Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor Classes : Light, Medium, Heavy

• 144 Replies

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Armor Classes : Light, Medium, Heavy
« Reply #75 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:05 PM »
Ok, I'm just looking for some clarification here, but if you aren't going to be doing brigades, you can have whatever mix of armor classes/pieces you want (excepting the minimums specified in the CRLs), right?

Yup!  I mean, it might look a little funny if you have all the heavy armor plates up top, and just knees on the bottom :P but in most cases armor class isn't too big of an issue.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Robidom

• Victory awaits those who never give up!
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2016, 09:27 AM »
For strapping on plates, if my flight suit is a different color from my vest (OD green and black respectively), do the straps have to color match the parts of the suit they are strapped over? I didn't see this mentioned anywhere.

"Too noble to be a Sith, too volatile to be a Jedi... You'd be a GREAT bounty hunter!"

Always start with the big one, that way the rest seems easy and everyone thinks you're either insane, or a hardcase. Either way you win!

First kit WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90059.0

Blasters WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=113456.msg1563160#msg1563160

Second kit WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=126140.msg1677297#msg1677297

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2016, 09:39 AM »
For strapping on plates, if my flight suit is a different color from my vest (OD green and black respectively), do the straps have to color match the parts of the suit they are strapped over? I didn't see this mentioned anywhere.
No. If you look at most kits, you'll see that the vest straps are the same color as the vest. Just make sure to tails are trimmed up

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Robidom

• Victory awaits those who never give up!
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2016, 02:09 PM »
So black straps over a green suit won't get me dinged?

"Too noble to be a Sith, too volatile to be a Jedi... You'd be a GREAT bounty hunter!"

Always start with the big one, that way the rest seems easy and everyone thinks you're either insane, or a hardcase. Either way you win!

First kit WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90059.0

Blasters WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=113456.msg1563160#msg1563160

Second kit WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=126140.msg1677297#msg1677297

Itolia Ulik'vhett

• Meh ni eyayti, ke'viini sosolyc
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2016, 03:54 PM »

From the CRLs:
Armor strapping:
External strapping must be of an in universe material, examples include but are not limited to tactical web belting and leather. Elastic strapping is generally unacceptable for external use (refer to the following exceptions). The preferred method for the use of elastic strapping is to conceal it within the flightsuit.
Elastic may be used for boot armor strapping, but must be of the high quality elastic and same color as the boot.
External elastic strapping may be used in the following manners:
On the knee’s, elbows and Mando “thongs” only and dyed or painted to match the flightsuit as best as possible
If fully hidden from view by armor accessories such as kama’s, ammo pouches, capes, holsters etc. It would be recommended to use a higher quality elastic rather than the inexpensive “sew in” type, in the event the coverage moves and it’s exposed. It would also be best that it match the flightsuit in color or be colors that compliment the overall color palate of the costume.

OM #1140
M.V.S. #16
M.A.R.S. #9
Oribru Akaata #14

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2016, 04:17 PM »
So black straps over a green suit won't get me dinged?
I have green straps over a tan suit for my vest. As long as your straps aren't elastic, they'll be fine

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Drek'ar Ventress

• Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2016, 05:24 PM »
Lets stay on topic here guys/gals.  This is about Armor Classes: light/medium/heavy, not strapping.

« Reply #82 on: Jun 01, 2016, 04:27 PM »
What are the restrictions on weapons for someone that would be doing a medium armor set?
We're a few extra pieces to our medium armor sets but missing a few from the heavy.
We don't want to do the biceps pieces or the bottom back plate.
However we will be adding knees, hands, and boots.

"I live for my Squad, I die for my Squad"
"We are Mandalorians, We are Family"
"Protect & Serve to the highest bidder"

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #83 on: Jun 01, 2016, 05:28 PM »
What are the restrictions on weapons for someone that would be doing a medium armor set?
We're a few extra pieces to our medium armor sets but missing a few from the heavy.
We don't want to do the biceps pieces or the bottom back plate.
However we will be adding knees, hands, and boots.

Weapons do not correlate with armor so you can have whatever (crl approved) weapon you want no matter what type of armor you're wearing. Brigades are the only thing that restrict weapons, but you shouldn't worry about them and should instead focus on getting OM first.

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

« Reply #84 on: Jun 01, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Weapons do not correlate with armor so you can have whatever (crl approved) weapon you want no matter what type of armor you're wearing. Brigades are the only thing that restrict weapons, but you shouldn't worry about them and should instead focus on getting OM first.

My fiancee is looking to do an LPG and wanted to make sure that once he made his armor and would submit with his weapon preference that they wouldn't tell him that he's not allowed to have that kind of weapon due to his armor class rating.
I think that answers my question though, so thank you

"I live for my Squad, I die for my Squad"
"We are Mandalorians, We are Family"
"Protect & Serve to the highest bidder"
« Reply #85 on: Jul 25, 2016, 03:45 PM »
For classes or brigades that approve of more than one armor class then can your armor be "somewhere in between" two classes?

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #86 on: Sep 06, 2016, 08:44 PM »
For classes or brigades that approve of more than one armor class then can your armor be "somewhere in between" two classes?

short answer, yes.

This is still considered "light"even though I have shins, a kama, hard cod, and boot plates

Once I added thigh plates however, the armor was bumped up to "medium" as I had the minimum plate coverage for medium.

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2016, 08:51 PM by Briks » Logged
MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

« Reply #87 on: Sep 08, 2016, 06:28 PM »
Thanks vod! I didn't wan't to make more armor than I needed so that's what I needed.

« Reply #88 on: Nov 01, 2016, 01:07 AM »
Anyone have templates for medium armor?

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #89 on: Nov 01, 2016, 06:58 AM »
Anyone have templates for medium armor?

All templates on Merc home page, medium is Jango level Costume Templates and Tutorials, CLICK ME

« Reply #90 on: Dec 13, 2016, 11:38 AM »
If we make the plates look more heavy duty (by adding a second layer of plating on top, or overlapping armor like a knight's shoulder, would that bump it up a class?  Also, If we add non-conventional pieces of plating, such as a lateral neck guard, would that also bump it up?  I would like to use to proper classification during my WIP.

I'm planning about the same amount of armour as Jango, with only 1 or 2 additions.  Apparently in my own head I am now in a grey area...

Irud  Dral - Armstrong, like my family before me

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #91 on: Dec 13, 2016, 11:53 AM »
If we make the plates look more heavy duty (by adding a second layer of plating on top, or overlapping armor like a knight's shoulder, would that bump it up a class?  Also, If we add non-conventional pieces of plating, such as a lateral neck guard, would that also bump it up?  I would like to use to proper classification during my WIP.

Bulking them out doesn't change the level, the amount of plates do.

If you look at the first post it quite clearly shows you and lists the basic coverage that qualifies as that level of armour, if you've not met the minimum requirements of the next level up, then your still the one below.

FIRST POST, PLEASE CLICK ME  ;D

Quote from: CG_Drummer
I'm planning about the same amount of armour as Jango, with only 1 or 2 additions.  Apparently in my own head I am now in a grey area...

Jango with additions , depends on what additions I suppose, if bicep, neck and kidney plates then its heavy as below:

•Head - Helmet
•Neck - Neck armor. ARC-style pauldrons are allowed in addition to collar plates, but not in lieu of.
•Upper Torso - Chest plates and abdomen
•Full shoulder - Heavier style shoulder bell that covers the entire shoulder
•Bicep - Bicep armor or elbow and shoulder armor that end up covering this gap
•Forearm - Gauntlets
•Back - Back plate. Capes are allowed in addition to back plates, but not in lieu of.
•Groin - Cod plate. Loincloths are allowed in addition to cod plate, but not in lieu of.
•Thigh - Standard plate coverage or enclosed
•Knee - Separate knee armor or extended shin armor
•Shin - Standard shin type coverage
•Boot - Some form of boot armor
•Backside - Kama or enclosed thigh armor and butt armor

If you are short on any of the above, you are still medium armour, hope that helps

« Reply #92 on: Jan 09, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Would shoulder bells that cover a lot of the shoulder be acceptable for light, something akin to a Stormtroopers shoulder bell.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #93 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure that just beefing up the shoulders and not adding shins, or thigh plates or whatever, would not move you from light to medium coverage.

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2018, 03:29 PM by Havelock » Logged
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
« Reply #94 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure that just beefing up the shoulders and not adding shins, or thigh plates or whatever, would move you from light to medium coverage.

Bulking them out doesn't change the level, the amount of plates do

This is correct, its still just shoulder armour, just don't go crazy or you'll look top heavy  ;)

below is the first post that outlines things pretty clearly

FIRST POST, PLEASE CLICK ME  ;D

[/quote]

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #95 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:32 AM »
Urgh.  Meant to say "...would not move you from light to heavy..."  *sigh*

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Aden be orar

• Others have tactics... I prefer to let my axe talk
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2017, 12:35 PM »
I'm thinking about making a heavy late crusader build, is this possible though?

Every clan needs a berserker... im happy to oblige

Havelock

« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2017, 03:59 PM »
I'm not sure if by "late crusader" you mean Crusader or Neo-Crusader, then yes, you can do a heavy build.  The CRLs for both state that leg armor is highly recommended, but not required, so I assume you can have light, medium, and heavy coverage for both those styles of kit.

Adenn'Kal

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #98 on: Sep 12, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Hi i would like a clarification, for heavy armor, i was always under the impression that it was a collar that was required. I'm currently upgrading my kit for shock infantry and they state collar piece.

Here you say neck, do you mean a neck armor piece like a dog collar or is there just a mix in terminology ?

Theres been some questions lately about what exactly ARE the armor classifications and what do they entail ? 

Well,  the quick and dirty answer is this..

CRL Minimum =... well... CRL Minimum.
Light = Boba armor
Medium = Jango armor
Heavy = heavy assault

Even thats not 100% accurate, but its a good start.  So.. i will expand a little :)

CRL Minimum
see Posted CRLs for details.

Light Armor
Light armor is the lightest classification of armor we accept. 
  • Head - Helmet
  • Shoulder - standard shoulder bells
  • Upper Torso - Chest plates and abdomen
  • Groin - cod plate, armored loin cloth, or a loin cloth
  • Knee - Separate knee armor
  • Forearm - Gauntlets
  • Back - Back plate. Capes/Dusters are allowed as long as they cover from shoulder to shoulder.
Good example is, of course... Boba Fett.  He has one (1) extra bit that you do NOT need to be classified as Light Armor, and thats the kidney/butt plate.

Medium Armor
Also refered to Jango level armor, and thats accurate.
  • Head - Helmet
  • Shoulder - standard shoulder bells
  • Knee - Separate knee armor
  • Forearm - Gauntlets
  • Back - Back plate. Capes/Dusters are allowed as long as they cover from shoulder to shoulder.
  • Groin - Cod plate. Loincloths/loin cods are allowed in lieu of.
  • Thigh - Standard plate coverage
  • Shin - Standard shin type coverage
  • Boot - boot plates are required

Heavy Armor
More commonly known as Heavy Assault armor.  Going to this level of coverage is Brigade level,  specifically the Shock Infantry Brigade,  Heavy assault profession. To my knowledge, there are NO cannon sources for this level of coverage, as such i'll be using myself as an example pic for now.

• Head - Helmet
  • Neck - Neck armor. ARC-style pauldrons are allowed in addition to collar plates, but not in lieu of.
  • Full shoulder - Heavier style shoulder bell that covers the entire shoulder
  • Bicep - Bicep armor or elbow and shoulder armor that end up covering this gap
  • Forearm - Gauntlets
  • Back - Back plate. Capes are allowed in addition to back plates, but not in lieu of.
  • Groin - Cod plate. Loincloths are allowed in addition to cod plate, but not in lieu of.
  • Thigh - Standard plate coverage or enclosed
  • Knee - Separate knee armor or extended shin armor
  • Shin - Standard shin type coverage
  • Boot - Some form of boot armor
  • Backside - Kama or enclosed thigh armor and butt armor

Thats my app pic from my Brigade application,  i've since added and adjusted several things.  Thats the base level of Heavy Assault, plus throat armor which is not visible in this shot. 

If there are any questions about these Armor Classes, feel free to ask !

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #99 on: Sep 25, 2017, 05:33 AM »
Hi i would like a clarification, for heavy armor, i was always under the impression that it was a collar that was required. I'm currently upgrading my kit for shock infantry and they state collar piece.

Here you say neck, do you mean a neck armor piece like a dog collar or is there just a mix in terminology ?

Apart from the usual collar plate that is required as part of the torso set for every class, Heavy requires some additional form of protection at the neck. Since the word collar is already in use, neck has been used here to try and differentiate the two items.

I do indeed have what looks to be an armoured dog collar, several plates on a leather backing that protects against pesky lightsabre decapitations. Other options are pauldrons (similar to stormtrooper/arc troopers) or to have a raised section on the collar and back plating which would protect the neck.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!