Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Montross Aluminium Armour Build (My first armour build too)

• 31 Replies
Well helmet is well under way, Jet pack well under way and now the armour is underway.

Thank's to WoF who was kind enough to scale up plans for a 6ft 5 individual. I finally got around to starting this and being brave and doing it in Aluminium.

So photos.....

"Plans are Afoot"

The first cut, so NO turning back now!

Torso Armour all cut out.

FRONT

REAR

So started but a long way to go.

So quick questions.

A, Best way to attach Aluminium armour to vest?
B, What is the best way to tackle the groin armour?

Look forward to input from you guys.

A Good Combatant know's when to dump liability kit. Seems NOT all Mando's know this.

"Dump the Jet Pack to fight another day"

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Montross Aluminium Armour Build (My first armour build too)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Nice start!

I've never attached aluminum but I assume you could use the same methods as plastic; Velcro, Screws/bolts, rivets, or snaps.

As for the Cod piece you can use the same WOF templates.

I used 1/8" Sintra for the main triangle part folded it to shape then glued a 1/4" piece of Sintra on top to give it the thickness, for aluminum I would try cutting out the upper cod piece in wood them bend the aluminum over it to create a 3D form, you'll need to cut out "darts" for the round edges, the main part is just a triangle shaped piece, you can cut "darts" out on the lower section in order to bend it back underneath.

I hope that gives you some help, good luck.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2013, 01:05 PM »
Thank's Tact Kor.

Would love to keep the groin aluminium too but yeah bit wary on that LOL  As said Never done an armour build, let alone one in this material.

The reason for choice on Aluminium, was simple really. Most events I do I have to travel via train (occasionally a lift), so wanted to make it sturdy as I will be wary enough over the lid and jet pack as it is LOL
 Plus the weathering/battle damages to the armour will only Add to it I think being Aluminium.

A Good Combatant know's when to dump liability kit. Seems NOT all Mando's know this.

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2013, 01:10 PM »
I'll try using it some day, but for now I know I'd just ending cutting my hands as I don't have much patience  :laugh:

It looks like it is a challenge to work with and should give you a nice kit once done, I 've seen other members using it so reach out to them I am sure they can share some tips.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Thanks again Vod.

Nate Jangotat

• Just trying to make my way in the universe...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Boba and Jango
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Looks good bud - once you have bent to the shape of you body. worth testing the size to see if any trimming required before painting up ;)

Keep at it :)

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Looking really good

What thickness aluminum are you using?

Cos im tempted too try this too

im book-marking you so no pressure  :P

My WiP's

Helmet:   40% - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=77459.msg1169606#msg1169606
Rifle:   25% - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=77633.0
Soft-Parts:   Flightsuit http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=92386.00%,   Vest 50%,   Boots 80%
Armour:   25% - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=76342.0

Arctic Kit @ 0%
((Weapons, Gaunts, Kama, Cape, Gloves,
Fur's, Survival Equipment, Extended Bucket))

B.E.A.R.D.S. #064
Elegant Mandos Tea So

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2013, 03:05 PM »
Nice start vod ;)

tape the plate to you so we can check the size ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2013, 03:50 PM »
Off to a good start.

This:
What thickness aluminum are you using?

And this:
tape the plates to you so we can check the size ;)

« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Thanks Guys and hope to do this armour build and character justice..

Will get some tape (ran out) and do a dry fit for you guys :D

As for Aluminium thickness its 1mm thick.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2013, 04:34 AM »
Just a quick question to those who have done their armour in Aluminium.

What is the best way to round the edges off?
I know it will be attached to a leather vest but still, best to round off No?

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2013, 12:16 PM »
Roll the edges and sand the physical edge to make it blunt.

Rolled edges will give your plates a sense of depth to the metal armor.  ;)

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2013, 12:29 PM »
^^^

Kinda like you see in this post in my WIP thread. It was, in my opinion, a very good thing they did when sculpting and vacu-forming the original armor for Episode V -- it gives the armor more of a sense of substance, but subtle (almost subconscious) cues also let on that it's not just a thick slab. Things like where the collar and back armor overlap, or the cod and the butt, and you can see the edges. Or the (lack of) depth of the chest display or the emitter in the middle of the chest diamond...

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Dralsya Adén

• Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Aug 08, 2013, 12:51 PM »
I have not done my armor in metal YET, but from I have learned I think bolts would be best. Get a canvas vest and bolt the armor to that would be my suggestion. It looks great vod, your off to a good start.

Peregrinus

« Reply #14 on: Aug 08, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Bolts are a good technique. Ditto rivets (the hammered kind, not pop rivets). If you don't want something like that interrupting the finish of the plates, you can epoxy rare-earth magnets inside the armor and vest... My approach with mine is to use a good metal epoxy to mount chicago screws (aka screw posts) inside the plates, running through eyelets in the vest. With any approach involving glue points, though, you need to use enough magnets or screw posts that no single one is bearing much load. Over time, that will stress even the best glue joint, and any repair will always be weaker than the initial construction (unless you take it all the way back down and re-do that bit from scratch).

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #15 on: Aug 09, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Thank You for the kind words and advice Vods.

@Thaxos, yeah simples!! Thank You.

@Peregrinus, thanks and checking your wip. Also the extra info on securing the armour to the vest.

@Madhatter, Canvas vest mmm will look into that and the option of bolting the armour.

« Reply #16 on: Aug 15, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Well done a test rolled edge.

Used one of the chest parts so can be compared to the other.

LMK what you think.

Certainly gave more depth to the aluminium no?

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Aug 15, 2013, 08:56 AM »
The one thing about rolling the aluminum at this stage is when you go to shape it to your body the rolling will kink: it can be fixed were it kinks but it will resault in hard edges developing were you try to bend it.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Thanks Dresedon Acacin,

As said this was just a test run, see if I could do it. Shaping first makes so much sense even to someone like me with no experience at this LOL

Thaxos

« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2013, 12:23 PM »
Rolled edges look good, that's a nice amount to do. Gives enough depth without looking too thick.

Peregrinus

« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Yeah, that looks pretty darn good -- but I'd suggest adding curvature to the plates before rolling the edges, for the reason cited. If you have a blowtorch, you can heat the aluminum at the spot you're working when you roll the edge, so it has some ductility and will stretch and compress where needed to hold that curvature. Look up the thermoforming properties of aluminum for that, as I don't have 'em (I mostly work with stainless steel). And remember to check as you go that the plates' curvature stays where it's supposed to be -- it'll have a tendency to want to flatten out as you roll the edge.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2013, 03:30 PM »
looks cool to me vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

jonathansams

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2013, 03:36 PM »
how do you bend the corners, and points...cut slits in it?  Does the armor have to be rounded over like that?

« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Thanks guys and the advice too Peregrinus.

Jonathansams, I just used short thick nose pliers to bend and No cutting at corners, all hand strength. Seems to fold fairly easy tbh.

As for the reason for doing it, it gives depth to the armour. Looks thicker than it actually is.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Aug 16, 2013, 05:49 AM »
The extra depth rolling the edges gives the plate looks great! Little bits like that make a big difference to the over all look of the finished kit.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!