Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Straka Zulu, Brigades or Bust!

• 820 Replies

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
Re: My first build, looking for advice
« Reply #45 on: Jul 23, 2013, 12:11 AM »
Don't sell yourself short. The more stuff you do on this one keeps you from having to do more in the long run. Have patience, and take the steps slowly.  ;D

| Enby. They/them. Please respect pronouns. | Aliit Ori'shya Taldin |

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #46 on: Jul 23, 2013, 02:10 AM »
Saw someone's shnee, just a mod of the regular shin plate, think I'm going to go with that.   Downside?  I need a little over 18" of material (plastic, metal, w/e) to make them.

Can someone find me the link to the MandoMaker?  I can't seem to find it, post-site rearrange.

Nevermind, found it.   

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2013, 02:17 AM by STRAKAZulu » Logged
MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #47 on: Jul 23, 2013, 11:18 AM »
What's the best way to bend the plates to what I need?  I'll be using a heat gun to soften them up, was just wondering how to get them to the right shape.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #48 on: Jul 23, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Heat gun, hands, gloves and a sponge of cool water is all I use. Shnees are a good route, I have a set that I bought off another merc that I'm going to be modding soon

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #49 on: Jul 23, 2013, 02:33 PM »
Ronin pretty much covered it right there, it's pretty straight forward.

Worst case, you've got some wrinkles and warps in the plastic. Easy enough to fix though, reheat and reshape til you're satisfied with it.  ;)

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Straka Zulu

« Reply #50 on: Jul 30, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Update!  :D

Armor still isn't shaped, but it is trimmed down a little.   Found this vest at a Salvation Army, need to find some fabric to cover the zipper and make pauldrons for the shoulder armor.   Planning on turning the airsoft shotgun into a flachette gun, and the Nerf gun will be a hold-out blaster.  Any tips if I want to make a sword, kinda want to be an assassin.

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #51 on: Jul 30, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Nice work so far, man! Can't wait to see how everything turns out.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #52 on: Jul 31, 2013, 11:43 AM »
Before I start on shaping, I want to run a test of the paint I just got, a can of Krylon Paint+Primer, metallic silver.  It says multi-surface, so I'm hoping it will not warp or melt the plastic.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #53 on: Jul 31, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Before I start on shaping, I want to run a test of the paint I just got, a can of Krylon Paint+Primer, metallic silver.  It says multi-surface, so I'm hoping it will not warp or melt the plastic.

Always a good idea to test it on some scrap material before painting all your armor.  ;)

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #54 on: Jul 31, 2013, 03:41 PM »
^Listen to Thaxos, he speaks the truth! ;)

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #55 on: Jul 31, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Home Depot has an awesome selection of plastic specific paints.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Straka Zulu

« Reply #56 on: Aug 01, 2013, 12:20 AM »
Had planned on doing the test today (7/31), but got tickets to see Weird Al.  Great show, and my 6yr. old's first concert (outside the womb).
Minor technical glitch aside, a great show.  So proud to see my "Mini-Me" singing along to White & Nerdy and Yoda. ;D

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
« Reply #57 on: Aug 01, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't paint on the armor before shaping it. Because when you use the heat gun, there's a big chance that it will make the paint run, especially since you are using plastic. I would just get the armor formed, and then worry about paint.  ;D

Thaxos

« Reply #58 on: Aug 01, 2013, 11:55 AM »
I believe he's only intending to paint a scrap test piece, and then will shape his armor before painting the actual armor.  ;)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #59 on: Aug 02, 2013, 10:45 AM »
That's the plan. :D

Got some Testors competition orange, Krylon Paint+Primer metallic silver, and Valspar flat black.

Any tips on weathering?  I've seen some people talking about mustard...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!