Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

TUTORIAL: Adding Mirror and Color Tint to your Helmet Visor

• 45 Replies
Re: TUTORIAL: Adding Mirror and Color Tint to your Helmet Visor
« Reply #30 on: Jun 16, 2016, 01:16 AM »
Amazingly helpful.  My visor that came with my helmet got messed up so I had to cut a new one.  After six attempts I finally got a useable product.  Unfortunately it was clear.  This tutorial helped me to the end of a very frustrating build.  My first one at that.  Thank you!

Diijin

• "No, you may not touch my bolas."
« Reply #31 on: Jul 09, 2016, 12:35 AM »
I watched each video a total of 4 times each, just to make sure I wasn't going to mess up on anything. I think it came out pretty well since it passed the approval team.  :P  Awesome vid, and if I make another bucket when I make another bucket, ill probably watch these vids again! Thanks!!!  :D

Firestorm Clan
MMCC #1489
BOMB #82
MACK #48
MARS #72
Oribru Akaata #24
LOB #38
BEARDS #141
OOPS #26
Beast Hunter/Desert Ops WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=134706.msg1746773#msg174677

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
  • glitter's effective if i GRIND IT INTO YOUR EYES
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #32 on: Jul 11, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Awe thanks guys! I'm really glad you all like it, and are being SUPER nice and positive considering we filmed it in a thunderstorm lol

E.M.T.S. #1 ~ Founder ~ Glitter Faerie In Chief

Get Elegant: Join the Elegant Mando's Tea Society

Official Invasions: 67

Various upgrades and whatnot

Dral Kar'ta (Dar's GlitterHeart)

Senpai

• OM 1714
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #33 on: Aug 11, 2016, 11:13 PM »
Thanks for the videos. you did a great job.

Is there a current list of places to get the colored plastic sheets and the the mirror tints?
I did Search HobbyTown USA, could not find it.

Also once you place the mirrored plastic onto the visor are we suppose to cut the visor out and then attach to bucket?

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #34 on: Aug 11, 2016, 11:48 PM »
I checked with two local HobbyTown locations last week and both stores told me they aren't stocking tint or colored plastic anymore.

I found a few different listings on Amazon under gel. Here's one.
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Correction-4-Color-Filter-Studio/dp/B00W93FQNM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470958154&sr=8-4&keywords=gels

You can also make your own with clear styrene sheet and then color it with Rit dye (the dye needs to be warm when you use it and let it soak for 15-20 minutes).

For mirrored tint I just bought mine at Lowes and most all hardware stores sell it. I prefer Gila brand but any should work.

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2016, 11:53 PM by Torolf Goran » Logged
Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Senpai

• OM 1714
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #35 on: Aug 12, 2016, 09:48 AM »
I checked with two local HobbyTown locations last week and both stores told me they aren't stocking tint or colored plastic anymore.

I found a few different listings on Amazon under gel. Here's one.
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Correction-4-Color-Filter-Studio/dp/B00W93FQNM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470958154&sr=8-4&keywords=gels

You can also make your own with clear styrene sheet and then color it with Rit dye (the dye needs to be warm when you use it and let it soak for 15-20 minutes).

For mirrored tint I just bought mine at Lowes and most all hardware stores sell it. I prefer Gila brand but any should work.

Thanks for the update!!!

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2016, 12:09 PM by Senpai » Logged
« Reply #36 on: Oct 08, 2016, 09:38 PM »
Would mirror film like this still work with a home dyed visor? I'm wanting to make mine quite dark, as I'm rather light sensitive, but with a bit of a mirror finish.

maddiekayray

• #BLESS'ULIIK
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Suggestions on what color tint to achieve a gold look? Yellow? Or is there a gold-specific?

I'm interested in mirrored gold, specifically.

« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2017, 01:16 AM »
So I bought the spray and applied the tint. I let it sit for 2 days. It still bubbles if even slightly bent and my first attempt at cutting nearly wrecked it. Any tips on cutting without disturbing the vinyl?

« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2017, 11:05 PM »
I've now ruined two visors trying this technique without being able to cut in a way that doesn't damage the reflective vinyl. Is anyone able to give advice on how to cut?

Torolf Goran

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #40 on: Mar 16, 2017, 12:23 AM »
I've done 3 visors now and I've had problems with bubbling on all of them. I ended up having the mirrored tint face out so when the visor is curved it actually pulls the tint tighter. So far it's worked well and the visors look good installed. (That's for a plain visor without the color layer.)

As far as cutting out the visor make sure you don't flex it when you cut. I'd personally suggest using an exacto knife to cut it out and work from the middle out so you don't accidentally peel up the edge.

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2017, 01:57 PM by Torolf Goran » Logged
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

« Reply #41 on: Jul 03, 2017, 02:03 PM »
Thank you so much for this tutorial, I'm going to have to try this once I find a place in town that sells visors.

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
« Reply #42 on: Jul 06, 2017, 06:02 PM »
I've got another question...  I've read that you can take mirror tint and spray it with translucent paint to make a visor.   Has anyone tried it?   The helmet I'm working on I want to put in a red mirrored visor and can't find red mirrored tint anywhere.   The internet has failed me, or well, my search abilities have. 

Torolf Goran

« Reply #43 on: Jul 06, 2017, 06:33 PM »
I used red Nite Shades lens coating to make a mirrored red visor before. Just make sure to apply it in really light coats.

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP888-Red-Nite-Shades/dp/B005257R0O

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
« Reply #44 on: Jul 06, 2017, 08:42 PM »
I used red Nite Shades lens coating to make a mirrored red visor before. Just make sure to apply it in really light coats.

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP888-Red-Nite-Shades/dp/B005257R0O

Glad to know it has been done.  I have some transparent/translucent paint for my airbrush that I'm going to test. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Createx-Airbrush-Colors-Transparent-SprayGunner/dp/B01MR7WDLF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499388014&sr=8-1&keywords=createx+5124

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!