Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

"It's as much a science as it is magic"

• 12 Replies
"It's as much a science as it is magic"
« on: Jan 01, 2014, 02:30 AM »
Greetings future Vod! So I recently got started on my very first build- now I will warn you that this is actually the very first time I've ever taken on a project even remotely like this- and I haven't taken as many pictures as I should. However I hope that it works out well.

Yesterday I did this!

I am using the method that was described in this here topic http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=21956.0 using the walmart bins for the material and whatnot.

I took a dremel and cut the pieces to the chest out first- primarily because I want to get this done before I move on to the far more stressful looking backplate. Although I made a fatal flaw in my design.

I may have accidentally cut out two pieces for the ab armor...rather than what was supposed to be done- which was cut the templates in two and combine them. (live and learn I suppose) Fortunately I believe I have enough material to rectify this issue- as I do not know a reliable way of splicing plastic together.

although I can shape and sand and paint all I want...I still do not have a flak jacket- which is what I'm trying to find at the moment. on that note does anyone have any suggestions for said jacket? I would rather not attatch my plates directly to the flightsuit I have on order- mostly because this particular suit I do not intend to use as my primary and I'd like to be able to recycle bits that can be interchanged.

Also- even while working on this I have been tossing ideas around in my head for a character bio...many of which could be interesting. I would be happy to expand upon them if anyone wishes.

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2014, 01:42 PM by SpiritDefender » Logged

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: "It's as much a science as it is magic"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2014, 03:06 AM »
Greetings future Vod! So I recently got started on my very first build- now I will warn you that this is actually the very first time I've ever taken on a project even remotely like this- and I haven't taken as many pictures as I should. However I hope that it works out well.

Yesterday I did this!

I am using the method that was described in this here topic http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=21956.0 using the walmart bins for the material and whatnot.

I took a dremel and cut the pieces to the chest out first- primarily because I want to get this done before I move on to the far more stressful looking backplate. Although I made a fatal flaw in my design.

I may have accidentally cut out two pieces for the ab armor...rather than what was supposed to be done- which was cut the templates in two and combine them. (live and learn I suppose) Fortunately I believe I have enough material to rectify this issue- as I do not know a reliable way of splicing plastic together.

although I can shape and sand and paint all I want...I still do not have a flak jacket- which is what I'm trying to find at the moment. on that note does anyone have any suggestions for said jacket? I would rather not attatch my plates directly to the flightsuit I have on order- mostly because this particular suit I do not intend to use as my primary and I'd like to be able to recycle bits that can be interchanged.

Also- even while working on this I have been tossing ideas around in my head for a character bio...many of which could be interesting. I would be happy to expand upon them if anyone wishes.
Your photos ain't working, vod. :P

Your reluctance to attach your plates directly onto your flight suit is well-founded, vod!  The CRLs require you to attach your plates onto a vest that goes over the top of the flight suit.  Many members on the boards make flak vests for sale, or you can use a template and make your own.  My first go around, I used a custom job.  My current kit has one of K'raam Xrati's duckcloth vests... http://gyazo.com/e9542aad81bbe5b7532fdb8c198d0bac  He does high-quality work, and I'd highly recommend him to you.  I also understand the beauty of interchangability...  I'm more than a little guilty of using this part or that between kits, especially my weapons (my old storehouse has gone by the wayside, for various reasons...).

As far as character bios goes, don't worry too much about it.  If you want to, you can have a basic outline, but no one's really expecting you to write a novel about your Mando.  Heck, neither of my Mandos have much more than a basic personality profile, and only that because of how the kits are constructed.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:23 PM »
This will help with the Pics vod : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=560.0

as for a vest  :rolleyes: they are not that hard to make  ;) pointoforigen has a great tutorial on how to make one

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Ah I thank you for the pointers here! And yeah- I used a Nintendo 3DS to take the picture...not doing that again.

Anyway- the Character bio is...well. I'm a writer. It's kind of what I do XD I tend to find that writing the bio first helps me come up with cool design choices later c: ANYWAY- I'ma work on sanding now. I intend to smooth out the plates as a biproduct of using the dremel was tht some of the plates got seomwhat torn up on the edges. they've gotta be smoothed out! I'll tell ya all how that went.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Can we get a pic of the plates on you for sizing reasons. Just tape them on.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:30 AM »
Can we get a pic of the plates on you for sizing reasons. Just tape them on.
well keep in mind these plates are not shaped or secured rightly so it is impossible to say whether or not they are sized correctly atm.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:32 AM »
That is why you tape them to you.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:27 AM »
My apologies, it appears I neglected to put the image in.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:23 AM »
My apologies, it appears I neglected to put the image in.

From the photo, they appear too big.  However, you really need to start shaping them to get a good idea of whether or not they fit.  Also, you'll need a collar plate.

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2014, 06:05 AM »
^^^this^^^
I've also found attacthing them together spaced (inc collar) and hanging from string around back of neck gets a better idea of how it looks as tshirts stretch/sag when plates attached to them, less they are paper and lighter

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2014, 06:09 AM »
Also, get someone else to take the picture, cause the selfie in the mirror skews the angle of the plates. (never make me say selfie again please ;) ;))

« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:43 PM »
as I said, they need to be shaped and sanded. In reality holding them right now I'm 100% confident that they will fit when they're properly shaped and bolted on. However I'll see about the string bit.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:16 PM »
If you still have the paper templates you used they are much easier to tape to you + that way we can check the size before you do to much work ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!