Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How many electronics CAN you stuff into a helmet?

• 16 Replies

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
How many electronics CAN you stuff into a helmet?
« on: Jul 24, 2013, 10:46 AM »
I've had lots of questions about how much electronics i have in my helmet.  Everything I've had in my helmet has varied over the years, I've been able to do some pretty cool and exciting things as well as figure out what NOT to do. 

Here's a short video showing everything currently installed in my helmet, what it does, and how it works.

And yes, I still have room to put more stuff. :)

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: How many electronics CAN you stuff into a helmet?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2013, 11:40 AM »
wow. i can imagine that is quite a snug fit with everything crammed in there

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Actually, it's still pretty open.  Modern style helmets flare out as they move down from the dome, so you can get a good amount of stuff in if you follow the flare.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2013, 03:06 PM »
What, no direct neural interface?

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Antana Foncv

• "I can live with that."
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2013, 11:44 PM »

;)

ArlynDarkskull

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Where did you pick up the microphones and speakers and switches?  I'm thinking of a slightly less ambitious helmet, but I'm trying to figure out the most cost-efficient way to do it.

Modern Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=73466.0

Build Status: 40%

M.A. #120
M.A.J.I.C. # 135
M.A.D. # 051
V.O.T.S. # 010
M.V.S # 009 (nu su)
M.T.S # 036 (nu su)
K.O.M.S. # 004
E.R.A. # 023
V.R.C.A # 047

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2013, 02:54 AM »
You can get bulk switches and components from Deal Extreme...

I think the standard for motherboard batteries are CR2032s...and is it just me or are less and less people throwing out electronics than they used to 5-8 years ago?

Are there any particular steps to be taken for integrating a voice amp into a buy'ce, or is it more-or-less trial and error to find a good volume that doesnt make it scream with feedback?   I was contemplating replacing the rheostat on mine with a potentiometer  and once I find the loudest I can get it just put a dab of hot glue to keep it from changing the ohms...   also; any idea what the impedance of those speakers would be?  or perhaps an ideal rating for helmet integrated speakers?

I apologise for the wall of questions but I have to get the VoiceAmp integrated before a convention I staff next weekend and don't think I'll have the time to figure all the variables and compensate for them via trial and error...

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Dresdon, the short and simple method:

Put on mic and adjust it to be near mouth, clip the amp to your belt.

Turn on amp, increase volume til it sounds decently loud, talk and test it, if you get feedback turn it down until feedback stops.

;)

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Gel'ren Drask

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2013, 01:09 PM »
What, no direct neural interface?

I think blink commands are next.  Or a 360 HUD.

Gel'ren "Mercelangelo" Drask Firestorm Clan
E.M.T.S #40
B.E.A.R.D.S #23

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Dresdon, the short and simple method:

Put on mic and adjust it to be near mouth, clip the amp to your belt.

Turn on amp, increase volume til it sounds decently loud, talk and test it, if you get feedback turn it down until feedback stops.

;)

I found laptop speakers with little housings that might be for sound insulation?   Too bad your speakers are of an unknown impedance :x
, I'll post my findings on my electronnics thread after the repaint on my buy'ce is done.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Buir Be An Vheh'ade

• CMDR Flavor Fleet, Wampa Squadron SBYL-17-01
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2013, 03:59 AM »
id love to see more on the electronics inside the helmets  ill have to keep looking through the threads to see whats all here. but  my plans for my bucket. are  a voice amp with ipod mp3  conector   (amazon  30 bucks) mini or micro ipod with atmosphere / radio sound bites playing through speaker. mic for me to talk to  guest  to through the speaker. a set of evilboy squirellfans. audio enviroment enhancement so i can hear  others with my bucket on.  i would love to find the great  balance of things for all of this  the balance of price to space savings  in the thinnest  moderate working  that sufices my needs. hahaha if that made sense.

Chef A'lor -"Fear is the path that leads to the burnt side", B.O.M.B.#6 Cmdr PacificPastramiPacking fleet
Wrangalorian#002, M.A.#179,  Draluram (mandalorian chef society)#018, Mando wraps#003 Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion)#25
I AM THE BEAST MASTER - "Wampa it's whats for dinner"

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2013, 04:32 AM »
evilboy's fans are worth it. I love mine. no problem trooping non-stop in bucket. I also recently got a mic set up to hear people better. it sits in a pocket with earphones fed under my vest. it needs to be adjusted to find the perfect poit where dtatic is minimized and voices are maximized

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2013, 04:26 PM »
I have a pretty ambitious plan for both of my helmets (Mando & RC), but focusing on the RC first as I need to retire my current Mando due to some collectory type issues (currently my helmet contains 3 autographs). The plan for both is as follows...

- Standard issue fans
- Lighting (LED/EL strips around visor & LED spot lamps for both)
- Voice amp & audio pickups (the latter was added to the list after seeing Mandalore's helmet at PCC   :o)
- 2-way radio
- I also have a new HUD overlay in the works (non-functional unfortunately)

All controls will be wired (wanted to make them wireless, but alas I may have to admit defeat there) in from my left gauntlet & will consist of...

- toggle buttons for spot lamps & voice amps
- PTT button for the radio
- My mando will have a button on my gauntlet for the visor light & the RC's will be controlled via pressure switch that will turn
  the light on when I put the helmet on
- my fans for both will also be activated by this power switch to save battery life.

as I said, it's pretty ambitious & i know almost nothing about electronics, but I'm soaking up research info & advice like a sponge so I have no doubt that with the help of folks like Mandalore, a few members of my clan & any of you willing to provide info, I will have these upgrades done for C7. I will definitely keep you all posted via my WIP as I make the upgrades

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2013, 09:51 PM »
If you ever need any help just pm me, ive been doing it since I was 7 :3

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards EnviroOps Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2014, 04:35 AM »
A little necrothreading here, but I wanted to ask a question to Mandalore.

Would it be possible to draft up a schematics of the different parts in your helmet? what's connected to what, what each part is made of?

thanks ahead!!

EDIT; I'm slowly but surely reverse-engineering the entire helmet contents from pictures, the above clip and facebook comments :) Want to see just how accurate I can get untill our beloved Mandalore posts :P

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2014, 04:08 PM by Anvilian B'Gard » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!