Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 902 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #125 on: Sep 20, 2013, 12:44 AM »
Getting it from Skirata Arms, one of Hondo's last before retiring from trooping. :'(
I don't know anyone who has the buy'ce, yet.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #126 on: Sep 20, 2013, 03:31 AM »
If you want cheap and movie accurate get a #5 welding shield, easy to cut to shape and install. You should get them for under $10.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #127 on: Sep 20, 2013, 07:11 AM »
Getting it from Skirata Arms, one of Hondo's last before retiring from trooping. :'(
I don't know anyone who has the buy'ce, yet.
I think Reeza Krayt on here has one, shoot her a PM. or you could go with the welding visor and cut it yourself. I never had any luck finishing a blank welding visor...

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #128 on: Sep 20, 2013, 09:53 AM »
If it's cheap enough, and I don't have to wait for shipping, I'll give the welding shield a try.  Might be a good learning experience.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #129 on: Sep 20, 2013, 02:30 PM »
This is what it looks like, but you will need to find a USA supplier.

http://www.weldingsuppliesonline.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_159&products_id=759

It looks green but once its installed it looks jet black. To make a template, just get a piece of paper inside the bucket held in place near the T, then draw on the outside where the paper shows. Then add 10mm to that line, then try the template for size till it fits then use that.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #130 on: Sep 20, 2013, 04:11 PM »
I'm gonna have to look online, neither Home Despot or Lowes had anything I could use.

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #131 on: Sep 20, 2013, 04:53 PM »
try a smaller hardware store, like an ace or harbor freight. they are much more likely to have a welding shield

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Straka Zulu

« Reply #132 on: Sep 21, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Thanks for the tip, vod. :)

There's a couple ACE Hardware's in the neighborhood, I'll see what they have.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #133 on: Sep 21, 2013, 04:24 PM »
Time for the Weekend Update! ;D

Got first and second coat of primer on my first gauntlet, re-painted the worst of the chest plates.  Also have the first 2 coats of primer on the boot armor.

Got some touch-ups done to the other pieces, just need to get some flat black paint to cover up the sparkle from the primer.  I hate when the wind takes the vapors everywhere...

Picked up a pair of scrub pants to cut into the second sleeves for the flight suit.
Got an idea for a slicing kit, just need to find a place to mount it and a coil of old headphone cable.  Got any ideas to alter an old Motorola Razr keypad, or add lettering to the screen?

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #134 on: Sep 21, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Nice work on the repaint.  ;D I think a good blackwash will help make it look better. Not sure what the pad thing is, so can't help you there.

Enby. They/them.| Aliit Ori'shya Taldin

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #135 on: Sep 21, 2013, 09:47 PM »
The weatherin looks good, if you touch up with more scrapes and scratches yer golden ;)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #136 on: Sep 22, 2013, 01:10 AM »
Nice work on the repaint.  ;D I think a good blackwash will help make it look better. Not sure what the pad thing is, so can't help you there.
Thanks.  Left my camera behind, otherwise I'd have another pic to show off. 
Any other scratches or blast marks will have to be added with a paint-over, liking the minimal damage for now.
The pad is an old Motorola Razr flip phone, figured I'd put it to good use, instead of just taking up space in the bottom of a junk drawer.

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #137 on: Sep 22, 2013, 09:44 AM »
If you could take it apart, you could probably mount the keys on one of your gaunts as a control pad for armor functions. (jetpack, flamethrower, RF, etc etc.) You'd just have to paint over the numbers and letters.

Enby. They/them.| Aliit Ori'shya Taldin

Straka Zulu

« Reply #138 on: Sep 22, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Here are the main plates together.

Resting on a pillow, like a Norwegian Blue parrot, tired and shagged out after a long squawk...
Not putting any icons or stickers, just keeping them plain for the time being. 
Maybe after getting my killstripes, I'll add the Rancor Clan sigil...

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #139 on: Sep 22, 2013, 12:29 PM »
Add some scratches and black wash the big spot so it looks like you took a grenade or something. Then you'll be golden :)

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"

Straka Zulu

« Reply #140 on: Sep 22, 2013, 12:40 PM »
Add some scratches and black wash the big spot so it looks like you took a grenade or something. Then you'll be golden :)
Best way to add scratches?  Have some sandpaper, 320 grit, and some cutting tools... Have to be careful, though, as evidenced by earlier posts... :rolleyes: :P

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #141 on: Sep 22, 2013, 01:48 PM »
add scratches using different grit sand paper / wire wool. Do light passes and only one or two passes with each (Max) then hit them with a black brown wash and BOOM. awesome plates  ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Straka Zulu

« Reply #142 on: Sep 22, 2013, 02:03 PM »
Where do I find a good black wash?

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #143 on: Sep 22, 2013, 02:30 PM »
for a balckwash mix black acrylic paint with water is about a 1:4 ratio, sponge on, then after a few moments, rub off.  repeat with brown for a more matural look

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #144 on: Sep 22, 2013, 02:40 PM »
Any sharp knife, xacto knife and the like  or heavier grit sandpaper like 80 or 60. Just a couple quick passes in different directions. Black and brown wash can also be achieved with windex and acrylic(how I did mine) just dip a paper towel in the mixture, then dab on your armor, and wipe what you not want. REPEAT until you've achieved the look you want :)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #145 on: Sep 22, 2013, 02:45 PM »
for a balckwash mix black acrylic paint with water is about a 1:4 ratio, sponge on, then after a few moments, rub off.  repeat with brown for a more natural look
So, 1 part paint to 4 parts water/windex, or other way around? ;D
Got some 60 grit sand paper, thinking of taking it to the edges, add a little "rub-off" from the other plates.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #146 on: Sep 22, 2013, 03:38 PM »
you want more water than paint ;) get it nice and thin and do lots of thin coats ;) swapping between black and brown ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Straka Zulu

« Reply #147 on: Sep 22, 2013, 08:51 PM »
Cool, thanks. :D

Going to have to go with a brown wash, since most of my armor is black.

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2013, 11:33 PM by STRAKAZulu » Logged

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #148 on: Sep 24, 2013, 03:05 PM »
What Niabi said, better to go light than too heavy.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #149 on: Sep 24, 2013, 11:18 PM »
Gotta go looking for a hobby shop, most of the stores around here don't have anything other than spray paints.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!