Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

J2P To Canon(ish) ESB Boba

• 16 Replies

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
J2P To Canon(ish) ESB Boba
« on: Aug 22, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Recently I was commissioned by a friend of mine to make a Boba Fett helmet for her husband, as a Christmas gift. This is not intended to be an Approvable helmet mind you, just a display piece. She is on sort of a budget, so I can't go too crazy with the supplies(hence the J2P).
So! Any feedback would be appreciated to be presented as such; cost effectively.
So we begin with the helmet

Letting the reinforcements and glue on the inside dry

The paints! I'm following AFFO$ Paint List For the Airbrush Challenged, over on DentedHelmet for colors.
And I believe I have my main colors. The only one I haven't got yet is Ruddy Brown Primer for the overspray of the mandibles. I cant find that little bugger anywhere... Not pictured is also a yellow I plan to use for the killstripes.
I intend to remove the cheeks and replace them with a ForSale sign to give the proper shape, take a cut half easter egg and glue it in as the dent, then resin/fiberglass the whole inside for support.

Tweaking the earcap, because Boba isn't Jango

And here I sit now. I need to order a visor still. Is the Dark Green or Black favored for ESB boba? I've seen both for about the same price. Thoughts? Comments? Oh, and I know it will take a lot of masking and what not to get the damage and scratches.. But if you've seen my kit you know I'm not scared of that..  :laugh:

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
Re: J2P To Canon(ish) ESB Boba
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2013, 11:42 PM »
REVIVE YE OLDE THREAD OF DAYS PAST

Got to do something slightly significant today. because of school I haven't had much time to do anything on this, but finals are ending so its time to pick it back up... it needs to be boba by christmas!  :-\

I have a new range finder and ditched the rubies one, it is sanded and gluing together now, then It'll be attached.
The right ear cap has been cut up, sanded, and sculpt-puttied to get it into a more, non-crappy shape. It will need some spot filler(getting that tomorrow) and then glued on.
Started working the seam tonight and cleaning up around the left earcap, I intend to have it ready to paint by monday.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2013, 12:21 AM »
Can't wait to see the finished product   :)

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2013, 12:46 AM »
Skip ahead a few steps...

The right range finder ear cap is smaller.. A failure to pay attention, and I glued it in place without adjustin the size... Due to time constraints I chose to forgo makin a new one. Hence the cannonISH.

First ear almost done. I'm going to go back with a brush and the green to cover some of the silver I goofed and over did. Then I'll hit it with some extremely fine steel wool to blend them together and dull the shine a bit. I have also since removed th blemishes in the range finder top.

Gale Cabur

• Vode an
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Not even done with my own kit and I'm considering emulating this vod. Great job so far, I'm sure your friend will be ecstatic with your work.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:10 AM »
It is done... Prepare yourselves for a huge photo dump tomorrow. Now to catch up on sleep...

Prudii Senaar

• Copaani mirshmure'cye, vod?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:50 AM »

Elegant Mandos' Tea Society #60
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:25 AM »
Can't wait to see it! :D

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:14 PM »
You said you were ready......
UPLAOD ALL THA PHOTOSS!!!!!!1!!!1!1!

cheek detail.. got a little spotty.. but oh well.

The back stenciling and layers... oh the layers  :-\

got the back done, and it looked here...
NOTE, yes the ear piece is smaller on this, and boba's was bigger.. didn't have time to fix it.. I said canon(ish)... lol

this is what it looks like to trace stencils on the computer... at least 3 per area...

then the red... and last:

the dome.... she. is... done

Here are SOME of the stencils for it..

And comparison to what it started as:

Is it the perfect Boba? no, but the buyer was happy, the recipient was happy, and I learned a lot through the process... And I have the utmost respect for anyone who has done a Canon costume... 

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Awesome work!  Canon-ish, nothing!  That's spot on, vod!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:37 PM »
That looks great Vod  ;) Nice work

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Man, that looks fantastic! I'd love to see more about your stencil work for the weathering. The effect is really awesome.

If you can't solve a problem with brute force.... use more brute force.

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Man, that looks fantastic! I'd love to see more about your stencil work for the weathering. The effect is really awesome.
The stenciling involved getting the separated pdf files from the Dented helmet. Screen capping each piece, opening them in photoshop, dividing them into layers, and then warping the layers to the same scale as the stencils I had cut out of tracing paper. Then you mirror the image and draw what you see in charcoal. Then you take the piece, and lay it across the helmet, charcoal side down, and rub over the whole thing with the end of a paint brush. pull it away and viola! marks where you need to mask.

Prudii Senaar

• Copaani mirshmure'cye, vod?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:48 AM »
Oh man, that is FANTASTIC ;D

I'm absolutely impressed by that weathering technique too, I'd never have thought to do it like that :o

Elegant Mandos' Tea Society #60
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:21 PM »
That looks awesome Vod! Nice job! :D

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2014, 01:58 PM »
That looks amazing. Great job!

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Great work! Definitely do not miss that painting process haha

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!