Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet Communications

• 8 Replies

ArlynDarkskull

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
Helmet Communications
« on: Mar 17, 2014, 01:38 AM »
I'd like to set up a 2-way communications thing in my helmet.  I want it to work like a walkie-talkie (or comlink) so when I hold a button on my gauntlet (the PTT button) it starts transmitting and I can talk to someone with the same setup and frequency.

I know how I'll do speakers and microphones and all that, but what do you think the easiest way to do the comms thing is?

I'm currently playing with the idea of stripping apart some cheapish walkie-talkies.  I could have the antenna attached stylishly to the outside of my helmet and wire the mic and speaker into my helmet audio and mic.  The PTT button could be in the gauntlet, or maybe in the earcap of the helmet.  The power and frequency selection knobs could be inside the helmet, or on the earcap area as well.

Any thoughts?

Modern Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=73466.0

Build Status: 40%

M.A. #120
M.A.J.I.C. # 135
M.A.D. # 051
V.O.T.S. # 010
M.V.S # 009 (nu su)
M.T.S # 036 (nu su)
K.O.M.S. # 004
E.R.A. # 023
V.R.C.A # 047

Janir

Re: Helmet Communications
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Funny, I was thinking about the same thing . My voice box has a input for 2 way radio as I was going to plug a 2 way into it.

The voice amp box I got has a separate PTT, on it and should work with a radio PTT in line function, so in my case I'm not ripping apart a two way radio but can cord it to the bucket and hide it somewhere else on my armor but ripping apart a voice amp but it came with a small headset with mic to plug into it.

I'd like to set up a 2-way communications thing in my helmet.  I want it to work like a walkie-talkie (or comlink) so when I hold a button on my gauntlet (the PTT button) it starts transmitting and I can talk to someone with the same setup and frequency.

I know how I'll do speakers and microphones and all that, but what do you think the easiest way to do the comms thing is?

I'm currently playing with the idea of stripping apart some cheapish walkie-talkies.  I could have the antenna attached stylishly to the outside of my helmet and wire the mic and speaker into my helmet audio and mic.  The PTT button could be in the gauntlet, or maybe in the earcap of the helmet.  The power and frequency selection knobs could be inside the helmet, or on the earcap area as well.

Any thoughts?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:42 PM »
I intend to use a Cobra FRS-band radio for my bucket.  For $25 (MSRP) you can buy a pair of radios which claim a 16-mile range, cheaper if you get lucky on the used market.  That also has the advantage of using pre-set channel frequencies so you can talk with other people.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2014, 02:51 PM »
the only problem with useing two way radios is that if you are at a con there are security guardes and other people that will be useing two way radios as well, so youll have to find an empty channle

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2014, 08:49 AM »
Not to mention, that 16 mile range is probably optimal performance in a large flat area, not inside a building with reinforced concrete in between you and your buddies.  I'm not naysaying, just a little heads before you lose your buddies anyway.  I'd personally do a little recon first; go to a largish city (think skyscrapers), walk about two blocks away from a friend, pop into a Starbucks or something, and try to raise your buddy on the radio.  If it works, I'd say good enough and cannibalize the osik out of that radio.  If it works, I'm just guessing you'll hear a lot of voices on your channel, not just the people you know.  I know for a fact that in Atlanta, Georgia (especially where they had DragonCon this year) cell reception was almost unheard of.  Not sure if it was the amount of people that were surely clogging the towers, or if it was the construction of the hotels/convention centers it was in.  At a guess, probably a little of both.  (FYI, cell phones are essentially very phancy radios with unique channels.  If a phone is struggling with reception, I would assume a cheapish commercial radio would as well.)

As for the setup, why not have all the settings on your guants?  It would add a cool looking comms setup, and your greebs would actually do things! 

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2014, 11:00 AM »
The nice things about these radios (I'm planning to use similar radios) is that some of them not only have several channels but different frequencies for each channel, so you can program them in such a way that picking up other radio chatter is very rare.

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:01 PM »
Here's the amazon.com link to what I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003T3Q3HE/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using this you were able to have a voice amp and a 2 way comm link in your bucket? WHat mod did you have to use?

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2015, 01:00 PM »
Here's the amazon.com link to what I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003T3Q3HE/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So with this could you also incorporate the hearing aid

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!