Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Byrek's ESB Boba (501st APPROVED)

• 185 Replies

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
Byrek's ESB Boba (501st APPROVED)
« on: Jul 09, 2013, 08:08 PM »
I decided that I should get started on Boba. I decided to make the plates out of PVC to pinch a couple (Thousand) pennies. My updated budget list will be posted below. When showing the progress of these plates to Stormtrooperguy, he said he was impressed with the shape and that it could work.

I wanted to finish one plate before continuing in order to make sure I could do it. Here are the progress pictures. I took a bunch to demonstrate that I could achieve the depth factor and the weathering with rattlecans:

My yellow:

My green after weathering (before blackwash):

Here is where I am so far. all pieces are in various stages of completion.

Here is my updated budget and the status of each item:

Helmet: Get one from Bob for $90 - Yet to be ordered

Jetpack: I'll probably go with MoW for $300 - Yet to be ordered

Flightsuit: Bought one off of TDH for $100. Also has a built in neckseal which saves me $25 from Arkady. He claims it's the right color, but I'm not sold - Ordered, not yet paid.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj616/Meshelville/photo1_zpsfea21aa8.jpg

Vest: Arkady - $50 Talked to her, and can't order until August.

Boots: Meep. $150 MoW. I'm going to try to make my own, but I'm not holding my breath. - Not yet ordered.

Gauntlets: I have a set of resin ones with all doodads. I just need to replace the bottoms.

Gloves: not sure what I'm doing about these yet... $10-$90

Girthbelt: Have it, just need to keep dying it.

Ammo belt: Easy enough to do, just a little elbow grease. $30 - Yet to start.

Sidearm: $110 off of ebay, and I plan on trying to make the holster. $140 - Yet to be ordered/started.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Boba-Fett-Hand-Blaster-ESB-PROP-/111096237331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ddda0d13

Armor Itself: I'll be unrolling PVC for most of it aside from Cod,knees, and back. So far, $6. Back, and knees

Paints: Budget painting for $50 So far - $12

Wookie braids: Braiding my own with weave hair - $6

Shin tools: I think they're like $50 for the original parts with mods?

EE-3: Ordered to have it made for $215. - Ordered, half paid for.

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2013, 08:43 AM by Byrek Avery » Logged

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Byrek's ESB Boba
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2013, 08:20 PM »
Looks like a good plan. It does look like that green is a bit too dark though.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2013, 03:07 PM »
Looks like a nice start vod ;) do go on ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Byrek Avery

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2013, 10:31 PM »

So I did the 3D weathering on the Right shoulder and Left chest plate. I DO plan on making these smoother, but they're the appropriate depth (I think). Thoughts?

Ill be priming and beveling tomorrow night.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2013, 11:40 AM »
it looks good to me  ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ca'tra Firaxan

• Proud procrastinator since 2013
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2013, 12:50 PM »
It's always nice to see a boba build. I love the 3D weathering.

Byrek Avery

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2013, 11:38 PM »
More dents.... more clean up... Something doesn't look right? Speak up!

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Fenrir Bralor

• All right. Let's go.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2013, 07:53 PM »
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Byrek Avery

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Ab plate :)

Finished (constuction wise) right shoulder:

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Naglium

• I love it when a plan comes together!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Boba and Jango
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Keep up the good work.  Soon you'll be able to add a "BH" to your "TX"  ;D

Byrek Avery

« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Soon you'll be able to add a "BH" to your "TX"  ;D

Haha, I hope so! My original deadline was January 2015, but I'm REALLY enjoying working on this. But now I think I want it done for June 2014. Think that's pushing it?

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Naglium

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Boba and Jango
« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2013, 12:07 AM »
Some people need a deadline to help move things along.  Others see deadlines as pressure, and can cause stress.  I try to make a big event the "deadline" (Woburn, St Pats, BCC, etc..).  Do what works for you.  Just keep working on it, and when its done, its done.

BobaFiend

• "Put Captain Cargo in the Solo Hold"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Boba and Jango Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2013, 03:35 AM »
I wouldn't by anything other than aluminum parts from evolution. I hear their resin parts are crap.  Also that flightsuit looks right for ROTJ but not for ESB. 

Your armor green looks too dark to me, what color and brand is it?

Byrek Avery

« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2013, 08:42 AM »
I wouldn't by anything other than aluminum parts from evolution. I hear their resin parts are crap.  Also that flightsuit looks right for ROTJ but not for ESB. 

Your armor green looks too dark to me, what color and brand is it?

Yeah, I heard about Evolution after posting the list.

For the flightsuit, like I said, I'm not sold on the color. He insists, but for $100, it could be green and if be okay with it. Speaking of green, it's hunt club green. I'm going to black wash it before messing with the color.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

BobaFiend

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Boba and Jango Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2013, 01:11 PM »
The ESB left chest plate is more blue than hunt club green. Mine is a base of Rusto Spruce Green misted heavily with Krylon Navy Blue and misted lightly with Rusto Hunt Club Green and Rusto Flat Black. 

The Krylon hunter green is too green, make sure you're using Rustoleum.  If you planned to do all the plates the same color- I would not use Rusto Hunt Club Green as your main color.  It's far too dark. Use it as a misting color over a lighter green.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=64467.msg957703#msg957703

Naglium

« Reply #15 on: Jul 13, 2013, 08:47 PM »
If you ask nicely, I'm sure Bob or Brian might let you see theirs.  Bob's Fett was good enough, that he, is on the side of the box of the Boba Helmet with voice changer.

Byrek Avery

« Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2013, 08:38 PM »
Been a busy day...

Going good.....

Going good.....

AHHH WHAT THE $#^%&^?!

I spent a ton of time masking these today, and just when I thought I was coming together, I decided to blackwash it, and it came out WAY too dark. Plus, I spent soooo much time trying to figure out the correct shade for the orange, and once I was happy, the paint was peeling off with the masking fluid because it was so think.

Any guesses on who has tomorrow off from work and who is going to be spending all of his time painting AGAIN?

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Naglium

« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Any guesses on who has tomorrow off from work and who is going to be spending all of his time sanding and re-painting what he did incorrectly today?

Fixed that last sentence for you :D

Byrek Avery

« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2013, 10:46 PM »
Fixed that last sentence for you :D

Sounds about right  :laugh:

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

BobaFiend

« Reply #19 on: Jul 16, 2013, 12:03 AM »
That damage is really big and not very accurate.  Here are some resources to help you out.

Stencils: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/boba-fett-esb-armor-stencils-42095/
Masking Process (among other helpful videos): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwc1ZMy1E9E&feature=c4-overview&playnext=1&list=TLESNJpDaCQ_4

Masking and painting should take a number of days at least in order to be well done and accurate.  I would take your time. 

Byrek Avery

« Reply #20 on: Jul 16, 2013, 12:40 AM »
That damage is really big and not very accurate.  Here are some resources to help you out.

Stencils: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/boba-fett-esb-armor-stencils-42095/

So how do you really feel? Haha, just kidding. I'd expect nothing less. I've been using those stencils, but only eyeballing it. Due to the lack of craft stores around me, I've been using toothpaste which while great and all, I'm just striking out with doing minuscule weathering with it. I have another idea that I'm going to execute tomorrow to see how it works.

Masking and painting should take a number of days at least in order to be well done and accurate.  I would take your time.

I'm not much of a take my time kind of guy. I work a lot in one sitting. Maybe it's my downfall, but like I said, I have an idea.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

BobaFiend

« Reply #21 on: Jul 16, 2013, 01:06 AM »
Sorry if I'm a bit blunt. I know you can take it!  :P I hope you don't mind, if you're making a Boba I'm gonna tell you what I think.

It helps a LOT to draw the damage on with a soft (6B) artist pencil first and then fill it in with masking fluid. I use Windsor Newton and it works okay- it's a bit runny for my taste.  I apply my masking fluid with a cut off end of a Q-tip. I use the cardboard stick cut at a 45 degree angle for a nice tip that can soak up some fluid but remain rigid.  I would get some masking fluid and pencils off Amazon if you absolutely can't get them near  you. 

Byrek Avery

« Reply #22 on: Jul 16, 2013, 08:20 AM »
Sorry if I'm a bit blunt. I know you can take it!  :P I hope you don't mind, if you're making a Boba I'm gonna tell you what I think.

It helps a LOT to draw the damage on with a soft (6B) artist pencil first and then fill it in with masking fluid. I use Windsor Newton and it works okay- it's a bit runny for my taste.  I apply my masking fluid with a cut off end of a Q-tip. I use the cardboard stick cut at a 45 degree angle for a nice tip that can soak up some fluid but remain rigid.  I would get some masking fluid and pencils off Amazon if you absolutely can't get them near  you.

Sir, I wouldn't make a Boba if I couldn't take the heat  ;D

That's a really good Idea with the pencil! I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try.  8)

Expect pictures later.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

pyromastermuaddib

• Dark Smokepuncher
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #23 on: Jul 16, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Watching this thread, gonna start on my ESB boba soon! you've inspired me!

I would just like everyone to know that I suck... And that I'm a girl... And I like ribbons in my hair... And I want to kiss all the boys.

Naglium

« Reply #24 on: Jul 16, 2013, 02:42 PM »
I'm not much of a take my time kind of guy. I work a lot in one sitting. Maybe it's my downfall, but like I said, I have an idea.

Patience, my young padawan.  Good things come to those who wait.  Taking your time and doing it right is better than rushing, messing up, and having to start over.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!