Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 820 Replies

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #180 on: Oct 11, 2013, 10:31 PM »
Most people use a lot of hot glue, or plastic epoxy.  8)

| Enby. They/them. Please respect pronouns. | Aliit Ori'shya Taldin |

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #181 on: Oct 12, 2013, 12:30 AM »
Hot glue it is. :D

Update:

How's it look?  Not wearing my flightsuit yet, got a few things to fix on it. Took that pic with my crappy camera/phone....

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2013, 10:10 PM by STRAKAZulu » Logged
MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ca'tra Firaxan

• Proud procrastinator since 2013
« Reply #182 on: Oct 12, 2013, 11:01 PM »
The weathering and the colors go really well together.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #183 on: Oct 12, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Thanks, vod.  Kinda worried about the spacing, but have made a few adjustments since that pic.  NEED MOAR VELCRO!! :laugh: ;D
Also need to get some blackwash on it, especially on those big "blast marks".

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2013, 11:52 PM by STRAKAZulu » Logged
MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #184 on: Oct 13, 2013, 12:57 AM »
don't forget to balance the bigger damage with little scratches and nicks. Light passes with varying sandpaper grits will give it a more natural and balanced look. It's definitely getting there vod  :D

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Straka Zulu

« Reply #185 on: Oct 13, 2013, 01:02 AM »
Thanks, Ronin.  Now to get hot on the buy'ce and weapons.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #186 on: Oct 13, 2013, 11:16 AM »
size is good ;) but spacing is a bit off.

get the gap between the collar and chest even then get the gut plate sitting nicly in the gap between the plates ;) with an even gap all the way ;)

also your shoulders are not even.

and as for those knees :( dont do it. they would need to be completely covered to use them. 

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Straka Zulu

« Reply #187 on: Oct 13, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice, vode.   

For the knees, going to strip out the elastic, and attach it directly to the armor.
As for spacing, going to need help from a friend or family to get them right, my wife is always "too busy" to help. :rolleyes:

There are some small nicks and scratches on the plates, the resolution on that camera is crap.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #188 on: Oct 17, 2013, 12:01 AM »
Borrowed a camera:

Couple minor adjustments, and I'm golden.

One downside, my hard parts to the gauntlets have vanished.  So, I'll try to build something for this weekend, not making any promises.  Being worked like a dog the last few weeks, and the foreseeable future.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #189 on: Oct 17, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Looking Better ;) but your chest diamond is wonky  ;)

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #190 on: Oct 17, 2013, 03:24 PM »
The white around the visor throws the color balance off a little bit since there's no white on the rest of the armor. I see the small orange outline, but it seems a little off. Maybe if you reversed the colors there? What if the cheeks were white and around the visor was orange? Just a few suggestions. Good work so far. I'm liking the progress.  8)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #191 on: Oct 17, 2013, 09:40 PM »
I need a squire to get into this properly. ;)

Got a few little things to fix up, like making a mad rush to make new gauntlets.  Searched everywhere at home and at my parents' garage, and no sign of them.

Does anybody sell them?

The helmet needs some touch-ups, and need to get the real orange highlights in.  The ones in the pic are from the angle my mother took them at (wheelchair height, recovering from foot surgery).

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #192 on: Oct 18, 2013, 01:54 PM »
Got a few little things to fix up, like making a mad rush to make new gauntlets.  Searched everywhere at home and at my parents' garage, and no sign of them.

Does anybody sell them?

Check out the trading station Vode ;) there are loads (well a few)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #193 on: Oct 19, 2013, 06:57 PM »
Found my gauntlets, but not in time to have them done before the Con. :(

Public test went well, even got a few pointers from my vode at the MMCC/501st/Rebel table.  Gonna have to steal their idea of the hard hat supports for inside my bucket.

Thanks, guys!

Sorry it's blurry, got bumped by an ad in a Boba costume.

Can someone tell me the brand of the 2-part epoxy gel that would work best to fix my earcaps?  The right one fell off right after the con.

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2013, 11:19 AM by STRAKAZulu » Logged

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
« Reply #194 on: Oct 20, 2013, 04:07 PM »
Loctite works well.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!