Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 828 Replies

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
Re: Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!
« Reply #810 on: May 03, 2021, 12:29 PM »
Beautiful photos! And I can't wait to see your kit progress.  :like:

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #811 on: Jul 05, 2021, 01:00 PM »
Happy #MandoMonday vode!
So, things happened...

Had an absolute blast at an ACTUAL IN PERSON Armor Party!!
Got started of a new set of gaiters, thanks to Matchstick.  Made the second one at home.

Picked up a new knife, courtesy of Druj.  Started sanding it yesterday.

And finally added in a grating I liked to the vents on my Nite Owl.

Still a lot to do before September.  Was hoping to have at least the chest plate done for my Mk.III, but... Life happens.  As always, Work Continues.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
« Reply #812 on: Jul 05, 2021, 05:10 PM »
Great job, Strak.  :like: I'm so jealous!

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #813 on: Jul 26, 2021, 08:04 PM »
Photo Dump!
Half of my arms shipment arrived, and I started work on them.
SE-14c:

SE-44c:

TMS VibroDagger:

Sanding and priming the knife and F/O blaster, the hand cannon needs some love before I start.

The bow build is on hold, while I try to get my Mk.III off the ground.  I might go for Pistoleer first, then go for Assassin.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #814 on: Jul 26, 2021, 09:54 PM »
Your kit was (and still is) a huge inspiration for me.  It was your build that made me realize that yeah, I can do this too.  Thanks for being an inspiration and keep up the good work.  BTW love the bow and it's always encouraging to see how you improve and change your kit.  :)

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons
Uur Shaadlan Facebook

Straka Zulu

« Reply #815 on: Jul 26, 2021, 10:35 PM »
Your kit was (and still is) a huge inspiration for me.  It was your build that made me realize that yeah, I can do this too.  Thanks for being an inspiration and keep up the good work.  BTW love the bow and it's always encouraging to see how you improve and change your kit.  :)

Thank you.  Hearing that I inspired people really encourages me to keep at it. 

Straka Zulu

« Reply #816 on: Aug 10, 2021, 02:18 AM »
Update:
Vibrodagger is finished.

SE-44c is getting close.

Letting the paint cure for a bit, then going to mask it, and add the secondary color.

SE-14c... Still needs love.

Might need to hit the center with a dremel or something to take down the high point where the halves are joined.

And Pistoleer is off the table.  I'd need an RF for it.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #817 on: Aug 17, 2021, 06:07 PM »
One down, three to go...

Need to get some high grit paper, and some bottles of the enamels to fix some details, but this is just about ready to troop.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #818 on: Aug 31, 2021, 10:08 AM »
Started making modifications to the vest.

Mock-ups:

Just a rough estimate of what I'm looking to do. 

Then, I started the painstaking (and frankly painful) task of saddle stitching the front panel on.

Still need to sew down the sides, folding the canvas over double for extra strength.

Now, I need to lock in how I'm fixing the back, and what method to use for the side closures.
More mock-ups...

The current plan is for chicago screws to affix the straps to the back, either over top, or under the vest, then use snaps for the closure on the front.  I just need to make sure that having the snaps visible is either allowed or not.  I know it's not a problem for the gaiters, but no word about on the vest.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #819 on: Sep 06, 2021, 06:39 PM »
Work Continues!
Been creating new calluses on my hands, learning how to saddle stitch, and tried the lock stitch using a sewing awl.  I think the hand stitching is a little easier, at least for certain sections.
Back panel is attached at the top, still need to get the sides done.

And still roughing out the closures.
Front bottom mock-up:

Back and side mock-up.  Plan is to reinforce the side with a hem, with that section of leather as a backer.  Chicago screws, saddle stitches, and snaps for the hardware.

Thankful for the DTD, helps a lot when test setting the plates from Mk.II for spacing.   I'll be rocking these at Cincinnati Comic Expo, unless by some miracle I get the HIM plates done.

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #820 on: Sep 09, 2021, 01:53 AM »
That's so cool! Leather work is so freaking impressive.

MMCC #2630 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Straka Zulu

« Reply #821 on: Sep 20, 2021, 09:46 PM »
CCE Test Fit!

And I'm not happy with the results.
Let's start from the bottom, and work our way up:
Lower Body: Fabric bunched up between the knees and gaiters.  Need to add stirrups to the pant legs, so they'll stay pulled taut in the boots.  Need new knee armor, shin plates, and boot plates to be compliant with P.Imp CRL's.  Need new holsters, pouches, and need to add more chicago screws to the belt and kama.
Midsection: Need to make a cummerbund to hold in that blasted muffintop.  Not happy with how the girth belt rolled up as I moved.
Torso: Need to finally get the new chestplates made.  AlterEgo Armory made a set that I fell in love with, just need to decide which ab set to use with it.  I also need to order the replacement ToughBuilt knee shells, to make the new shoulders from.  A backplate is in the works, but need to wait till the chest is measured and made. I also need to add in the second set of side closure straps. 
Head: Might have to pull the trigger on getting the Shrike printed.  While I absolutely LOVE my OG Nite Owl, I think it's time to retire her.  She's getting uncomfortable to wear for long periods.  My other option would be to repaint my green and blue N/O.  I'm not ready to give up on that kit, just yet.

I like this set for the chest.  I think this will be the one I choose.

I also picked up a Rubies Mando blaster.  For a Rubies, this is pretty close to actual scale.

And now, for where I'd like this to end up:

I hate how hard it is to color-match on these programs...

Straka Zulu

« Reply #822 on: Sep 26, 2021, 11:36 AM »
Lighting isn't great, but I fixed a couple problems. 
Second closures added:

Still bulges a little near the top of the leather panel, but that should be taken care of by the armor.

Thinned down the dome padding, so the OG N/O sits lower, and is more comfortable.

Downside is I'll look like Aang when I take it off. :laugh:

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #823 on: Sep 26, 2021, 05:17 PM »
I see no downsides here, only benefits.

Maybe it will imbue youe helmet with a little airbending, that would be great for ventilation. :laugh:

Straka Zulu

« Reply #824 on: Sep 26, 2021, 07:22 PM »
That would be REALLY nice.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!