Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 902 Replies

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #500 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Will give the spray paint a try, couldn't hurt, right?

Yeah I would try it. Just bear in mind, that after you spray it, it'll seal the clothesline. That MAY effect later treatments.

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #501 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Kinda figured as much.  It's my first attempt at the girth, so it's not going to be perfect, or around for very long... :P :rolleyes:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #502 on: Sep 15, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Kinda figured as much.  It's my first attempt at the girth, so it's not going to be perfect, or around for very long... :P :rolleyes:

Yepp.... Everything needs an upgrade eventually. :D

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #503 on: Sep 16, 2014, 10:05 AM »

Well, here it is. :rolleyes:

And, NEW pointy thing!

Decided to leave the chipped sections, make it look like the blade has seen a lifetime or two of use. Obviously not beskar, but still a family heirloom. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #504 on: Sep 16, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Belt is looking good vod! I would clear coat it before you wear it to keep the paint from bleeding onto your suit.

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #505 on: Sep 17, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Is that....a lawnmower blade..?

Enby. They/them.| Aliit Ori'shya Taldin

Straka Zulu

« Reply #506 on: Sep 17, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Is that....a lawnmower blade..?
Cutting board.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #507 on: Sep 19, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Critique Time!!

Did a test fit the other day, and want the input of my vode.  I know the vest is a major problem, so the placement is one of the things I am aware of.

Didn't attach either of my holsters or the Bes'bev to the kit.
The right knee is a double-plate deal, trying an asymmetric look.  Might extend it up further, add an extra plate to the shoulder, and an elbow piece to the right gauntlet.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #508 on: Sep 19, 2014, 11:11 PM »
My advice: if you're going asymmetric, play it up.  If you only do one piece, it can look unbalanced... but the more unbalanced you make it the better it looks  :laugh:  Funny how that works, no?

Super jealous of your boots, by the way.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Straka Zulu

« Reply #509 on: Sep 20, 2014, 01:11 AM »
Yeah, found them on Amazon. Look for Dark Jedi/Sith boots.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #510 on: Sep 21, 2014, 03:08 PM »
OK Vod this is what i'm seeing ;) BUT app style pics would help  :P

apart from the wonky chest plates  :rolleyes: your knees are not even.

also you cod does look a bit high  ???

your close vod ;) only small things and they are mainly placement ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Straka Zulu

« Reply #511 on: Sep 21, 2014, 10:54 PM »
OK Vod this is what i'm seeing ;) BUT app style pics would help  :P

apart from the wonky chest plates  :rolleyes: your knees are not even.

also you cod does look a bit high  ???

your close vod ;) only small things and they are mainly placement ;)
All good in pointing out, Niabi. ;D Thank you.
The knees look offset, but there is a black secondary plate on the right knee, so they are aligned.  Might have to add some color to show that.
Cod was high in this pic, adjusted it a bit lower for the troop I just went on. 

As is always the case, wearing for an extended period will show exactly what you need to fix:
-Said knees need better attachments, elastic pulled loose.
-Helmet could use better ventilation and padding.
-NEED some insoles for the boots.
-Need to get better fixtures for the chest/ab plates.
-Shoulders of the backplate need better bends, float way too high off the shoulder... STILL... >:(

Other than that, had a blast!  Pics to come!

Straka Zulu

« Reply #512 on: Sep 25, 2014, 09:59 PM »

Action Figure Pose!
Need to fix so much...

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #513 on: Sep 26, 2014, 12:21 AM »
NICE! Very good, vod! :)

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Straka Zulu

« Reply #514 on: Oct 03, 2014, 01:40 PM »
OK, some minor updates:

So, fixed up a couple paint spots that had been bothering me, and added some ventilation to the bucket.  Next, might drill some small holes to the sides, in the groove of the earcaps, to be able to hear better.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #515 on: Oct 03, 2014, 01:45 PM »
Looks good vod-only thing I'd change is it looks like the botom keyslot is fully opened while the  rest are just cut with slits? it might be cool to cut them all full andthen put a perforate metal grill behind it like the metal  that covers speakers or something

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Straka Zulu

« Reply #516 on: Oct 03, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Yeah, was figuring on that. ;D

Straka Zulu

Re: My first build, looking for advice. Almost there...
« Reply #517 on: Oct 08, 2014, 06:12 PM »
So close I can taste it... Although, it could just be paint fumes. :rolleyes:
Got some ideas for taking up some real estate between my ab plate and girth belt, main one being one of the web belts I have, and hanging my pouches off of that.
Also, need to get some sticky-back Velcro for my knees, have to sew some of the regular kind to my elastic for that.
Need either a better Dremel tool, or a thin saw to open my keyholes further. Current tool isn't keeping a charge.
Pics to come, as I take them.

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
Re: My first build, looking for advice. Almost there...
« Reply #518 on: Oct 08, 2014, 07:20 PM »
So close I can taste it... Although, it could just be paint fumes. :rolleyes:
Got some ideas for taking up some real estate between my ab plate and girth belt, main one being one of the web belts I have, and hanging my pouches off of that.
Also, need to get some sticky-back Velcro for my knees, have to sew some of the regular kind to my elastic for that.
Need either a better Dremel tool, or a thin saw to open my keyholes further. Current tool isn't keeping a charge.
Pics to come, as I take them.

Check harbor freight or Menard's for their brand of rotary tools. They only rune about $15-20.

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Straka Zulu

« Reply #519 on: Oct 08, 2014, 07:40 PM »
Had one, but it kept telling me "Nnnnnnooooo, nnnnnno, nnnnnnooo...." as I tried to cut.

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #520 on: Oct 08, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Had one, but it kept telling me "Nnnnnnooooo, nnnnnno, nnnnnnooo...." as I tried to cut.

Does it still run? If so, you should pick up some cutoff wheels, as they do a great job cutting anything. :)

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Straka Zulu

« Reply #521 on: Oct 08, 2014, 09:19 PM »
That was with the cutoff wheels :'(

Going to borrow one, a Craftsman, from my buir. It's what I used to finish my visor.

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #522 on: Oct 08, 2014, 09:32 PM »
That was with the cutoff wheels :'(

Going to borrow one, a Craftsman, from my buir. It's what I used to finish my visor.

That's really odd. At least you have someone to borrow from! :)

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Straka Zulu

« Reply #523 on: Oct 13, 2014, 02:25 AM »
So tired of getting stuck with a 4-day on, 1-day off schedule at work. Leaves me zero time to plan or work on my kit.  Anywhoo... Going to try a few things out, see if I like where the ideas I'm coming up with take me. Pics to come.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #524 on: Oct 19, 2014, 01:56 AM »
Looking for input.  The black pouches were what I was using at Cincy, but they were on the belt holding my cod plate on.  The other is a handbag that I found lying around in a bin of Ren Faire stuff that belonged to my sister's ex.  Any chance I could use either of these (maybe both?) on a belt above the girth?

Painted the knees, so it's a little more apparent that I have an offset piece.  I want to continue this further up the kit, add a elbow guard to the right gauntlet, maybe  an extra plate at the shoulder.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!