Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor Classes : Light, Medium, Heavy

• 144 Replies

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Armor Classes : Light, Medium, Heavy
« on: Oct 25, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Theres been some questions lately about what exactly ARE the armor classifications and what do they entail ? 

Well,  the quick and dirty answer is this..

CRL Minimum =... well... CRL Minimum.
Light = Boba armor
Medium = Jango armor
Heavy = heavy assault

Even thats not 100% accurate, but its a good start.  So.. i will expand a little :)

CRL Minimum
see Posted CRLs for details.

Light Armor
Light armor is the lightest classification of armor we accept. 
  • Head - Helmet
  • Shoulder - standard shoulder bells
  • Upper Torso - Chest plates and abdomen
  • Groin - cod plate, armored loin cloth, or a loin cloth
  • Knee - Separate knee armor
  • Forearm - Gauntlets
  • Back - Back plate. Capes/Dusters are allowed as long as they cover from shoulder to shoulder.
Good example is, of course... Boba Fett.  He has one (1) extra bit that you do NOT need to be classified as Light Armor, and thats the kidney/butt plate.

Medium Armor
Also refered to Jango level armor, and thats accurate.
  • Head - Helmet
  • Shoulder - standard shoulder bells
  • Knee - Separate knee armor
  • Forearm - Gauntlets
  • Back - Back plate. Capes/Dusters are allowed as long as they cover from shoulder to shoulder.
  • Groin - Cod plate. Loincloths/loin cods are allowed in lieu of.
  • Thigh - Standard plate coverage
  • Shin - Standard shin type coverage
  • Boot - boot plates are required

Heavy Armor
More commonly known as Heavy Assault armor.  Going to this level of coverage is Brigade level,  specifically the Shock Infantry Brigade,  Heavy assault profession. To my knowledge, there are NO cannon sources for this level of coverage, as such i'll be using myself as an example pic for now.

• Head - Helmet
  • Neck - Neck armor. ARC-style pauldrons are allowed in addition to collar plates, but not in lieu of.
  • Full shoulder - Heavier style shoulder bell that covers the entire shoulder
  • Bicep - Bicep armor or elbow and shoulder armor that end up covering this gap
  • Forearm - Gauntlets
  • Back - Back plate. Capes are allowed in addition to back plates, but not in lieu of.
  • Groin - Cod plate. Loincloths are allowed in addition to cod plate, but not in lieu of.
  • Thigh - Standard plate coverage or enclosed
  • Knee - Separate knee armor or extended shin armor
  • Shin - Standard shin type coverage
  • Boot - Some form of boot armor
  • Backside - Kama or enclosed thigh armor and butt armor

Thats my app pic from my Brigade application,  i've since added and adjusted several things.  Thats the base level of Heavy Assault, plus throat armor which is not visible in this shot. 

If there are any questions about these Armor Classes, feel free to ask !

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2016, 02:50 PM by Rokeim Gekla » Logged

Dar'manda

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 50 official invasions.
Re: Armor Classes : Light, Medium, Heavy
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2014, 04:40 AM »
how much butt armor? Is the back piece of a boba cod work? I have seen it referred to as both a butt and or kidney plate, but the butt armor need more then that?

Thanks,

Cap

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Rokeim Gekla

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2014, 09:06 AM »
the boba 'butt plate'  is more of a kidney guard.    i may be a bit wrong on the dimensions,  but its apx 3-4" wide and wraps from kidney to kidney, roughly. 

Dar'manda

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2014, 02:11 PM »
It just sits low and doesnt actually cover the kidneys. I was going to had 3 layers under the kidney to cover the butt. Is that good enough?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2014, 05:19 PM »
By my understanding, butt armor for Heavy is essentially the same amount of coverage as a stormtrooper.

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2014, 07:04 PM »
butt armor for heavy is the same as butt armor for Boba.    kidney plate counts as a butt plate.   anything that covers more is not required for heavy (ie. tk butt armor)

Dar'manda

« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2014, 08:01 PM »
oh perfect lol less work for me  :P

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 12:27 PM »
I think once I am all finished I will be in the light class but with some extra pieces, would "shnee" armor and possibly neck plates push me into medium or a weird in-between sort of area? (As of right now I don't plan on thigh plates)

One sword keeps another in the sheath

Titus_Crowe

• Good job there Shiny
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Is it okay to be light, but with say some extra like shin armor, or to you have to jump to the next class?

No Sir, I didnt see you playing with your dolls again.
Armor W.I.P. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78893.0

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2014, 06:45 AM »
No. You will be kind of in between light and medium.

As Tom told me a while ago.
Boba is light,

Medium is a minimum of Jango, maximum Jango with bicep plates or upper Georgette (Collar plates kinda like a dog collar)

Heavy armour is the above. but with both upper gorgette ad biceps. at a min. max is full wrap around

So you won't be medium, unless you've met a Jango set minimum.

**Edited for correct info**

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:33 AM by Kitala-Enby » Logged
I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Titus_Crowe

• Good job there Shiny
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2014, 07:01 AM »
Okay thanks, that helps, trying to plan everything and have it able to go for a brigade after I manage to get OM

No Sir, I didnt see you playing with your dolls again.
Armor W.I.P. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78893.0

skillet-the-creeper

• college student, going for game art and design.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2014, 08:35 PM »
So for a light mando, I can have a cod peice OR a loin cloth?

You only die once. Might as well make it a memorable one don't you think?

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2014, 08:40 PM »
So for a light mando, I can have a cod peice OR a loin cloth?
yes, or you could have both if you wanted.

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

skillet-the-creeper

• college student, going for game art and design.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Could I have a loin cloth with an armor peice where the center of the cod would be?

You only die once. Might as well make it a memorable one don't you think?

Briks

• War Wolf
« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I believe so, that would be an armored loincloth.

ragwafire

• (she/her//they/them)
« Reply #15 on: Jul 03, 2014, 07:36 PM »
So, it says that a Duster is allowed in place of a back plate for medium and light. What about a trench coat? They're essentially the same thing, but a Duster is longer and is a bit less decorative. It's not that big of a difference, I'd just like to clear it up so I don't make any incorrect assumptions.

Briks

• War Wolf
« Reply #16 on: Jul 04, 2014, 07:01 PM »
I'm not so sure about a trench coat, I mean I could easily see an arctic mando using one. Maybe if you turned the coat into some kind of coat + kama, I know Xyyyr the Jawalorian used a Jawa like cloak (kind've like a trench coat). Also, you could wear a backpack instead of a backplate.

ragwafire

• (she/her//they/them)
« Reply #17 on: Jul 04, 2014, 11:07 PM »
Also, you could wear a backpack instead of a backplate.

I'm not so much looking for a substitute for a back plate as I am for a way to use materials I already have, such as my trench coat.

Kaden Amas

• Don't do it, bad idea.
  • Awards Special Weapons Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Jul 07, 2014, 09:39 AM »
I think for point and purpose, duster and trench coat are interchangeable. The only difference is trench coat (heavier) is designed for military use and duster (lighter) is designed for riding horses. There a number of Mercs with long coats on the forums here. Jacen Rangir of the FireStorm Clan is an example.

Special Weapons Brigade, Weapons Master
Mir'Sheb #19, B.E.A.R.D.S #70, Nerf herder #2

OlekCordura

• Family is more than Blood
« Reply #19 on: Aug 04, 2014, 12:27 AM »
Could a Kama be added to light armor? I like a stripped down armor look as I tend to favor blitz tactics, but I also like Mando armor with a Kama.

OlekCordura

Briks

• War Wolf
« Reply #20 on: Aug 08, 2014, 07:30 AM »
Could a Kama be added to light armor? I like a stripped down armor look as I tend to favor blitz tactics, but I also like Mando armor with a Kama.

Kamas aren't armor so you can add a kama to any class

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Exactly.   Kama's arent armor.  They're an accessory ;)    You can armor a kama,  but its still a Kama. 

« Reply #22 on: Sep 03, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Hello, im new to this website and love the mandalorian mercs idea. Mandalorians always popped out at me when i saw the movies my favorite character was always Jango Fett. I'm 13 years old and I am 5 foot 3 and a half. I dont really know how to measure anything such as plates and helmets (btw im going for the light style of armor) So could anyone help me with sizing for plates and helmets. As well as what materials to use and accurate pricing for a full set of armor. If anyone could tell me any of this information and have any videos showing how to size and make armor or anything like that it would be much appreciated. Thank you very much

Revix

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2014, 06:50 AM »
most of what you looking for is here
The rest we will be happy to assis with, but the best people to help will be clan mates in your area: Regions and chapters

Hope it helps, also being 13 you'll have plenty of time to perfect your kit till your 18 and can become official member, in that time you'll be  verd'ika corps which is still pretty cool ;D

Vencuyanir

• So, who wants Roba Steak?
« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2014, 11:34 AM »
    Is buying laceless boots acceptable for the light armor acceptable? Or do we have to make the *Boot armor*

Nu Draar dinuir laam (Never ever give up.)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!