Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mask making materials

• 3 Replies

bh1138

Mask making materials
« on: Nov 10, 2013, 06:16 PM »
Hey everybody, I have a couple of questions for more experiences members regarding making latex alien masks. Mainly, I've been wondering where you get your materials, particularly the latex itself. I've found some great tutorial videos on sculpting and casting these masks, but they never mention where they buy the materials. So what sources have you all used for mask making and what did you think of the quality and price? I probably won't be attempting to make anything too soon, but when and if I do, I'd like the mask to be durable but affordable. Also, about how much latex do you end up using for one that covers your whole head like a Rodian or a predator (since Rodians are the only common Star Wars alien I can think of in terms of costuming. :P )

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Mask making materials
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Whoops...just saw this.

I get all my stuff from www.monstermakers.com or www.fxwarehouse.info.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Jasand

Re: Mask making materials
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:33 PM »
When I made prosthetic pieces in theatre (noses, chins, foreheads, etc., more than full-alien masks), I went and bought my latex from the local ceramic shop.  As near as I can tell, there isn't a big difference in the casting between ceramic and make-up/fx latex.  The biggest is the base color, with make-up latex having a tendency to be flesh-toned.  You can add a base tone to your latex using the same pigments you'd use for custom latex-based or acrylic paints.  If you intend to paint the whole mask, this step is completely unnecessary.

Also, you can usually get larger quantities of ceramic latex for a lower price than you can make-up latex.

Caveat: while I'm allergic to many things, latex doesn't seem to be one of them.  Neither "grade" of latex irritates my skin in any way to date.  If you are concerned, definitely make a small patch and attach it somewhere before covering a large portion of your face with the stuff.  Also, I never kept my pieces longer than a few months (the run of a show), so I don't know the longevity of ceramic vs make-up latex.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!