Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

A general guide for modding toy guns

• 32 Replies

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: A general guide for modding toy guns
« Reply #25 on: Jun 27, 2014, 02:18 PM »
Here are a couple of Nerf guns and one that is such a conglomeration of parts I don't know what to call it  :P

My current weapon is a modified Nerf Sledgefire.
Original look:

Final appearance:

I basically covered about 90% of the base gun in steel and aluminum plates. Oddly enough, these all covered every one of the screw holes other than the ones in the handle and stock...which are covered by the stock add-on and the grip wrapping. There are also a few other plates I cut from sintra and glued in place to cover the texture on some of the other easily recognized parts. The barrel looked odd, so I added the lightsaber handle piece from one of those build a saber kits to extend it and give the ribbed look of Boba's blaster as a nod to the man, himself :). The break barrel loading makes it fit with the grenade launcher rounds mounted on my thigh plate.

This is the first Nerf mod I ever did. It was for my son's sniper rifle. He was playing Borderlands (I think) and loved the revolver rifle sniper. So we made one. The Maverick was the easiest choice to use as a base as it has a large enough cylinder and bore to make it a believable sniper rifle.

No before shots as it was made from a Maverick, parts of an old water gun, and a ton of other stuff from around the garage.
Finished appearance (more or less...I need some new shots of it as it has been a bit more modified now):

The Maverick base is still pretty easy to spot (though you would be surprised how many don't catch that in person). I tried a few things to hide it more, but they always stopped something from working right (mainly the drop out cylinder and the rotating when cocked). This, like a few others I have made, was built with "shoot-a-trooper" activities in mind and does function (though not extremely well and only if set up just right). While not the best reference for this thread, it was, at one time, used as a "how to use Nerf appropriately" model. It may get some more upgrades in the future as I have found a number of new techniques for hiding things while allowing them to still operate and move since this was built (back in 09, I think). Stock, barrel, and optics are all custom made from various materials.

For a non-Nerf build, I have my old rotary grenade launcher. This was made from a cool-looking water gun, a knock-off Nerf rifle, PVC, and a vacuum cleaner suction tube.

Original:

And final (again...no good pics of it by itself, so here is me holding it next to my son with the Maverick sniper build):

Since the base gun is virtually impossible to even find on line, I didn't really do much to alter its look. I added the barrel and shroud with extension (yep...I love the build a saber parts and how they give it the Boba look  :P ) as well as the drum, rounds, and stock. That's about it. This one is incapable of firing...and was actually that way when I bought it at the store (which might explain why it was like 5 bucks :P ).

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when
« Reply #26 on: Jul 03, 2014, 11:10 AM »
I hope Niabi doesn't mind me posting a picture of his Vera mod but he has said I can make my own based on his design.

Niabi said he's doesn't think it would get approved. Can you guys offer any advice?

This is Niabi's

This is my work in progress

Many thanks.

Ziike

• If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:44 PM »
This is very helpful and saved me a lot of time and effort. I am just starting the planning process and am starting with the weapons as it will make a good winter project. I have a few old nerf guns I was thinking of using. Now I know what to look for and how to avoid wasting time on certain guns that are too "nerfy" from the start.

ROBLBC

• Ni narir bora, Ni pabida sada
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:09 PM »
I'm thinking of using an airsoft shotgun as a base for my primary weapon. Would plugging barrel with resin or apoxy and using apooxy on pump be enough to make it "non operational"

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2015, 10:55 PM »
you have to take out the inner workings.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kar'ta Ne'tra

• Awards Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #30 on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:33 PM »
My main guns started as a paintball marker, and a Nerf.

After a lot of hacking, cutting, glueing, and filling, I got a pretty good result.  I DID have progress pics, and took on board the advice from the Vode, even if I didn't like some of it at first.
The grip of the ex-nerf is still nerfy, but the overall appearance of the gun is a fair shift away.

"This is the way" - Google Maps
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #31 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Good job vod, you did a fair bit of modding and you got a great result, the paintbal marker looks reminiscent of Padme's blaster from the ld animated series.   On an unrelated sidenote, if you still have the fittings/hose/bottle screw in thing from the marke, pm, Ill do a trade >.>

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Ajax Kaal

• Forward, always forward!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2015, 11:12 PM »
I went with the general star wars vibe of using real world weapons highly modified and swarified:

The base for this was an airsoft MP-40:

And my second one was based on an M-249 SAW:

And of course sidearm custom DL-44 made from and airsoft Mauser C96:

Most were made by starting with a base that I could modify and then really adding to it to really make drastic changes, but yet, you can still see the base influence. Lots of scopes and greeblies and a good paint job go a long way to making a good mod, look really good.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!