Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom Leather holster WIP / tutorial

• 3 Replies

Tor'dola Magnus

• Nothing runs... like my Bounty
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Custom Leather holster WIP / tutorial
« on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Su'cuy Vode

I decided my Force hunter needed a more efficient method of storing his weapons when he's not kicking jetti shebs.

SO... I invested in a slab of leather and some chicago screws, then got to work.

I apologize in advance for not taking more pictures.  I did most of the work while on my boat, and I usually don't keep my phone on my person while onboard.

This is my primary inspiration:

I decided I wanted to combine the holster and drop belt (for this build), as opposed to most where they are separate elements.  This wound up leading to some extra work later on.  but it worked out in the end.

Before I started drawing, I had to figure out all the proper measurements.  Full length around the waist.  add one to two inches for bulk of the kit, and another two for fluctuating personal weight  :P 

My slab of leather wasn't large enough to do the full length of belt I actually needed, so I decided to create a back center section with about 1.5" overlap on either side (I added 3 inches to the "non buckle" side to compensate)  Belt is 2" wide.

Always keep in mind which side of the leather you are going to be marking, most of your designs will need to be "mirrored".

After I figured out the start and stop of the drop portion, I drew a flat line and marked the inside and outside points of both ends of the drop belt on that line.
Next couple measurements I wish I had help with.  First, I placed my firing hand in my ideal "quick-draw" position, then taped a line at my waist to hang straight down, and taped another string cut to the length of the OUTSIDE of the aforementioned flat line along my waist, where I wanted the drop belt to hang.  I made a mark at the intersection of the lines, where the palm of my firing hand sat (this is hopefully where the grip of my blaster will sit), and finally where I wanted the leg strap of the holster to be. 

I then moved the two lines to the "working side" of my leather, laying them out along the line I'd already drawn and transferring all markings.  For the lowest point of the top of the drop belt, I measured three inches up from the palm/grip mark.  I then carefully drew a line from one inside point to the other, making sure to keep the lowest point at the mark I'd just made.

At the bottom, where I made the mark for the thigh loop, I drew a flat line, and marked the front and back of that section, then measures up 1.5" and drew a second flat line where the bottom of the holster would be.  I drew out a 1.5" x 1.5" square, where the thigh strap would eventually be strung through.  I then drew both my curved lines connecting the top outside marks with each respective lower point, making sure to keep the body wide enough for where I would place the actual holster.

Next I made all my markings for the adjustable portion.  On the buckle side, I measured in 1.5"n from the end, and  1/4" in from the top and bottom to make the portion that the buckle will be attached to.  On the adjustable side, I measured 11.5" in from the end, and again, 1/4" from the top and bottom.  Then made a mark every inch down the center for sizing holes. 

For the thigh strap I measured around where the strap would be, then added two inches in order to make it adjustable.  I measured the strap out to be 3/4" wide, and made three marks at one end for future snap holes.

Next I began cutting everything out.  I used a box cutter, and very carefully stayed along the lines.  I plan to purchase a strip cutter in the future, since that will help me keep everything perfectly even.

After I cut out all belt sections, I placed them how they would be assembled, and marked where I would punch holes for those chicago screws as well as the hole for the swivel piece  that would connect to the drop belt.  For the buckle, I placed the buckle, and marked on the leather where the two chicago screws would be placed.  I made sure to make alignment markings to ensure proper orientation during punching. I then proceeded to puch 3/16" holes through all marks that would be for chicago screws..  ***in the places where the screw would connect two pieces, I made sure to hold them tightly to ensure proper alignment of the hole through both sections of leather.

you can see the markings I made

After I finished punching all holes, I assembled the belt portion and tried it on.  I eyeballed and marked where I wanted the loop for the excess belt, marked it, cut out a 2.75 x 1.25" rectangle of leather and stitched it in place by punching four 1/8" holes and weaving leather thread, securing the stitching with a double square knot. 

For the holster piece, I decided to make it look stitched from scraps, so I cut each leg where is measured 3" across, then marked where I would  punch the 1/8" holes for stitching.  Making sure that the last weave would always land on the "working side" of the leather.

This is just before I measured out where the holster section would go.

Now for the really FUN part  ???

I took that big section of leather where the holster would eventually be, and placed (in this case) one of the blue guns from my ship on that line, keeping the center of the grip right at the mark of where my palm sat.  ***I used the fake M9 as a reference since I knew it is "beefier" than the hasbro clone blaster that will be sitting in this.  I traced around the weapon where I knew I would want the holster to sit.

I grabbed an appropriately sized section of leather and used my box cutter to make one side straight.  I then placed it next to the marks I'd made for the holster, and marked the ends of each section I'd need, then cut perpendicular to the edge.  leaving the large section untrimmed, but cutting the smaller sections to 1.5" tall.

After all pieces were cut to appropriate size, I placed them flush with their respective lines and marked all future holes.  I wanted to give the holster a very handmade look, so I didn't do any careful measuring, but it would be easy enough to have a ruler on hand to keep all holes lined up and evenly spaced.  I punched all holes, and stitched the pieces together.  In this case I ties a knot on the end of the leather cord, and again at the opposite end of the stitch.  Making sure both are tied on the "working side".

In order to finally form the holster, I bent the large section over, once I had the desired curve to the leather, I marked along that section where the 'trigger' and main body portions would meet.  I made the cuts, and marked the spots for the last bit of stitching.   Securing this cord was again a double square knot between the ends of the stitch.  After the holster was fully stitched, I used my box cutter and carefully cut a clean curve into the top, and bottom of the holster.

In order to finally attach the drop holster to the belt, I cut two sections of leather out, making sure they were long enough for either side of the holster.  I measured center line and punched the 3/16" holes in either end.  I then trimmed the section for the back into a mandalorian diamond. 

After attaching both pieces, I worked it around a few times, marked all areas that showed during what I would consider normal movement, removed the screws, and trimmed those areas down.

After all that Fun, I went back to the thigh strap I'd cut out.  I aligned it so the holes I'd marked all overlapped, then punched them out for snaps.

...at this point I decided to finally go to sleep...

On to the stuff that really makes it look cool...

I used some test slabs of leather to decide what color of stain to go with.  After finding the right color for me, I went and took apart the whole thing for staining.  I wet down the leather before the stain in order to blend as I tried to control the color and make it look a bit used.  I put a double coat of sealer over everything, attached the snaps to the thigh strap, and reassembled it all.

Everything finished just after reassembly

Here  is the soon-to-be repainted blaster in it's future home

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2014, 05:04 PM by Tor'dola Magnus » Logged
Oyacyir de balac, kar'taylir darasuum de gaanader, kyr'amur de bora
"LIVE by chance... LOVE by Choice... KILL by Profession"

E.M.T.S. #083
MAD:036
M.A. #098

ForceHunter WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63712.0

Tor'dola Magnus

• Nothing runs... like my Bounty
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Custom Leather holster WIP / tutorial
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Working on getting some custom made stamps for tooling. All that will be right here once I get to it.

Oyacyir de balac, kar'taylir darasuum de gaanader, kyr'amur de bora
"LIVE by chance... LOVE by Choice... KILL by Profession"

E.M.T.S. #083
MAD:036
M.A. #098

ForceHunter WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63712.0

Deimos Ordo

• The Rebel Phoenix Rises...
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 The most special of operatives Accessorised is the award for the best non-weapon prop. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2014, 05:50 PM »
Such nice work, great adittiin to the kit  ;)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2014, 03:21 PM »
That looks great vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!