Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Pressure suit, aka Marvel Fenn Shysa

• 18 Replies

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
Pressure suit, aka Marvel Fenn Shysa
« on: Aug 14, 2013, 11:47 PM »
As has been sorta hammered out over in this thread, this is the medium green "soft armor"-looking outfit Fenn Shysa first wore in Marvel Star Wars #68, from November 1982 (published -- cover says February 1983). Unfortunately, the artist who pencilled that issue (and co-created Fenn Shysa, Tobbi Dala, and the entire idea of the Mandalorian Protectors) died the following autumn from a heart attack in his sleep. By the time Shysa appeared again, a different writer was on the book, and a new artist -- who not only drew Fenn's "soft armor" differently than the original artist had, but with far less consistency from panel to panel than previously, and catastrophically differently over a span of six issues.

So.

I'm going with how it appeared in issue #68. There were still some inconsistencies from panel to panel (many of them the colorist's fault), but I've sort of lumped together each panel and "averaged them out" to a version that has all of the distinctive attributes seen on this version of the costume... and with one or two things from the later appearances that work and help fill in the bits not seen (or not seen clearly) in #68. This panel has been my main reference point:

You can see the rest of my scans over in the thread I linked to above, but this one has more than enough to get started.

I've taken further inspiration from high-altitude pressure suits used for experimental aircraft and the early Mercury astronauts, and anti-g suits worn by combat pilots out here in reality-land. The main fabric I'm using is a polyester suiting fabric in hunter green:

I had wanted to use a high-dernier coated ballistic nylon cordura, but that was more than I wanted to spend right now. Maybe I'll go back and upgrade the design with that after I've sorted out any sticking points with this one.

Here's how it looks with my armor, painted in accurate ESB colors (US Medium Green and Panzer Olive Green):

(with flash)

(without flash)

I'm using a light green sateen cotton for the piping around the panel edges:

...And a darker green satin for the inset, quilted belly panel:

For the "stiffer" looking bits at collar area and down the chest and groin, I'm using 2mm craft foam:

(with two of the patterns)

And for the thicker padding in the shoulders, I'm using a couple of half-inch foam knee pads from Home Depot that will be covered with fabric and be integrated into the sleeve caps.

Since his shoulder cape is a fairly close match to the color Boba's was in ESB, I have an accurate ESB cape I'm going to use (the faded orange stripe is often pretty hard to see, so I don't see its presence clashing too badly with how Shysa's drawn/colored). I have already nearly finished the retaining tab seen most closely in another panel. I'm also using a pair of accurate Boba boots that I need to get weathered up and put toe spikes on.

The ammo belt is planned out, but not yet commissioned. It will have six Boba-style narrow pouches across the back (matching images of Fenn from behind); six "double-wide" pouches across the front, as shown consistently in this issue, including the scan at the top of this post; and the two side "saddlebag" pouches will be leather of the same color, again as depicted in this issue.

The gauntlets and gauntlet blasters are also in the planning/design stage, and I'll have updates for those in the relevant subforum as they come together.

Anyway. More as I start getting fabric cut this week...

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2014, 01:55 AM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Pressure suit, aka Marvel Fenn Shysa
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2013, 12:50 AM »
Very interesting; I will be watching intently, maybe you could trade me a pair of MP onesies for SS clamshells  :rolleyes:             :laugh:

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Peregrinus

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2013, 01:32 AM »
That might cover materials. :P *chuckle* Let me get this done first -- at this point, I don't even know how well it'll work.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2013, 04:30 AM »
I need mando pajamas some day  :laugh:

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Peregrinus

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2013, 01:57 PM »
I just know that's what this is going to end up being called, but... :rolleyes: *chuckle*

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2013, 04:11 PM »
interesting ;) this should be a fun build ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2013, 04:24 PM »
Keeping an eye on this, should be interesting...

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2013, 05:42 AM »
^^Ditto :)

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Bookmarked, I had forgotten about Fenn Shysa (kinda sounds like swearing in German).

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2013, 11:01 AM »
I like this...

IG  -  @suzylamoureuxdrums

Dar Kyram

• Kyr'bes'alor
  • Mini-Mack the Mando MacNugget
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2013, 07:51 PM »
This has my attention.

I'm Official Merc Member 220!

Gooble gooble gooble!

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2013, 10:13 PM »
It looks like you have an audience, no "pressure"  :laugh: looking forward to see how this turns out.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Tor'dola Magnus

• Nothing runs... like my Bounty
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2013, 10:19 PM »
This has peaked my interest.  go on  8)

Oyacyir de balac, kar'taylir darasuum de gaanader, kyr'amur de bora
"LIVE by chance... LOVE by Choice... KILL by Profession"

E.M.T.S. #083
MAD:036
M.A. #098

ForceHunter WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63712.0

Peregrinus

« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2013, 03:15 AM »
Non-update update. Life's been busy, but I've been grinding away on this. Mainly had stylistic and engineering issues to sort. Stylistic was whether to do the hole for the chest diamond "free-floating" in the middle of its panel or connected via piping to the piping surrounding the belly inset. I opted for free-floating, as that's how it was depicted by the original artist consistently through that issue. However, that necessitated tweaking my patterns a little and re-cutting the foam.

I also sorted the tricky parts of 1) weakening the shoulder seams when I need to have a post passing right through that area; 2) how the heck I'm getting into and out of it/where the closures are and how they'll work; 3) the layering of stuff around the upper arm.

I apologize or keeping folks waiting. It's been difficult to find enough minutes in a row to actually sit down and hammer that stuff out. Now that I have, the next phase should be easy -- and well-photographed. I expect to have pictures up of the pattern pieces, the foam inset pieces, and some cut fabric tomorrow evening and Friday.

The most frustrating part is that everything is hinging on this. I need to have it done (or at least well along) so I can take measurements over it for my flight suit, and then get that far enough along that I can take measurements over both of those layered to make my flak vest, then mount the armor, and then measure over all of that to be able to make the "trenchvest". Oy...

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2013, 08:55 AM »
Interesting .... Can't wait to see more ....  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2013, 08:58 AM »
I call those "cascade crises" because if one thing gets messed up their all down X_X

Peregrinus

« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2013, 06:58 PM »
That, my friend, has been the short definition of my life for the last three years or so. :P

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2013, 08:08 AM »
Really nice to see you back at this, Keep at it, it's going to be awesome!

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!