Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Repulsor Pack for Orbital Drop V2

• 60 Replies

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Repulsor Pack for Orbital Drop V2
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 03:00 AM »
Looks so awesome! I see Bondo in my future as well (Jaelie and her sister's kits). I too need more practice with sé Bondo.

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 08:51 PM »
I made a little progress on the pack today. Most of the day was spent filling seams with bondo. I haven't started sanding yet.  I did get the main panels on the faceted top attached. I will wait to bondo them in until after I have the bevels attached.  Once again there isn't much left to actually do to complete the build. As I'm beginning to think about paint apps, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with painting over Plastidip. There are several small areas with divots that I would like to hide in as easy a manner as possible.  They don't really work as 'battle damage' for me but I'd rather not spend a lot of time sanding since the sander tends to scuff up the sintra pretty badly after a while.

Comments and advice welcome. Thanks for looking.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Plasti dip, bondo, sand, primer paint. Sorry, it is the only way I can think of.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 09:26 PM »
Plasti dip, bondo, sand, primer paint. Sorry, it is the only way I can think of.

Is this the order of operations or a list of methods? If it's the order, you bondo after the plastidip?

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Yeah, can be order. You can swap Plasti dip and bondo around I think. Plsti dip creates a seal, I have seen it used on EVA foam to paint it.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 09:31 PM »
I would bondo before the plasti dip. It makes a seal, but it's more like a paint than anything. The bondo might not make a good bond on it. This pack is seriously wicked. Btw.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 09:40 PM »
I would bondo before the plasti dip. It makes a seal, but it's more like a paint than anything. The bondo might not make a good bond on it. This pack is seriously wicked. Btw.

Are there any difficulties with primer and paint on top of plastidip?
Also... Thank you!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:54 PM by Winterkill » Logged

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 12:22 AM »
Are there any difficulties with primer and paint on top of plastidip?
Also... Thank you!
Paint works well. Just keep in mind that to some paints you've turned what ever surface you dipped into a plastic surface. So some paints will treat it as such. It holds up well. My wheels on my car were painted with plasti dip then paint. And it's help up for over a year of driving.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 12:37 AM »
Paint works well. Just keep in mind that to some paints you've turned what ever surface you dipped into a plastic surface. So some paints will treat it as such. It holds up well. My wheels on my car were painted with plasti dip then paint. And it's help up for over a year of driving.

Excellent, that's good news. Thanks for the info!

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Only minor progress today. Got a call to go back to work tomorrow, hopefully I can still make progress on this throughout the coming weeks to get this project completed. In my original concept I wanted squarish rocket nozzles. I was browsing through other jetpack builds last night and saw someone used funnels as toppers on their jetpack so I decided to use funnels as the nozzles on mine.  I had picked up 2 pour spouts from the local DIY store months ago. These spouts are used to pour paint from a 5 gallon bucket into the paint trays. In any case, they were an interesting shape and I thought they would work well for something. Last night I went to Wal-Mart and purchased 2 long funnels and cut them down to the length I wanted and then glued them to the pouring end of the spout assembly.  The pour spouts have a screw on attachment to fit them to the buckets. I unscrewed this and glued it to the bottom of my pack. Now I can remove my nozzles for transport. They can also spin to change their angles.  ;D I started by sanding some of the bondo that had been applied previously and adding additional bondo to fill and fair the seam, then I began cutting sintra to fill in the beveled edges on the top of my pack and glue them in, then covered them in bondo. Not a lot accomplished today, but I forsee a LOT of sanding in my future.

I apologize for the quality of the last 2 pics, I had to take them with my cell phone since the battery in my camera died and I cannot find the charger for it.
Comments and advice welcome. Thanks for looking.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Please tell me those large square parts will have a grill like effect. Those will look so cool, especially if you add LEDs behind to give the impression of it working.

Please continue this, it looks really awesome.

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Please tell me those large square parts will have a grill like effect. Those will look so cool, especially if you add LEDs behind to give the impression of it working.

Please continue this, it looks really awesome.

I had planned on the recessed area being solid with greebs to look like emitters and whatnot. I do think some sort of backlit grill would look good though, will have to consider that. Thanks!

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 03:09 PM »
I had planned on the recessed area being solid with greebs to look like emitters and whatnot. I do think some sort of backlit grill would look good though, will have to consider that. Thanks!

Is this what you were suggesting?

If so, El wire will do the trick. You can run it back and forth like that and it will turn on at the flip of a switch. Look it up on amazon. Very cheap and effective if that is what you are going for.

Regardless, nice pack. Looks great. I like the large, wide open, booster look.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 03:16 AM »
Kind of what I had in mind. The vents would be angled down slightly.

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 08:42 PM »
The big pods on the sides are supposed to be repulsor units. I havent seen anywhere that shows an exhaust for repulsors. I am still trying to figure out how to make it look like it is what makes the pack fly in a way that wont be confused wiith large jets or rockets.

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 09:33 PM »
I forget where I read it but I remember repulsors being described as coils. You could always run El wire in a rectangle coil with a grating over it. That way it looks different from a jet pack.

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 01:26 AM »
I wonder what this could be...

Thanks for the suggestions, some of them will probably have to wait for an upgrade so I can have this troopable ASAP.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I dont know what its for  :rolleyes: but i like the chest diamond patten  ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2014, 07:25 PM »
I dont know what its for  :rolleyes: but i like the chest diamond patten  ;D

It is the template for the 'grating' that will cover the repulsor coils. The diamond pattern was intentional. I didn't want a sink or shower drain pattern of holes. I want to be able to look through the grating and see the coil area underneath.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2014, 02:51 PM »
sounds cool  8)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Guy'ikaab

• I am Ghengis Kahn bathed in rainbow sherbert!
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Curse you, Vod! Now I need to go to MA again.  :laugh:  This is going to be a MASSIVELY amazing build when it's done! Good work!

Some say he can jump-start a firespray by headbutting its control panel, and that his favorite pastime is throwing Ewoks into a lake of fire. He's not the Stig, he's the Stig's mandalorian cousin.

Mir'Sheb #022
M.A.J.I.C. #148
Grey Brigade OT guard #050
MA#141
"lenedat de'da, jii kyr'adyc"

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 03:37 AM »
Wow! It's looking amazing!! And updates on it??

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2014, 11:25 PM »

Although slow, there has been progress made. I have finished attaching all the major pieces and am in the process of filling gaps with spot putty which will then need to be sanded. About the only thing left to do is to add some greebs here and there and paint. I am not going to add lighting effects at this time as I want to get the pack ready ASAP. I have some ideas for a V3, but that will have to wait until OM.

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2014, 02:30 AM »
I have honest never browsed the jetpack thread before, and this was the first one I clicked. Mind = blow. Amazing work.

Raysh Palaven

• The Wings Of Mandalore
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2014, 02:35 AM »
I dig this Repulsar Pack. Reminds me of a Warhammer 40K Space Marine jump pack. Well done!

THIS IS THE WAY.
\m/

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!