Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 820 Replies

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #285 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Oh okay. Makes sense.  8)

| Enby. They/them. Please respect pronouns. | Aliit Ori'shya Taldin |

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #286 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Metallic base coats ftw.  :)

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #287 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Quick question: I saw someone mention a kneepad mount, using neoprene knee supports.  Is this still kosher?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #288 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:00 AM »
No I don't think it is. It kind of falls under the sports armor/swat gear category. Your best bet for knees is to just Velcro your cut out pattern to the flightsuit, and use straps going around the back of the leg for support.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #289 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Ok, minor update.

Have the base coat of gunmetal grey on it. Now for the tough part: Do I paint it a solid color Black or Orange, or do I paint it in a two-tone?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #290 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:22 AM »
Ok, minor update.

Have the base coat of gunmetal grey on it. Now for the tough part: Do I paint it a solid color Black or Orange, or do I paint it in a two-tone?
Depends on the look you're going for.  Solid color shoulder bells tend to look good, but it's very much a personal choice.

Honestly, when it comes to paint schemes, I tend to not have recommendations, aside from appraising weathering techniques.  The color of one's kit is the most obvious expression of one's own self.

That said, orange, to make the bells more obvious.  Two-tone would also work, with a focus on the orange for the outside/ border colors.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #291 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:40 AM »
That's actually the knee, but I did use the Boba shoulders for them.  Not a big fan of the Boba-style knees, and not enough skill yet to make Katarn shnees.
Will most likely go with a black front, with the sides done in orange. 

No progress on the back plates, yet.  Need to get to a Rancor clan armor party, run some ideas past them.

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Legends of Mandalore Brigade Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #292 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:39 PM »
That's actually the knee, but I did use the Boba shoulders for them.

You might want to modify them some more... Unmodified shoulder plates as knee wont pass.

There are some "easier" alternatives.
- Galactic Marine style
- Star Wars Galaxies style
- Death Watch style

And any custom look really. Just not unmodified shoulders... Sorry.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #293 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:38 PM »
So... Any tips on turning those into the GM-style?

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #294 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:40 PM »
If they'r sintra then you just get it hot and try and introduce a bend at the top.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #295 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:12 PM »
Tote bin plastic.  Does take heat rather well, just have to figure the angles.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #296 on: Feb 23, 2014, 08:56 PM »
I finally have a Dremel I can call my own!  Time to start the minor adjustment to the visor!

P.S.: A big Thank You to my mother-in-law for the late B-Day present. ;D

Straka Zulu

« Reply #297 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:39 PM »
Helmet Update:

Got the widening of the visor area started, just need to straighten out the corners.

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #298 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Looking good.

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
« Reply #299 on: Feb 24, 2014, 10:24 PM »
I would actually leave the visor's shape as it is now. It has a subtle difference to it that makes it look cool. Your choice though.  8)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!