Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Alternate Jetpack attachment method?

• 4 Replies

Jacad Moonstar

• The Ghost of Alaris Prime
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Alternate Jetpack attachment method?
« on: Jun 11, 2013, 10:50 PM »
My Custom made Jetpack is about 10lbs and I'm now debating on attachment methods. I am not really fond of using harness for this means I have to cut holes into my vest, Which I honestly don't feel like doing. After looking at my back plate and Jetpack. I realized I hat a big roll ofIndustiral velcro and am now thinking about using it to help keep my jetpack still. I will, however still use nylon web straps to keep the Jetpack study in case the Velcro fails. The Straps will be attached via bolts near my shoulders and can connect and disconnet with strap buckles.  The straps will be my primary attachments, while the velcro will serve as reinforcement to prevent the jetpack from flopping around when moving.

I will get pictures of my Jetpack in a bit. It's my V1 Jetpack that I decided to repaint and redo since my last missile for it got destroyed.

MVS Founder

♫Springtime for Vader and Palpatine! Winter time for Alderaan and Hoth!♫

Riven Kassle

• "Put your credits where your mouth is"
Re: Alternate Jetpack attachment method?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Hey bud, from the way you describe it, it sounds like it would hold well. I would say: before you do all the work with the velcro, connect those straps/buckles and just walk around a bit and see if the jet pack weight pulls your outfit in a weird way. The key will be whether or not it makes the front of your vest or suit ride up towards your neckline because of the weight pulling it down from the back.  If that doesn't give you any issues, I say go ahead with the rest of your plan.  Nice industrial velcro will be able to keep it from swaying ;)

good luck vod!

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Like Riven said, the biggest issue with that method will the the weight of the pack (even though it isn't all that much) pulling back and down. I understand your reservations about cutting holes int your vest, but it's somethng that will be covered by your backplate and it's also easy to do and will be a much better solution IMO. Also having a lot of velcro holding your pack on, and straps that are bolted onto the outside of your back plate won't look anywhere near as clean, and will mean that you don't have the option of trooping without the Jetpack if you ever wanted to.

Jacad Moonstar

• The Ghost of Alaris Prime
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2013, 05:44 PM »
I actually have finished attaching my Velcro on my backplate. MY Jet pack sticks fine when standing still, but I feel if I do too much movement, It can fall off if I do the Gangnam style.  :P

I'll cut two strips of Sintra to serve as caps over my my Velcro if I decide to troop without my jetpack.

So I'm going to something interesting. With Straps and buckles, I'll have buckles slip into my backplate, where i already have holes cut to slip them in. I'll have the remaining end of the male buckles inside my backplate. They'll be riveted on the inside of my backplate. My Backplate is attached solely by Velcro and has never given me any problems of being loose. Just need to reinforce the stitching.

MVS Founder

♫Springtime for Vader and Palpatine! Winter time for Alderaan and Hoth!♫

Riven Kassle

• "Put your credits where your mouth is"
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2013, 07:01 AM »
It will be interesting to see photos of how you're doing this.  I hope it works out like you plan.  It would have a nice visual to it.  I'm just worried about the extra weight and even more important, the new directional tugging the backpack will create and how that will affect the stability of your velcro.  Wishing you the best, I'll be watching!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!