Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 902 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #400 on: Jun 02, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I floats on the side, not enough of a curve to it.  I will be trimming some down.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #401 on: Jun 09, 2014, 09:58 AM »
This is how bad the shoulders turned out on the back plate:

The right side isn't as bad, but it's close. 
Also, feeling the need for a simple girth belt. Have the Easy Girth tutorial bookmarked, just debating on the colors.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #402 on: Jun 10, 2014, 01:46 AM »
Heat that corner up super hot and roll and pull the shoulder forward. The bend is too extreme for the curve of the shoulder. If necessary cut some darts in it to help the curve.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Straka Zulu

« Reply #403 on: Jun 18, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Was about to do just that today, but the weather turned to osik. So, going to get to working on my girth belt.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #404 on: Jun 19, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Ok, having a "fun" time trying to find grey dye, so here's a question: Would a dark Denim Blue go with my colors?  Would use Navy Blue, but if it dyes to dark, it looks black.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #405 on: Jun 22, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Ok, got it heated and bent a bit more, will see just how much of a trim it needs. Also got some paint to it, the orange for the accents. Will be taping and spraying the black later. Have a line on a hip pouch, about the size of Chewie's, for my belt. Will post pics later, having camera issues again. Grrrrrrrrrr.... >:(  ;D

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #406 on: Jun 22, 2014, 10:27 PM »
Not really sure...I'm trying to picture the blue in my head and it looks good for what *I* can visualize, but you never know until it's actually in front of you. I do think the gray looks good though. it's your call.  8)

Enby. They/them.| Aliit Ori'shya Taldin

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #407 on: Jun 22, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Ok, having a "fun" time trying to find grey dye, so here's a question: Would a dark Denim Blue go with my colors?  Would use Navy Blue, but if it dyes to dark, it looks black.

DO NOT get Rit Liquid Dye in Pearl Gray. I dyed my vest in it and it came out in a purple-grey color.

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Straka Zulu

« Reply #408 on: Jun 23, 2014, 12:33 AM »
DO NOT get Rit Liquid Dye in Pearl Gray. I dyed my vest in it and it came out in a purple-grey color.
Saw it on the shelf, said "That ain't dark enough", and left it there.
My other option for the blue is my wife's old scrubs, she's got some in a dark blue.

Back plate pics!

Got the shoulders evened out, will see how much needs trimmed later this week.  Also got them painted for the markings, will be taping it off for the final black coat.  that big blue-ish blob is the main point of damage, a lucky shot to the back as I ran from the scene.  8)

Xyyyr Black

• The REAL diamond collector
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #409 on: Jun 23, 2014, 02:31 AM »
Nice looking back plate! Love this kit how it's progressing!

++The jawalorian++

"Who am I? Ha! I am no one, I am a dark memory, I am your worst fear... I am the dark destructor, the haunter.. the lost one" -Xyyyr

Jay Krayt

• Practice makes progress
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #410 on: Jun 23, 2014, 10:35 AM »
That back plate is looking good  8) Also like your choice of helmet   8)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #411 on: Jun 23, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Thanks, fell in love with it when I first saw it on Clone Wars.  Still looking to get a Boba style one, though. Maybe next kit...  ;D

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #412 on: Jun 23, 2014, 11:49 PM »
Glad to see you finally wrestled the back plate into shape  :)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #413 on: Jun 23, 2014, 11:56 PM »
It has submitted to my will! >:( ;D :rolleyes:

Final paint app, had the same damn problem with my blue painter's tape as with the ab plate. Not as bad this time, though.  Going to hit it with some silver paint to make it look like wear and tear. Still need to check and see how much off the shoulders needs trimming. Other than that, pretty pleased with it. ;)

Now, on to the gauntlets!

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #414 on: Jun 24, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Nice work, man! It turned out great! Once you get the smaller weather on, it'll be superb.  8) I like how you did the orange accents too, by the way.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #415 on: Jun 24, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Thanks. The gauntlets are next, thinking straight black, with some "raised" orange accents to hide the closure method I'm using.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #416 on: Jun 26, 2014, 10:11 AM »
GAUNTLETS!! ...And some other parts... :rolleyes:

After some shaping and a repaint, got my gauntlets, the closure pieces, and my cod plate close to finished.
Just need a new can of the orange paint to finish them off.

Here's a closer-to-finished product.

« Reply #417 on: Jun 29, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Just looked through a bunch of this forum, can't wait to see the final product! :D

Bob A. Fett: Traveling Mandalorian Businessman at your service.
Helmet and Armor WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96839.0

Straka Zulu

« Reply #418 on: Jun 29, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Slow but sure, it's getting there.  Got the gauntlets their base coat of black, need to find some rattle-cans of my orange. 
Needing some tips on attaching the codpiece.  I have a couple belts I can attach it to, just trying to figure out a couple ways to do it.

Option A) Glue the clasp of the belt (military style, picked up from a Army/Navy surplus store) to the back of the plate.
Option B) Make slots in the piece for the belt to slide through.
Option C) Make "belt loops" out of spare plastic, and attach those to plate.

Side Note: Been kicking around the idea to become a Wookiee-lorian. 

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2014, 10:14 PM by STRAKAZulu » Logged

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
« Reply #419 on: Jun 29, 2014, 10:22 PM »
I just velcroed my codpiece to my flightsuit  8)

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #420 on: Jun 30, 2014, 12:07 AM »
Slow but sure, it's getting there.  Got the gauntlets their base coat of black, need to find some rattle-cans of my orange. 
Needing some tips on attaching the codpiece.  I have a couple belts I can attach it to, just trying to figure out a couple ways to do it.

Option A) Glue the clasp of the belt (military style, picked up from a Army/Navy surplus store) to the back of the plate.
Option B) Make slots in the piece for the belt to slide through.
Option C) Make "belt loops" out of spare plastic, and attach those to plate.

Scuff up the back of the cod and e6000 the belt right to it. It worked great to me.

Side Note: Been kicking around the idea to become a Wookiee-lorian.

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #421 on: Jun 30, 2014, 12:33 AM »
e6000 to a belt works wonders. its how I do.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Straka Zulu

« Reply #422 on: Jul 02, 2014, 01:16 PM »
Going to be painting the cod and knees today.
Any suggestions on weathering the cod? Already have plans on how to do the knees. Will post pics later.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #423 on: Jul 02, 2014, 01:19 PM »
id say mostly edges of the co, maybe a couple scrapes in random areas on it.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #424 on: Jul 02, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Going to be painting the cod and knees today.
Any suggestions on weathering the cod? Already have plans on how to do the knees. Will post pics later.

I would say weather any edges, and any prominent raised areas if you have a Fett-style one. Just be careful not to overdo it. It coul give off the site that you've been hit in the jewels far too many times. :P

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!