Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

TUTORIAL: Adding Mirror and Color Tint to your Helmet Visor

• 45 Replies
Re: TUTORIAL: Adding Mirror and Color Tint to your Helmet Visor
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:35 PM »
if you dont want to buy the spray for applying the tint soapy water works just as good ;)

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
  • glitter's effective if i GRIND IT INTO YOUR EYES
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:29 PM »
if you dont want to buy the spray for applying the tint soapy water works just as good ;)

Great point. Thanks!

E.M.T.S. #1 ~ Founder ~ Glitter Faerie In Chief

Get Elegant: Join the Elegant Mando's Tea Society

Official Invasions: 67

Various upgrades and whatnot

Dral Kar'ta (Dar's GlitterHeart)

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2016, 06:52 PM »
Has anyone tried this type of visor inside their bucket?

http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S8550-Uncoated-Replacement-Polycarbonate/dp/B001VXVSZ6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1455752682&sr=8-12&keywords=safety+visor

My Boba styled helmet T-opening (not yet cut) is under 7 inches.  This shield is 9.5 in tall and 14.5 inches wide.  A polycarbonate plastic "should" allow drilling.  I can trim and test drill on a cutoff sheet.

I will also be picking up some mirror tint and colored sheets of plastic from amazon if anyone needs mirror tint.  The smallest amount I'm finding is 12in x 24ft.  I'm in the Orlando area!

Thank you!

Steph

« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:09 PM »
That is exactly the visor I ordered. I am putting it in my bucket tonight along with mirror tint and colored sheets. It was fairly easy to cut with my rotary tool. Just be aware that it has plastic coverings on BOTH sides to prevent scratches. If you don't take off both you won't be able to see a darn thing. (I spent time freaking out thinking I had gotten the wrong kind of visor) :laugh:

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:39 PM »
Will you post back how they work?  I'm hoping the pinkish color in the other set is what I'm looking for when I put the mirror tint behind it...

Thank you!

« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Will you post back how they work?  I'm hoping the pinkish color in the other set is what I'm looking for when I put the mirror tint behind it...

Thank you!
They worked just fine for me. I used the green myself, but the pink was very pretty against the mirror tint. If I didn't have so much pink on my kit already I would have used the pink.

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
  • glitter's effective if i GRIND IT INTO YOUR EYES
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:21 PM »
Those are what I used too and they worked well :)

E.M.T.S. #1 ~ Founder ~ Glitter Faerie In Chief

Get Elegant: Join the Elegant Mando's Tea Society

Official Invasions: 67

Various upgrades and whatnot

Dral Kar'ta (Dar's GlitterHeart)

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2016, 04:18 AM »
Thanks for the tips :D Really gonna try this on my second helmet :D

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

lunchsack86

• Rang Ori'dush Oyayc
« Reply #25 on: Apr 29, 2016, 05:22 PM »
so you put the tint on, and then cut? the videos seem a bit choppy on that aspect.
Anyone know if they spray tint used for headlights and tail lights would work?
Also what kind of plastic is this and is it just glued into the helmet?

Rang Ori'dush Oyayc

Hail to the King baby

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Apr 29, 2016, 11:47 PM »
Anyone know if they spray tint used for headlights and tail lights would work?
It doesn't. The stuff cracks and peels off of visors because most of our visors are flexible. Tail lights aren't.
I actually tried the stuff two years ago when I first started building my first kit.

QMU#084

lunchsack86

• Rang Ori'dush Oyayc
« Reply #27 on: Apr 30, 2016, 07:57 AM »
It doesn't. The stuff cracks and peels off of visors because most of our visors are flexible. Tail lights aren't.
I actually tried the stuff two years ago when I first started building my first kit.

Boo would be nice if it did work. all good though
Davin Shev'la and Naasad Tal both hit me up with some info on an easy visor out here in phoenix.

Rang Ori'dush Oyayc

Hail to the King baby

Metro Stonefist

• When you go to war bring more than you need.
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 01:01 PM »
Hello
i'm so new to this and all I don't know what I'm doing I order so airsoft gear that looks fairly close to mando I guest need a visor where do I get some othe item and is there any way I can meet up with fello mandos here in AZ

sylverkestrel

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din."
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Hey all!

So, I attempted this today and it turned out to be a disaster. Going to have to actually trash my visor and start over.
Yeah, I messed it up THAT bad.

So, I purchased the Bugloss Cello Sheets off Amazon -- I saw where someone else had purchased them and had good results, so I figured I would give it a shot.

The visor my hubby and I had are the face shields you buy from Lowe's and Home Depot, and we have the mirrored tint.

The trouble only really began when I tried to add the color using the cellophane.
I added the tint to the visor, and laid the cello sheet over the top. When it all was cut out and ready to put it, I tried attaching everything with Velcro (maybe that was my mistake, as the Velcro and cellophane do not mix, especially since the cellophane is in no way bonded to the visor?)

Any tips, help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks <3

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!