Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Riven Kassle's Custom Jetpack

• 33 Replies

Riven Kassle

• "Put your credits where your mouth is"
Riven Kassle's Custom Jetpack
« on: Jun 08, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Greetings brothers-in-arms,

I've been working on my custom Merc/Bounty Hunter again.  I already have a thread going for my armor build but I decided to start a new one for the jetpack since there's a section for it on the forums.  Hopefully this can be helpful to some of you guys.  I actually got quite a bit done before I realized I wasn't taking pics so the first snaps have quiet a bit of progress already.

Here's some photos of the basic build:  Lots of random pieces of different things.  I used a clear plastic square shaped organizing box as the base.  To connect all of these pieces, I used my trusty dremel and drill bits, lots of rivets and sometimes bolts with nuts.  Some of the plastic lightweight pieces were superglued when surfaces allowed for a firm hold.  Some of the random pieces on my build are:
An empty Tang bottle, a supplement bottle, a metal pipe from a standing oscillating fan, a couple of PVC pipe connectors, two crossover boxes for car audio, some clear garden house hose, the connectors that griptight the hose (not sure what they're called), an external HDD case, a chrome hairdryer barrel, some monitor wallmounting bases, little oil analysis bottles, a playdo cup, a paint can cap, an arm device from inside a multi-cd changer, lots of greeblies (buttons) are made from the plastic insets out of a crayola art kit.  They were meant to hold different water color paints and things like that.  I took the trays out, cut the pieces I wanted and flipped them upside down. (if you do this, I recommend filling them with apoxy or some other solid material so that they can't be crushed by bumping into something.)

Here you can see all of those plastic insets from things like a crayola art set.

Here you can see the Tang bottle well, and the black arm with the three green lights is the piece from inside a multi disc changer (custom dremeled to attach with a special fit to the HDD external case.

So next step:  I mixed up some two part epoxy.  In the next pics, you can see that I took a plastic egg from one of those surprise toy machines, filled it with epoxy and pushed it down as a missile topper.  Also I've masked off the hoses in preparation of paint.  I used Bondo spot and glazing putty all the way around the piece of wood that I cut to be the backplate(door) to the jetpack.  You'll see it as a red ring around the base in these pics.  The purpose of doing that was to hide the fact that it was wood.  The top and bottom of the piece already had a vinyl layer over it.  Now you can't tell it's wood at all.

I filled in the top of the Tang bottle with epoxy.

I drilled some holes in the oil analysis bottles and put some silver inlets in the holes (those things you have in the holes of your belt sometimes)

I ringed epoxy all the way around these rocket launchers on the sides in a manner that makes them look like a welding seam

With the chrome exhaust and clear pieces of the audio crossovers detached and the hoses masked, I took the jetpack outside for some black paint.

Paint and clear-coat applied, back in the garage and assembled the pieces, removed the masking tape.

Sorry some of those were blurry.  My phone didn't like that particular lighting.

And that's all for today.  Tomorrow will take it further.  And I haven't shown you guys the straps and back-plate yet.

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Riven Kassle's Custom Jetpack
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2013, 05:42 PM »
in my opinion, most custom jetpacks dont look so great because they try and use odd shapes or not enough greeblies or too much greeblies or this or that. sometimes im not sure why i dont like them. this one is spot on and magnificent. keep up the good work

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Riven Kassle

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2013, 06:13 PM »
in my opinion, most custom jetpacks dont look so great because they try and use odd shapes or not enough greeblies or too much greeblies or this or that. sometimes im not sure why i dont like them. this one is spot on and magnificent. keep up the good work

Thanks Einn_Karel!  :D

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Very Nice vod ;) im not normally a huge fan of jetpacks but i like yours

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Vardamir

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2013, 02:40 PM »
thats really nice....... a classic look with a modern twist :) can be hard to pull that look off but you aced it

Riven Kassle

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Very Nice vod ;) im not normally a huge fan of jetpacks but i like yours

Mega thanks! I'm glad you guys like it so far. it's been a blast to build and I think it'll be so much more better when I'm done. I wasn't sure if I could pull off a jet pack but it's just been flowing nicely.

Riven Kassle

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2013, 04:58 PM »
thats really nice....... a classic look with a modern twist :) can be hard to pull that look off but you aced it
Thanks brother! so you see the classic look to it do you? That is great to hear. I certainly tried to build in that direction

Riven Kassle

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2013, 03:44 AM »
Hey guys,

Here's a little diagram I set up to show the build materials used to create this pack.  There'll be more to it when it's done but I think it would be helpful to kind of give an idea of what otherwise useless materials that can be turned into a great prop.

Riven Kassle

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2013, 05:17 PM »
FINISHED (for now):  I have my jetpack ready for Celebration Europe 2.  So much more I want to do to it but I need to move on to the rest of the incomplete things on my costume first to make sure I'm ready for Celebration Europe.

Not exactly a photoshoot:  Still just using my phone camera with less than optimal lighting but I'll get around to doing nice photos when I'm not using my time to work on the costume.  The braids hanging from the pack are padawan braids.  (hate them jedi) The blue writing in Aurebesh says Skyfire (the brand name).  Also the white tiny writing on the top says Kassle and there's a warning on the back plate just above the exhaust that says "hot!"

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2013, 05:22 PM »
dude.....
awesome. i love what you did with the EL wire.

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Riven Kassle

« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2013, 05:26 PM »
dude.....
awesome. i love what you did with the EL wire.

Thanks dude! :D  It'll be better once I have more time for the jetpack.  I was thinking of sending some chrome braided wire through the tubes with the EL wire wound around it rather than just running through the tubes by itself.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2013, 01:22 PM »
Looks awesome vod ;)

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Riven Kassle

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Looks awesome vod ;)

Thanks vod! :) happy you like it!

Riven Kassle

« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2013, 06:36 AM »
Finally got around to taking some good photos of my jetpack.  It will evolve some more in the future.  I still have plans for some LEDS which will be controlled by the switches on my forearm armor.  I'd also like to install some hydration capabilities in the pack too, maybe a Camelback.  There's also plenty of room to place my battery packs in the jetpack for things like my voice box, etc.  I still need to figure out how to dye/color the fake hair braids.  I'd like to have some variety in their color rather than all blonde.  Hair dye won't take to the fake hair.  Anyone know of anything that works for this?

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2013, 02:51 PM »
Im not a Massive jet pack fan but....

Top work ;)

Riven Kassle

« Reply #15 on: Jun 18, 2013, 11:51 PM »
Im not a Massive jet pack fan but....

Top work ;)

Well, I'm set for life :)  Got my "Niabi Like"!  Thanks Vod, I am very grateful for your compliment!

Zechs

• Overkill is underrated
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2013, 10:42 PM »
2 things here:

1.  I want that RC helmet!

2.  As far as the jetpack is concerned, all I can say is:

AKA "Lightning Rod"

"Heh.  You survived?  I can fix that."

MMCC #1082
BOMB #41
MABEL #54
ALUMINATI #28

Riven Kassle

« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2013, 01:47 AM »
2 things here:

1.  I want that RC helmet!

2.  As far as the jetpack is concerned, all I can say is:

LOL thanks Zechs!  Appreciate that buddy!  You may be able to get an unpainted version of the RC helmet from a buddy over on whitearmor.net if he's still making them.  I put a link to reach him in my costume build thread that you can see if my signature.  I got my helmet a while back so I'm not sure if HE is making them still but they're top notch quality.  VERY sturdy ;)

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2013, 09:49 AM »
Really nice work! It came out great.

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2013, 10:03 AM »
Very cool!

IG  -  @suzylamoureuxdrums

Riven Kassle

« Reply #20 on: Jul 03, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Really nice work! It came out great.

Very cool!

Thank you guys!  Awesome that you like it! 

Corvas Ta'niyr

• Sushir at taor be simir
  • Awards 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Most invasions trooped in 2017 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Jul 07, 2013, 04:57 PM »
In case no one has suggested it yet - for the padawan braids - use RIT dye.  the braids are probably made of nylon which has been know to suck up the RIT brand dye like there's no tomorrow.  Find a decent brown (maybe a burnt sienna) and a black (sable) and leave one as the blond.  If I recall correctly - the instructions for the RIT is that you add it to hot water and immersing the nylon into the hot water does something to the surface that interacts with the chemical composition of the dye so that more colorant gets drawn into the surface of the material and thereby creating a better color bond.

BTW - the jetpack - DAYUM!!! :o :D 8) :o :D 8)

Marsh Wilste
Ne'tra Balcin
Seron Clan

Sushir at ashi- o' at katahre bal kathtare- val mr ganar etie gehat'ik at rejorhaa'ir - Listen to others - even the dull and ignorant - They too have their story to tell.

G.O.M.O.L # 004
MiB #003
GBOT #013

Riven Kassle

« Reply #22 on: Jul 08, 2013, 02:51 AM »
In case no one has suggested it yet - for the padawan braids - use RIT dye.  the braids are probably made of nylon which has been know to suck up the RIT brand dye like there's no tomorrow.  Find a decent brown (maybe a burnt sienna) and a black (sable) and leave one as the blond.  If I recall correctly - the instructions for the RIT is that you add it to hot water and immersing the nylon into the hot water does something to the surface that interacts with the chemical composition of the dye so that more colorant gets drawn into the surface of the material and thereby creating a better color bond.

BTW - the jetpack - DAYUM!!! :o :D 8) :o :D 8)

Marsh Wilste
Ne'tra Balcin
Seron Clan

Awesome! Thanks so much for the tip! That's exactly what I needed to know!  I will get me some of that dye and get that taken care of.  I appreciate the compliment too! :D

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #23 on: Jul 28, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Too AWESOME !!

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

Riven Kassle

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!