Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 902 Replies

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
Re: Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!
« Reply #775 on: Apr 05, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Nice work.  :like: Nite Owl!!!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #776 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:59 PM »
I'm hoping to have it repaired soon.  A friend of mine wants to try that Japanese technique that they used in TRoS on Kylo Ren's helmet.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #777 on: May 07, 2020, 11:25 AM »
So, just to give you guys a heads up, there's a new build incoming.  Few know about this, because I was waiting on the Post-Imperial CRL's to drop, and to get word on a helmet I had ordered.

Now that 1.5 of those have happened, here it is:
A HIM-Inspired Medic!  Actually, more like "him", but...

With a totally out-of-the-box paint inspiration:

Doing this in honor of my late father, who was a CPD Detective for 32 years in the second worst district.  And also to honor all our first responders, who have been busting their shebs long before the lockdown. 

So, here's where I am:  At present, the helmets are still being perfected by Bowfanny.  Very limited run, I think I lucked out in getting the funds for it when I did!

And someone shared a template for the standard P/I chest plates, so I'm going to try modding them for the Heavy style.
If it doesn't pan out, I'll try ... something.

As for my Mk.II, I'm looking to swap out the duster for this, at least for the times I don't feel up to all the leather weight.

Also, it'll be for when my Nite Owl gets repaired.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #778 on: May 07, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Nice! I dig it, looks like a solid concept and plan.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Straka Zulu

« Reply #779 on: May 31, 2020, 11:24 AM »
Wow... Really been neglecting these.

Weapons update!
Started with the Nerf Poe Dameron blaster (aka Glie-44).

Sanded off the logos and nubs from the top rail.

Screw holes filled, and first layer of metallic primer.

Masked, and pearl white applied to grips.

Pre-weathering finished product!

I'll probably have to replace the filler in the pump handle, but for now, it's troopable.

Hope to see you all soon!

Straka Zulu

« Reply #780 on: Jun 20, 2020, 08:18 PM »
Was just given something rather special:

According to a friend of mine, this is a WWII-era British ammo belt.  "Rare as hen's teeth," as he said.  Not sure if this will go on my current kit, or on the Medic I was planning.

And, time for you to shut off your trackers, vode.  I have acquired the bounty.

Jennari

« Reply #781 on: Jun 21, 2020, 01:47 AM »
Good on you, Strak!

Straka Zulu

« Reply #782 on: Jun 22, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Thanks, Jennari.

Minor update:

Trimmed the corners off the bottom plate for the backplates, and I'm hoping this helps solve the problem of it popping off of the vest when I move.
And I think that this set of belts will be for this kit.  While I think that making a Heavy-inspired Medic would be cool, I'm going to put it on the back burner, for now.

#WorkContinues

jthommes

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Operations Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #783 on: Jun 23, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Hi Vod,
         That ammo belt looks more like a WWII American standard web belt with M1 carbine ammo pouches, The Holster is newer issue. The M1 was a small .30 cal carbine that used 15 round straight mags that size. The Brits used the venerable .303 Enfield rifle which was used for the Jawa droid stun gun.That used a much larger cartridge than the pouches shown, or they used light machine guns.  If you do a quick internet search for M1 Carbine mag pouches and .303 Enfield Mag Pouches, you will see what I mean.

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2020, 08:58 AM by jthommes » Logged
Vorpan

Straka Zulu

« Reply #784 on: Jun 23, 2020, 10:38 PM »
The pouches are for a 1911, will hold 2 mags each.
The holster is a Bianchi  #UM84.  It will not be on the kit, as it also is for a 1911, and my blasters are a little bit more bulkier than that.

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #785 on: Jul 03, 2020, 10:11 PM »
 :like:

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Straka Zulu

« Reply #786 on: Oct 05, 2020, 01:32 PM »
Work has been slow, IRL stuff naturally took priority.  Was able to scrounge up some more stuff for my kit from my uncle’s estate, like a set of motorcycle gloves (and possibly some leather duty holsters, if I ask the executor nicely enough...).
Will post pics once I can. Still learning how to use an iPhone.  I’m used to Android.

Anywho... here’s what’s been done.  Got the visor trimmed out, and am putting a piece of sintra to reinforce the bottom of the “T”.  I’ll be leaving a slim gap at the bottom, to slide the visor material into.  This Nite Owl will be getting the new color scheme, the copper and black.

Was finally able to meet up with Tyno Krast, and he is working to repair my original buy’ce.  He didn’t even have it for an hour, and sent me progress pics.   The guy is awesome.  I can’t wait to troop with that bucket again!!

Jennari

« Reply #787 on: Oct 05, 2020, 03:13 PM »
Woo-hoo! Can't wait to see your classic Nite Owl back. I've missed that bucket like you wouldn't believe!

Straka Zulu

« Reply #788 on: Oct 05, 2020, 07:33 PM »

Woo-hoo! Can't wait to see your classic Nite Owl back. I've missed that bucket like you wouldn't believe!

:<3:
Thanks, vod.

Update: As promised...

This is why I need it fixed.  The green lines are where it cracked falling from a table at a con.  The peak of the visor was starting to curl in, while the cheeks started pulling away.
And thanks to Tyno...

It's back in shape.  And thankfully the repair isn't as drastic as I feared.

Now, on to the new buy'ce.
Here it is, fresh out of the box.

Trimmed out the visor, and am going to add a reinforcement to the bottom of the "T".

Grey Goblin Workshop does a killer job on their helmets!

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2020, 11:22 PM by Straka Zulu » Logged

Straka Zulu

« Reply #789 on: Oct 09, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Update:
Had an epiphany while talking to a friend about the kits.

I tried on the vest to see how things fit, and found the vest was still well-fit, but the plates (while comforting, weight wise) were uncomfortable.  I’d forgotten how the corners of the collar stabbed me in the shoulders, and the ab plate was cut cockeyed. So, new plan.

Mk.III is going to be a Post Imperial version of Zulu.  And, to comply with the CRL’s, the duster will be hung up, till such time as they allow it.  I will still be working towards Assassin and Pistoleer brigades with this kit, and this is where my OG Nite Owl and ComMando will live.

As for the second Nite Owl, that will now be for a second build, possibly for Medic brigade.  If anyone has ever seen the Cleveland EMS vehicles, they’ll know the color scheme.

Pics to come.

Update:  Pics are here.

The rare Straka Selfie has appeared!

This is what happens when steel and magnets are left alone for years.

Sketch of the chest plates I'd like to build.  Still to be in my classic black and orange.

Now, this is what I've done so far.

« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2020, 10:33 PM by Straka Zulu » Logged

Straka Zulu

« Reply #790 on: Oct 11, 2020, 08:26 AM »
Mini photo dump!
The coolness!

And the disappointment...

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #791 on: Oct 11, 2020, 01:34 PM »
Are those bubbles in the visor? You can sometimes get rid of bubbles in adhesive film by puncturing them (preferably in a hidden spot) with a pin and then shrinking the film with a hair dryer.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #792 on: Oct 18, 2020, 11:41 AM »
Yeah.  Going to try a couple things before I go cutting on it.

Switched back to my original vest.  At least until I can make its replacement.

Biodelta

• working to be great
« Reply #793 on: Oct 21, 2020, 11:43 PM »
Yeah.  Going to try a couple things before I go cutting on it.

Switched back to my original vest.  At least until I can make its replacement.

your looking  good love the colors XD and the vest  looks  great keep it  up  :like:

« Reply #794 on: Oct 22, 2020, 02:40 AM »
Looking good mate, I like that blue . A deep dark blue always reminds me of the bespin security gaurd figure....the good ol days 🤔
Keep it up

Straka Zulu

« Reply #795 on: Oct 27, 2020, 09:22 PM »
Looking good mate, I like that blue . A deep dark blue always reminds me of the bespin security gaurd figure....the good ol days 🤔
Keep it up

Thanks.  The Bespin guards were one of my favorites as a kid.

Backplate Update!

Had to space the plates out to cover damage from removing the original set.  Waiting on word from the Brigades to see if I can let it be, or need a plate in the middle.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #796 on: Nov 08, 2020, 07:21 PM »

So, here's a taste of what I would like to do for my Mk.III.  Maybe with, maybe without the cape.

Mk.II, like most of our kits, is still evolving.  Still working towards Assassin, possibly with Pistoleer as a cross-class.

Cleaning up Rebel scum.
Finally got some real pouches, and some "reloads" for them.  Need to figure out a greeblie to replace the follower and spring in the .45 mags I'm using.

And a more complete shot of my loadout.

A quick sketch of the vest I want to make.

And a bit of fun with the Child.

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2021, 01:01 AM by Straka Zulu » Logged

Straka Zulu

« Reply #797 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:51 PM »

State of the Build, 2021

As with most things, #workcontinues
Still evolving what I want to do with my builds.  But I found something that might kick this into overdrive.

A friend in my clan has been acting as an enabler for most of us, with him having just built an Ironsides buy'ce.  So, I checked out where he got the file, and fell in love with the Shrike.

Most things I'd like to do (building the Mk.III and second kits, any painting) are on hold, since it's the winter.  I hope to have more to add to this, soon.

I hope you all have a great year, and...

Good Luck, and Good Hunting!

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #798 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:59 AM »
That Shrike is a beauty!

Straka Zulu

« Reply #799 on: Feb 01, 2021, 10:01 PM »
Mail Call!
My Kalevala Visors came in, along with the chest display from Fi.

A HUGE thank you to Echota for being the go-between and enabler!

First, my secondary kit finally has it's eyes!

The knee darts, courtesy of Matchstick.  Once again, thank you.

And a bag of stuff I have no idea how to put together, but am sure I will have a blast figuring out.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!