Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor Tutorial: Cupped style sintra chest pieces

• 12 Replies

Jay Krayt

• Practice makes progress
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Tutorial: Cupped style sintra chest pieces
« on: Sep 21, 2013, 07:19 PM »
I've gotten many questions on how I made my sister's chest pieces. After a while I decided to make a tutorial on how to make Sintra chest pieces by shaping them.
(If this could be moved to armor tutorials, that would be great)

Materials needed:
-Wood slab with nail (12" by 10")
- Wood slab with hole bigger than ball (14" by 12")
- Baseball (Or any ball, I would suggest one without threading like mine, because the threading can leave a indent on the inside of the plate.)

Drill ball onto piece of wood like this:

Measure how much Sintra you will need. You want to get a big enough piece that you can fit the chest plate and the cup. 

Cut it out and place it on cookie sheet. I heated the oven to 350 degrees F and left the sintra in there until I saw it start to bend. (About 30 seconds or so) **I used 3mm sintra, time spent in oven and such may change if you are using 6mm**

Place other piece of wood like this so you can push the ball through with the sintra and make the cup.

When you take the sintra out of the oven place it on the wood with the hole and push the baseball into it. Be sure to smooth out edges to prevents folds. Continue to push slowly creating the cup.

Continuing step 6.

Use a heat gun to continue heating it and push more. Be careful not to burn the plastic. (I burned it a little, but it's not too big of a deal.) Keep the ball placed firmly in the same area, distributing the pushing evenly.

One done! I find the hardest thing to do is making the cups symmetrical.

Trace your template on:

The inside and out of the chest pieces. After this you can shape the edge with a heat gun, donít put it back in the oven as it will deflate. The more time you spend pushing, the bigger you can make the cup. Also, don't try this method on a already cut out piece of armor as it will fold and be ruined. It only works on a big square of sintra. (I've tried it on a already cut out piece, bad idea  :P )

Here's what Reeza's look like done:

If you have any questions feel free to ask Reeza or me.  ;)

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2018, 03:49 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Tutorial: Cupped style sintra chest pieces
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2013, 07:24 PM »

GENIUSSSSSSS!

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Gel'ren Drask

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2013, 07:34 PM »
So that's how it's done.  Fantastic.  And that picture is great, she just looks so angry.

Gel'ren "Mercelangelo" Drask Firestorm Clan
E.M.T.S #40
B.E.A.R.D.S #23

Boz Ving

• The Hero of Jakku
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2013, 07:57 PM »
You are a genius my dear!!!!

"The armor I wear is 500 years old. I reforged it to my liking, but the battles, the history, the blood, all lives within it, and the same goes for every Mandalorian."-Sabine Wren

Luke Skirata

• Ibic Mandokar
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2013, 08:34 PM »
That's brilliant!

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Fantastic!  Thank you for posting this!

IG  -  @mandodrummer1
FB  -  https://www.facebook.com/mandodrummer1
Band stuff IG - @tommyfrenzyrules
Band stuff FB - https://www.facebook.com/tommyfrenzyrules/

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2013, 01:28 PM »
that is awesome ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

luciferian

• Roos'alor
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2013, 07:44 AM »
Perfect thank you, i usually just heat mine and mold them to my chest with a thick shirt on.

Much easier!

Mando Rider
0002 - luciferian

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum Sniper.

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Nice tutorial, this should help a lot of people.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2013, 09:53 AM »
Great idea, could be used for other things too except burnt nipples  :laugh:

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2013, 09:56 AM »
This thread needs a sticky!!!

IG  -  @mandodrummer1
FB  -  https://www.facebook.com/mandodrummer1
Band stuff IG - @tommyfrenzyrules
Band stuff FB - https://www.facebook.com/tommyfrenzyrules/

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2013, 05:05 PM »
This thread needs a sticky!!!
I second this notion

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2013, 05:12 PM »
No sticky... Thread relocation.   8)

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!