Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Novoc's custom Pre Viszla Season 4/5 buy'ce

• 26 Replies

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
Novoc's custom Pre Viszla Season 4/5 buy'ce
« on: Aug 16, 2013, 12:10 AM »
So, I figured it was high time I got around to showing the work I've done.  I apologize in advance for the lower quality pics.  All I have is my cellphone to take pictures with.

First, trimmed and ready to paint:

Next, with the base coat of metallic silver:

The next layer is a flat white.  Apparently I forgot to take a picture of this stage.

Here's the first colored stage, a yellow base:

After that, I put on a layer of cherry red, masking off damage with each layer:

And then with a healthy blackwash:

Finally, with the right earcap attached, a comm kit with some small greeblies:

I've got a silver mirrored visor on order from the Seragon duo, who I've heard do excellent work.

Here's what I've still got to do:
  • Install LED's in the left earcap and attach it to the main bucket, and a fan kit in the interior.
  • Install some padding for my noggin.  ;)

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Novoc's custom Pre Viszla Season 4/5 buy'ce
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2013, 05:20 AM »
That's a nice bucket you've got! My one suggestion would be to add a little more weathering to the edges (particular of the cheeks) as those are the points that would naturally weather the most.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Weathering looks good, especially on the large scorch spot on the dome.

Echoing what Tracyn said, edges and raised sections should see additional light weathering where the helmet would rub down to the metal.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2013, 02:09 PM »
What's the best way to do that without completely re-doing the whole bucket?  Steel wool/sandpaper?

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2013, 02:10 PM »
^ Yep, both of those will work.

Looking great though. 8)

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Awesome!  I'll try to get some work done on that this afternoon/evening, and then maybe add a brown wash for effect.

By the way... Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Love what you have done vod ;) just follow the advise above and it will be aesooooome ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2013, 01:35 PM »
UPDATES!!

First off, I ordered some padding for an Army helmet.  It's nice and comfy in there.  :)

And, a test fit!  Still working on the left ear, but I couldn't resist... especially with that pretty silver visor I installed.  Yeah, I know it needs to be moved down, but this was more for a "how does this look" picture.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2013, 01:51 PM »
It looks good, real good.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2013, 01:59 PM »
It looks good, real good.

Ah, high praise from the mighty Thaxos!   :P  Thanks man.  I've been trying to get in touch with Evahlboy (I think I spelled his UN right?) about a fan kit, but so far no luck.  :(  My buddy and I need to sit down soon and talk about the lighting rig we're going to install in the left ear.  Hopefully I'll have another update soon-ish.  :D

Thaxos

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2013, 02:09 PM »
Looking forward to the next update, but I dunno about mighty. I'm just Thaxos, same as always.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2013, 02:59 AM »
Ah, high praise from the mighty Thaxos!
Hush now! We don't want it to go to his head :laugh: :laugh:

The helmet does look good though. You've done a good job :)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Yup the bucket looks great vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:16 AM »
Updates! If you've seen my other threads, you'll know I'm finally back at it after a long time gone. I've had this lovely bucket sitting on my shelf taunting me for far too long. Let's check out the update!

I used some Apoxie Sculpt to square off my visor mandibles right now, because I'm going to reinstall my visor. The pizza box scrap is being used as a stand-in that I can cut or get dirty without fear, since I've still got my original visor you can see in the previous posts. The hot glue previously keeping it in place never really cut it. I'll show off the interior work I've been doing tomorrow in anticipation of being able to peel off the cardboard.

The gallery feature on this website has a habit of turning my photos even when I take them correctly, but here's a shot of my helmet as-is. The left ear I never made a post about, but a friend from college helped me get some soft orange LED's installed. I thought they made a nice contrast to the antennas on the right side, and I hadn't seen anyone really use the Viszla bucket in such a fashion.

Stay tuned for more consistent updates in the near future!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Holy necromancy batdude! Glad to see you back at it!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Holy necromancy batdude! Glad to see you back at it!

I tend to skew more towards bards and rogues, but necromancers are cool too! ;)

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:02 PM »
I tend to skew more towards bards and rogues, but necromancers are cool too! ;)
Mandos are kind of roguishly bardish.
Haven’t seen much of a following for Phase II Vizsla helmets as of the last year or so. I’ll follow your build with some interest as I happen to be building a new master for mould purposes and am even close to finishing.

QMU#084
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Looking good vod, any ideas changed since you started?

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:16 AM »
Mandos are kind of roguishly bardish.
Haven’t seen much of a following for Phase II Vizsla helmets as of the last year or so. I’ll follow your build with some interest as I happen to be building a new master for mould purposes and am even close to finishing.

Can't wait to see it! This one is from the original Skirata Arms (now HeadShot Props) run back in the day. It's got a handful of imperfections, but really is a very solid and wonderful bucket.

Looking good vod, any ideas changed since you started?

Other than squaring off the mandibles and some paint touchups, not really. I'm working to pad the inside and will probably get around to a fan, because the interior is pretty roomy. My kit's color scheme will remain the same, though.

UPDATE TO AVOID DOUBLE POSTING:

Got some more padding to keep it secure on my head. Might still add a bit in the cheeks, but undecided currently. Also got my visor clips came in the mail and while they were a little difficult to install (mostly because I superglued my fingers together) I think they really clean up the interior.

Annnnnd with the visor installed!

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2019, 02:13 PM by Novoc Mereel » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Very nice!

QMU#084

Darasuum Prudii

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Very nice lookingwork vod!!! Very happy to see how that bucket is coming along. Like how how you beefed up the visor mandibles, looks great!!!

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:04 AM »
Very nice lookingwork vod!!! Very happy to see how that bucket is coming along. Like how how you beefed up the visor mandibles, looks great!!!

Thanks! Without doing so, reinstalling my visor would've been a lot harder than it was. I still need to touch up the paint on the mandibles, but I'm really satisfied with how the Aves helped me shape them.

Dio Broxis

• Rwargarble!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2019, 10:53 PM »
Very nice dude! I wish I could get that "blaster hit" look.  I'm still no good with burn marks, lol

MMCC # 1299
IT Mando Society # 16
Mando Riders #24

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2019, 12:00 AM »
Very nice dude! I wish I could get that "blaster hit" look.  I'm still no good with burn marks, lol

Thanks! Honestly it was just a matter of masking a little bit and then I went really heavy on the blackwash on the edges, roughing it up with a little sandpaper to really give that "carbon scoring" look. I'm actually really proud of how the big bolt hit turned out.

Padawan

• For a dreamer, night's the only time of day
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2019, 05:12 PM »
I absolutely LOVE the Viszla MKII style helmet, and I love how it is looking so far!

Does HeadShot Props still sell the helmet?

-Sofia C
Nerf mod
Kuvira WIP
Because I love the adrenaline in my veins, I do whatever it takes

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!