Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

A general guide for modding toy guns

• 32 Replies

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
A general guide for modding toy guns
« on: Sep 03, 2013, 12:02 AM »
One of the hardest things for new folks is getting your eye in, seeing what looks good and is approvable versus what does not. There's some general guidelines to follow when modding toy guns including Nerfs and the like for them to reach approvable status, and a lot of folks fall short of this firs time and then get offended or make excuses about why they have not finished the job.

I'm gonna use some random pics from people's build threads here, and I hope you guys won't mind me picking on you a bit.

Each toy gun has a particular set of features which makes it recognisable as that toy gun. Makes sense yeah? So to make it NOT look like a toy gun anymore, you have to take those features and modify them to the point of non-recognition. Filling and sanding logos and screw holes is required as is paint and removing firing ability, but beyond that...

So the popular Nerf for example.

What characterises a Nerf gun? There's specifics from gun to gun, but in general we're looking at:
The diamond pattern in the ammo clip
The moulded handle shape (you can usually get away with this as your hand covers it)
The stock (if applicable)
The moulding on the barrel and upper reciever
The proprietry Nerf rails
The join lines where the gun breaks down

To pick on Vanlande's mod here... http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=65451.0
The original gun:

The start of modding:

The finished, passable product:

What's left that's recognisable as Nerf? The handle area, and a tiny bit of the stock. All the characterising features have been modified or removed completely. As opposed to something like this:

Which has an EXCELLENT paint job. But it's still a Nerf, through and through.

This does not only apply to Nerfs, it applies to all toy guns. For example this one:

Let's look at the distinguishing features.
The very specific stock
The grip area
The barrel sights
and the other thing holding it back from approval: The fact that it's a shotgun, projectile weapon, not a laser gun or blaster or whatever. Yes there's canonical evidence but if it LOOKS earthy, it will be knocked back.
Swift took this and made it Swarsy http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=64425.0
Please note, this was the only thing that held him back on his app, he modded it to only just beyond the minimum required.

The start of his mods:

The finished approved weapon:

What's left that's recognisable from the original? The start of the barrel and the trigger guard.

There's more, I'd like to see some people post some toy gun images and help identify their most recognisable features. Popular ones preferred! I'm looking at you mr Echo Darklighter, you should be reading this post any minute now... Let's have a proactive approach to recognising what's needed to help people mod things to an approvable level ;)

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: A general guide for modding toy guns
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2013, 12:11 AM »
We've needed a thread like this for a while.  I vote we sticky this.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2013, 12:18 AM »
Add to it man, it's not worth a sticky just yet ;)

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2013, 12:35 AM »
Haha, thanks for picking on me man :P But nah, this is a really really good post!

I feel I should add that what Pointy-Poo posted was the SECOND iteration of my shotgun. The first one delayed my application by a week or so as it was still too Earthy. I'm still not happy with that 'final version,' and I intend to thin down that trigger to give it a less 'cartoony' (in my eyes), look.

Great thread man, this will be super useful.

EDIT: I feel should also add that HOW you mod your gun depends highly upon what time period and what groups your Mando is affiliated with (if you care for such things). My character (Klen'aka Vonshi) lives in the Galactic Civil War/Yuuzhan Vong War-era, a time characterised by its industrial aesthetic. I tried to echo this in my boxy design, and incorporation of big screws and dirty metal.
If your Mando was Clone Wars-era, you might consider aiming for a sleeker, cleaner, and more streamlined design.

While this doesn't really effect how you'd 'un-nerf' your base guns (and of course these trends don't apply universally), understanding your era's aesthetic can be helpful in determining which sections of the base that you keep, and which you modify/discard.

« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2013, 12:56 AM by Swift » Logged
Beskar'gam  |  Buy'ce  |  Gallery

Mandalorian Mercs OM #769
The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #058
B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Ref Al'drann

• Rohlan Dyre
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2013, 02:46 AM »
Great thread. Another good strategy is to ditch anything that you can buy off the shelf at Toys R Us. Everyone recognizes your gun as a Nerf because they've seen it a thousand times. Instead, try to search for obscure toy weapons, arcade guns, air soft guns, WWII replicas, etc.

Remember, if a member of the public asks you "oh, is that a Nerf gun?" And the answer to that question is "yes", you haven't completed your job as a prop maker. The best props look completely original, even if they aren't.

OriKad

• Cat#: 0233
  • Awards 40% increase or more Special Weapons Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2013, 09:20 AM »
...Remember, if a member of the public asks you "oh, is that a Nerf gun?" And the answer to that question is "yes", you haven't completed your job as a prop maker. The best props look completely original, even if they aren't.

I disagree, because every time I've heard "Oh, is that a Nerf gun?" and answered yes, the next line was "That's freakin' awesome! How'd you do that?!" or some permutation thereof.  Recognizing the base also means they recognize the changes you've made to it, or at least that it's been significantly changed.

And now, to be more constructive, my examples:
Started life as a Nerf Vulcan, added a rotary barrel, changed the foregrip, added some greeblie wires.

Started life as a Nerf Longshot, changed scope, moved magazine to the side, changed the stock completely, changed the barrel, changed the foregrip, made the all new barrel light up all pretty and yellow with a lightsaber blade, and added what we figure is an electronic sight thingy with a cable attached to it.

Ref Al'drann

• Rohlan Dyre
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2013, 03:36 PM »
That's fine, you don't have to agree with me :laugh:

What I look for in outstanding kits/weapons/greeblies/etc., comes from a film perspective.  I would never want to see a Nerf on film, especially not a Star Wars film.  When it comes to reactions from the public, I like hearing "Did you make that?!" rather than recognition. 

That's my perspective and I understand not everyone shares it.  I think costumes that are representative of a media source should look like they jumped off the screen or page and Nerfs don't give me that impression (again, my opinion).  And unless Nerfs get banned, I won't stop people from using them and modifying them.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2013, 08:04 AM »
I wanted to bump this to see if anyone else wants to continue on with some more visual examples?

Dresdon Acacin

• On Occasion
  • Mess with the best, die by the thousands. -DA '17
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2013, 09:07 AM »
I plan on posting my stampede mod once it's done

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2013, 10:40 PM »
This is a work in progress, I needed something to carry during times where my rotary cannon was to big, or just gets too heavy (no kidding, the dang thing weighs 18 pounds!).
 It started out life as this

I altered and extended the stock

modified and reversed the scope, and added greebs to the main body

I also modded the main barrel

all firing ability was gutted and electronics added

resulting in it's current state

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2013, 11:15 PM »
Oh come on, it's not like you had to cut a hole in your armour case to fit the rotary in!

OH WAIT

Yes, another excellent example. Quite simple mods, and very effective.

Straka Zulu

• Formerly 'STRAKAZulu'
  • Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2013, 12:30 AM »

Started life as a Nerf Longshot, changed scope, moved magazine to the side, changed the stock completely, changed the barrel, changed the foregrip, made the all new barrel light up all pretty and yellow with a lightsaber blade, and added what we figure is an electronic sight thingy with a cable attached to it.

Mind if I borrow this concept?  Thinking a shorter barrel, and similar stock.  I just found one of these at a Salvation Army.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

OriKad

• Cat#: 0233
  • Awards 40% increase or more Special Weapons Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2013, 08:43 AM »
Feel free, vod.  The stock and foregrip on that came from a toy M16 (Which became an A380 or Endor Rebel blaster), and everything else is either a PVC pipe or pipe fitting, or it came from the original Nerf and just got moved... except the wire bit, that's an old IBM keyboard...

Dresdon Acacin

• On Occasion
  • Mess with the best, die by the thousands. -DA '17
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2013, 11:06 AM »
I feel its time I share mine...

Started off as a Nerf Stampede

and just look at the pictures I guess...

all internals were gutted and electronics were added.
Still a bit Nerfy though...

roughly a year later I REmodded it
First I stripped greeblies off and looked at what made it distinctly Nerf...

glued over and replaced vents...

built a new pistolgrip grenade launcher, using part of the Nerf bipod grip

I chopped the stock off and made my own

New grenade launcher and internal magazine:

New furni

Carbon Fiber

Still no greebs, new tactical light bracket to go on as well

jetblack and sexy...

Black detailing on silver added

Aaaaaaand weathered.....yes...im evil like that...

Yes that's a working light

oh and a list of the additions:
-side mag
-grenade launcher with mag
-underbarrel doublebarrel flachette shotgun
-scope
-aluminum rails
-tactical light
-heatsinks
-capacitor cover
-ammo counter
-battery compartment lights
-aluminum carbonfiber topped stock
-leather butt pad(not shown)

critiques?
modded enough? :X

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2013, 11:21 AM »
certainly modded enough, good work ;) I like how you pointed out the specific "nerfy" things you saw to change.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!