Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 902 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!
« on: Jun 03, 2013, 05:48 PM »
OK, first off, I don't have pics yet, camera's being a pain in the shebs.  I hope to post some soon-ish.

Second, I am wondering on the proper spacing for the chest plates.  Using the large Jango Fett templates on my 6'5" frame.

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2016, 06:34 PM by STRAKAZulu » Logged
MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2013, 06:09 PM »
for reference, a direct quote from the CRLs " Good rule of thumb, maximum spacing should equal no more than 1 inch between collar/chest/gut plates. No more than 1/2 inch between diamond and chest plates."

in my opinion, one inch is a huge distance between plates on most people, around a half inch is optimal. however, given your larger frame, more space may be appropriate and properly proportional. best bet would be to throw some pics up here once you get your camera working, and we can see whats up. general rile of thumb is to start with larger plates, they can always be trimmed down to fit

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2013, 09:54 PM »
http://s95.photobucket.com/user/x_so_x/media/0603132113-00.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Having some trouble figuring out just exactly how to post an actual pic on here.

So, here's my paper template mock up, just for sizing.  I have them copied onto the panels from a tote bin, as this is my first attempt.  Bummed I can't use the CT helmet, but, them's the breaks.  Looking forward to finishing this, and going to WizardWorld CC in Columbus, OH.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2013, 09:57 PM »
This thread helped me with posting pictures: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=560.0

Hope it helps you.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Vor'e!

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2013, 12:54 AM »
Not too sure, but it looks like they're a tad small. Try to line up the bottom of the ab plate just above the belly button, then work up from there (that's what I do anyhow). These ones looks far too short.
Good luck with your build, vod!

Beskar'gam  |  Buy'ce  |  Gallery

Mandalorian Mercs OM #769
The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #058
B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Straka Zulu

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2013, 12:33 AM »

Is this better, or am I going to need the XL plates?  ;D

Thankfully haven't started cutting the plates yet, so I can go and cut the larger size if needed.

« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2013, 01:58 AM »
The width looks ok but  I think you need to make them longer. Long torso And all.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2013, 05:55 AM »
They're a little too small for you. Get the next size up and lets see what they're like on you.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2013, 10:31 AM »
Sounds good, should have that done today.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2013, 11:12 AM »
You might have to customize the sizing a bit, seeing as you're tall but not large. If you stretch the plates to make them a bit longer I think you'd be golden. I ordered my plates from a seller on here, and gave him my measurements, which he used to make a "one size fits all" set... I am not one size lol Took a lot of working to get it to my frame.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Straka Zulu

« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Vor'e for the tips. 

Does anyone know if hand wraps are still approved?  Don't have the money to buy or skill (yet) to build a set of gauntlets.  If they are, does anyone know of a pic to get ideas from?

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2013, 12:08 PM »
I don't believe hand wraps are allowed, but I do know you can do a hard top gauntlet with a leather bottom or something like that. I made my gaunts out of a toilet bowl brush cleaner kit I got at target. they come in big cups, and all you gotta do is cut the bottom off and cut it in half. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=49194.15 I just added some toy guns and painted the thing. super simple and cheap

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"

Straka Zulu

« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Going to see if Target still carries something like that, I know Walmart doesn't.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #14 on: Jun 17, 2013, 09:14 AM »
OK, just tried the XL templates, seemed to be a good fit.  Got the plates cut, not formed yet.  Will post pics soon-ish.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Here's an update.  Have a bit of news that will affect my build, first of which is I have a new job.  Still planning on attending WizardWorld CC in Columbus, though.

Now, on to the pics.  Not the best quality, but...

And what inspired me to try this:

Also, switched to the Boba XL templates.  Going to be trying to find some scrubs for the "flightsuit", and just printed up some templates for making a flak jacket.  Any suggestions on material?

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2013, 10:47 PM by STRAKAZulu » Logged

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 27, 2013, 11:05 PM »
That helmet is not going to fly.
Per the CRL's, "No modified Hasbro CLONE HELMETS or modified clone helmets not already approved."

Straka Zulu

« Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2013, 11:07 PM »
It's until I can save up for a real bucket. 

Other than that, how's the spacing? :D

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2013, 11:11 PM by STRAKAZulu » Logged

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Jun 27, 2013, 11:09 PM »
As long as your not planning to apply with it. ;)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #19 on: Jun 27, 2013, 11:12 PM »
Not going to try for an official kit yet, maybe with my MK. II  ;)
Need a little more confidence in my build skills, might try metal for my next one, unless I just order them...

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2013, 11:44 PM »
Other than that, how's the spacing? :D

Everything needs to be shifted up. Collar needs to be centered over the chest plates, line those outside edges up. Center the diamond in that opening. And a good rule to go by, the bottom edge of the ab plate usually sits right above the belly button. ;)

But, the paper template sizing looks good. Just match the real thing to that after pic and you'll be golden. :D

Straka Zulu

« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2013, 10:09 AM »
Vor'e.  Nice job on the photoshop. :)

It's tough centering things when you're doing it yourself.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2013, 03:25 PM »
What Seugtai said ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Straka Zulu

« Reply #23 on: Jul 02, 2013, 02:12 PM »
OK, been focused so much on getting the chest plates right, I completely forgot about from the waist down.  What is acceptable for knee/shin?  Not overly fond of the Boba or Jango style knees, is there an approved way to make the lowers a one-piece?  And Is having a loincloth still cool?  Most of these are just me not being confident in my armor-building skills, yet.

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #24 on: Jul 02, 2013, 10:51 PM »
Shnees is the nonspecific term for it. An yes its CRL. loin cloth and Kama are also acceptable, just make sure it fits with the rest of the kit. A random loincloth would look kinda odd.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!