Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 820 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!
« Reply #675 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Well, I've been talking to the boss, Mandalore, and he suggested using 20gu steel.  Not sure how I'll be able to cut it, since all I have are yellow-handled snips. I wouldn't trust my Dremel to do it.

Oh, here's my latest.

Had to do my Remo Lean.
Miss ya, vod.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #676 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:30 PM »
Dremel will cut 20ga steel just fine. Make sure you buy the reinforced blades, or they make a 'life time' grit blade that does a decent job as well. Your aviation snips should cut it fine as well, but it will be a literal pain. At the very least, you'll want to rough your plates out with the dremel to make cutting woth the snips a little easier

The only stupid questions, are the ones you're too afraid - or too proud - to ask.

MMCC International Costuming Standards - CLICK HERE

MQ+A FAQ - CLICK HERE

MQ+A Question Form - CLICK HERE

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #677 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Vod!  ;D
My main concerns about using a Dremel are mostly about noise and sparks, since I have to do this indoors.

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2018, 10:59 AM by Straka Zulu » Logged
MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Straka Zulu

« Reply #678 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:09 PM »
So, picked up some 22ga. steel for my rebuild.  Hope to have some shots to show once I have it cut.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #679 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:03 PM »
So, got a bit impatient; printed and used a set of WoF Jango Fett templates.

Collar should be cut tonight, and have a lot of cleanup to do.

And a size comparison with my originals:

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018, 02:09 PM by Straka Zulu » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #680 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:51 PM »
Nice!  Love seeing progress, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Yolah Hyperion

• "Speak softly and carry a heavy blaster"
« Reply #681 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:29 PM »
*heavy Breathing in Mando*

Damascus Beskar weapons found here:
https://www.facebook.com/Jaegers-Den-105988854882939

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises."
Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora
« Reply #682 on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:01 PM »
YEESSSSSSS!!!!! MORE METAL!

Sur'haai par sur'haai, Tal par tal, Skira Kelir cuyir Pal'vut
-EYE FOR AN EYE, BLOOD FOR BLOOD, REVENGE WILL BE MINE-NAHTA'IN KA'AR

Straka Zulu

« Reply #683 on: Mar 03, 2018, 09:57 PM »

So, I didn't post this here for some reason.

I also picked up a Mystery Box from UltraSabers... Nice milled aluminum with a red blade.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #684 on: Mar 04, 2018, 11:05 PM »
Nicely done, ner'vod.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Straka Zulu

« Reply #685 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:53 AM »
So, having spent a grand total of fourteen hours in kit this weekend, I have come to two realizations:
1) I need to find a way tp keep my knees and vambraces from biting me.
2) I am really looking forward to getting my metal plates done.

Yolah Hyperion

• "Speak softly and carry a heavy blaster"
« Reply #686 on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:26 PM »
So, having spent a grand total of fourteen hours in kit this weekend, I have come to two realizations:
1) I need to find a way tp keep my knees and vambraces from biting me.
2) I am really looking forward to getting my metal plates done.

Perhaps stick a small chunk of eva foam on the inside? Small enough to provide cushion but not large enough to be seen.
I did that with my gauntlets and while there is cushion, they don't chaffe (chaff? rub against) my forearms, then again I haven't ever been in a full kit so my credibility on that subject is hazy  :rolleyes:

Your metal plates will be very very interesting to see how they end up fitting and being shaped  :P

Damascus Beskar weapons found here:
https://www.facebook.com/Jaegers-Den-105988854882939

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises."
Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora

Straka Zulu

« Reply #687 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Had a bit of fun yesterday, tried to trim down the plates again.  Gave up after winding up with more than a few sparks hitting me in the face while I was trying to use a cutting wheel.

I also printed an April Storm DW vambrace, left. Got the halves epoxied, and a bit of wire in the hinge.

Now comes my dilemma... I'm shooting for the Striker Brigade, Assassin Profession. The PRL's say a streamlined gauntlet, so I'm wondering just how far to go in adding the bits and bobs to this.

EDIT: Is this too small? It closes just fine, but was wondering if I need to adjust the length.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2018, 02:35 PM by Straka Zulu » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #688 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:40 PM »
Nicely begun my friend :). Metal armor is the best armor, but I might be just a touch prejudiced there :P. You'll want to take a hammer to the edges just to flatten out where your dremel chewed a bit, but I'll admit I only actually read this page and skimmed the last few so you might already know that. For gaunts and knees, a bit of the thinnest eva foam (2mm, I believe) will serve to stop pinching, and you can always go a little thicker if you need the padding.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
« Reply #689 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:56 PM »
As long as it can still close over a flightsuit I don't see any issue with it  :laugh:

It seems pretty well streamlined to me, but i'm not in the Brigade so i'm not sure if it will work. Have you tried asking in the brigades directly?

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!