waist Items: I like the idea of the cummerbund, so I'll have to make a couple to test how well that works with my planned build.  The belt I made worked very well, so it will remain as part of this set of upgrades.  I need to make new pouches for my "reloads" and electronics (more on that later).  The holster worked flawlessly. I need to fine tune the attachments when I change up the blasters I carry. A leather Kama will be needed, as well.
Gauntlets and Vambraces: The Mk.II Ver.3 Vambraces will remain with this build, until I get the Sabine S3 ones printed.  Replaced the panel closure with leather straps.  The motorcycle gloves will also remain.  The gauntlet leather should also stay, until I completely replace the Vambraces.
Shoulder Plates: Picked up a set of hard armored kneepads (Thanks for the inspiration, Jeremy and Lucas), and removed the canvas and foam pads. Need to figure out how to best attach them to the new Vest (also, more on that later).
Torso Plates: Paz Viszla style "light" chest plates are in design phase. Still need to make a template for the final version, and am still debating on if I'll stick with the steel, or if I should switch back to Sintra (See: Out Of Shape comment earlier :laugh: ). Will probably make the backplate as well, just to get through my Assassin Brigade app.
Upper Body Soft Parts: New Vest is in the works.  Need to pick up some more leather when it goes on sale.  Leather main body, with a duck canvas collar, neckseal, and shoulder bells.  Will also make a cape, since the duster is not allowed for Post Imperial builds (a bummer, I know.  For a set jokingly called P.Imp, they sure cut back on what a playa can use... :laugh: ). Although a Nite Owl poncho WOULD be... ;)
Helmet: Until I can get the Shrike printed and finished, I will continue to use my original Nite Owl.  MAYBE switch it with the ComMando 2.0 every now and then.
Loadout: Still in flux.  The Bow is still my go-to for the Assassin build, but can get awkward to carry around for long periods.  Need to figure out a way to "holster" it. I also need to build a quiver and mock up some arrows.  The vibrosword needs a guard and some new greeblies, and will need a sheath, since the location I used to mount it will go when I stop using the duster.  The dagger will remain, as it fits with the sword.  Blaster pistols... I have the A180 I love, but I should have a couple pairs of SE-14c's and SE-44c's (Imperial and First Order sidearms, respectively) that will be getting finished soon.  Working on getting some of the Secondary Items for the BRL's, like the "Code Breaker's Keys" or a scomp link.  Need to replace the grenades I've had stashed, possibly with some made from the Plumbing Department at HD  :laugh:.
Electronics: Picking up a set of Baofeng 888's to link into the planned "Comms Network" for troops.  Need to find a way to mount a Bluetooth PTT button someplace on a gauntlet.  A Chest Display from ElectriFi is being soldered together, to be mounted inside the new chestplate.  I already have the power banks for it.  And I need a new pouch for the voice amp I have. 

I think this covers the basics.  Any tips, tricks, etc... would be appreciated.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!