Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Clan Plan for the Future

• 176 Replies

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Clan Plan for the Future
« Reply #30 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:34 PM »
My vote is either avian or pescine.  A Haida orca was my first thought and would be fitting but perhaps cliche.

If anyone has the skill to do a decent looking design in this style [I'm not] I'd say lets go with a mythical animal like a griffin in the Haida style

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #31 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I'm not artistically gifted enough to attempt anything either, but, for whoever does, we have to remember to keep it simple. Haida tends to be really complex, which would make it difficult to make a template for painting on our armor. I went a googled some images for reference on simple haida images:

(Obviously these aren't completely basic, but they are far simpler than most of the stuff you find)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #32 on: Aug 27, 2014, 07:01 PM »
Another thought I had was to play on the "Sea to sky" concept for the name and/or logo.   But maybe that is too Vancouver-centric for a BC clan?

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #33 on: Aug 28, 2014, 06:54 PM »
While most of us seem to be on the coast, that does seem a little bit Vancouver-centric like you said. Does anybody else have any ideas? Don't let just me and Zophar make all the decisions! :P

Also, perhaps we ought to get a Facebook group going? That seems to be what most of use on a more consistent basis. I'd be happy to create it! Unless it's thought that an official member should do it?

« Reply #34 on: Sep 09, 2014, 01:44 AM »
I don't wish to burst the enthusiasim bubble gentlemen, but I am a pragmatist, and my first thought is membership numbers. 

Perhaps you should focus more on becoming official,  an recruiting friends with a like minded interest first, clan plans second. 

Auxillary an Support members cannot form a clan, cannot hold positions of command within a clan as I am sure you well know. 

If 3 or 4 of us form the clan, get the name, logo, form the facebook site, than what. 
Where do you see yourself in the clan if you are still Support or Auxillary?  If the official members decided to go an follow a different focus than yours, how will you feel? 

Serim has talked going Clan for a long time!  I would like to see you have an active part in its creation and direction, but that may not happen if you don't gain official status.

Zophar you have been "near completion" of your Beskar for many moons now, it's time to get over that hump, you have some good ideas, but they will have better emphasis when you are official.

With Paradox back up an posting the goal looks good, we have a couple more Mando's who may be able to gain official status soon. 

We have the potential for 4 official members status in BC before years end, in addition to Paradox and myself.  The new year could offer more practicality of creating a Clan

I am not trying to be a doomsayer, negative, or counter clan, like I said I'm a pragmatist a realist, and the fact is that in BC right now, there are too many wannabe mando's, singleposters, or shadowmando's and not enough goal oriented potential it has been that way since I have come back from out east 4 years ago.

Make this the end of year goal!
Get pictures of your armour up, so when it comes to evaluation, your vodes can supply positive advice, it will get you through the process faster, and allow you to focus on the goal sooner.

I'm sure we can go clan, I will help and support, but first things first, we need official members!  Get that "OFFICAL" plate!

TRM-MMCC-0117
Strength an Honour

I'M NOT RETIRED!!  just upgrading!..... again!
Sector Victoria BC

http://mandalorianmercs.org/who-we-are/club-charter/mercs-codex/

http://mandalorianmercs.org/who-we-are/mission-history/

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #35 on: Sep 09, 2014, 01:56 AM »
If 3 or 4 of us form the clan, get the name, logo, form the facebook site, than what. 

well.. presumably you would have been part of the conversation and given your ideas...

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #36 on: Sep 09, 2014, 12:37 PM »
*Warning! Counter-point post incoming! No aggression should be read in this! Everything is friendly and sharing of an opinion!* ( :P )

I don't wish to burst the enthusiasim bubble gentlemen, but I am a pragmatist, and my first thought is membership numbers. 

Perhaps you should focus more on becoming official,  an recruiting friends with a like minded interest first, clan plans second.

I see what you're saying Red, but here's the thing: For me, I don't see much point in getting Official right now. It's either I get Official, have no Clan, and troop alone, or get Offical, have a clan, and still troop alone. No way am I (or would I be if I were Offical) fit for leadership being both the youngest and furthest away from the majority of members, Official and potential, so there's no point working on it for that either.
And if I had local friends to recruit I would do that. But I don't. So if I don't wanna get Official yet, and can't recruit, what should I do?

Auxillary an Support members cannot form a clan, cannot hold positions of command within a clan as I am sure you well know. 

Where do you see yourself in the clan if you are still Support or Auxillary?  If the official members decided to go an follow a different focus than yours, how will you feel?

Just because I don't have the killstripes under my name doesn't mean I shouldn't have a say in things to come. Really all I'm looking for is everyone in BC, both Official and Unoffical, to give their input towards the clan they want to join. Just the simple things like the Clan's name and logo. Let everyone participate so they feel they're joining an all inclusive group, make everyone feel important.
The Facebook group I mentioned in my last post would be for this purpose. Most of us, including yourself Red, don't frequent the forum and thus won't get a say in anything if this is where things get decided. So why not open it up to everyone? It would certainly get people excited and more interested in completing their kits if they see a Clan forming that they can join when they're done, especially a Clan they had a hand in creating! And we could all start getting to know eachother! :D

Serim has talked going Clan for a long time!  I would like to see you have an active part in its creation and direction, but that may not happen if you don't gain official status.

Yes, I have been talking Clan for a long time, but, honestly, my intention has never been to actually form the Clan. Instead, all I've wanted to do was organize it. The purpose of this thread is simply that: To organize ourselves so we're ready when we have the numbers.
Should we all just go to our corners, complete our kits mostly on our own, and only then come out and get to know eachother and spend a few weeks figuring things out to form us together? Why not start to form the details and friendships that a Clan needs now? It's something we all can do regardless of time, money, location, member status, build status, etc.

Zophar you have been "near completion" of your Beskar for many moons now...

With Paradox back up an posting the goal looks good...

We have the potential for 4 official members status in BC before years end, in addition to Paradox and myself...

And there's the hope! We are so close! Six Official Members is a significant number, and, with the year's end approaching, there isn't much time! Let's get most things in place so we can drop that Clan Application as soon as possible! :D

I hope all that doesn't come across too argumentative (it's difficult to type calm, friendly voices into words :P ). I do get what you mean, Red, and you are right! We (and that includes me) need to get our acts together, and kits completed and approved, before a Clan can possibly happen. That's how it works after all! Official Members make Clans. But what of us who have been here long and have shown little or slow progress for reasons of their own? Can we not do our part while the Bondo dries, so-to-speak? While we can't work, let us plan! :) That's all I want to do.

Thank you if you read all that! :rolleyes:

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #37 on: Sep 09, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Serim  -  pretty much nailed it.   I have absolutely zero incentive to get official.  I'm working on three kits and have another four bouncing around in the back of my very empty head.  Without any organization there is no motivation.  Trying to create the organization may help motivate myself and others. 

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2014, 04:40 PM »
No hostillity interpreted in any of the posts, none intentially expressed, all very constructive an positive.

I hear where you both are coming from.  I really do.
I formed the 501st group here in BC and when we started out small, I saw the same issues

I am a bit polar opposite of you Serim, I'm probably the oldest here with the most experience trooping.

To answer some of your points;

We do have, an belong to a clan, "Hett'ciri", granted most of the membership is in Alberta, and Sask.
This forum is provided for all levels of membership to, ask questions, gain assistance, and to express themselves, transferring and the inclusion of other popular media outlets dillutes the flow of communication, an information can be lost, when the leadership needs to post important information.
The forum is designed to be the nexus, a place to inform and keep all members together, the use of popular media alternate outlets dilutes, and seperates the group or family cohesion many members desire. 
I understand and see the benefits of a FB site used as a PR tool, but Hett'ciri already has a Group, and there is a conflict if we create a Group for BC and we are as yet still not our own clan.  Permission from the leadership may also be needed.
There is a very thin difference of opinion in your statement of wanting to organize the BC membership into forming a clan, and the creation of the clan itself.  To do all the leg work and not be acknowledged in it's creation would leave myself a little jaded.

The Hett'ciri FB group is also offical members only, a suggested incentive to bump up your status, or you can start a thread in the Hett'ciri forums to petition the inclusion of lower level membership into the FB site.

I am not sure where you live Serim, but I understand it may be in the interior.  If so you are not alone.
The 501st has grown in membership in BC, and have several members in the interior, an North of Victoria on Vancouver Island, to be sole Mando Merc is unfortunate in your region, and no immediate comrades can be disheartening, but I encourage you to meet some of the 501st memebers, that may be in your area, many are talented, and good people to hang with, there may be activities you can participate in, with those members who may be in your area.

@ Zophar many costumes generates many distractions I know the feeling, I have a..... few as well  :-\   I can't really understand how you have no incentive to become offical and yet you wish to contribute to the group, your potential contributions would be most benefical to all.

In the end the motivation to become "Offical" is up to the individual, however, please understand;

Without the tag, you cannot "expect" to have full rights an entitlements; you don't have a vote, or a say in policy making within the group (which includes PR like FB), nor will you be authorized to form a Clan in BC (no point in thinking of names or creating logos), or be included into offical events/activities either locally or abroad. 

TRM-MMCC-0117
Strength an Honour

Sector Victoria BC

« Reply #39 on: Sep 12, 2014, 10:26 PM »
I have been looking into the formation of a Clan, by reading the Codex and By Laws, and I have noted a very important issue that needs to be acknowledged here.

There needs to be 5 Offical members to form a Clan, 3 for a Squad, we would still be under the umbrella of Hettciri. 

Serim, and Zophar that makes it more important than before for you to become official (motivation?)

For the Sake of Discussion on the topic heading lets explore properly going clan, we will need to debate/decide on the following;

Clan Name (already under some discussion)
Members @ Paradox, how long are you staying in the region?  If it is a limited time the need for continued recruitment is important if we fall below 5 we become a Squad if we cannot maintain 5 members.
Territorial Boundaries how far do you wanna stretch a new BC clan?

It has been my observation that a good unit should not expand from a city or stretch beyond city boundaries (or farther than a 5 hour drive between cities), it proves difficult to draw members together for events, issues vary, personalities / priorities are noticeably different in members from different cities, this has the potential to cause issues an disputes, there is also a certain financial restriction for members to hook up between Vic n Van.  (my observation/opinion only),

Clan logo already under discussion,
Majority-attended event easily Fan Expo in Vancouver, there is also a regularly run Toy Show an charity event in Victoria,
Clan bylaws not researched (no opinion)
statement of purpose outlining the reasons for their Clan to be formed
The few of us who do post here neither expressed pro's nor cons for our membership to Hettciri clan, I myself have trooped with elements of Hettciri, and Oceanhawks (Washington) Clan equally this year, without issues over either clan.
The last requirement must also include a list the administrative staff of the Clan, including an Alor’ad (CO), Ver’alor (XO), and Ruus’alor (Sgt. at Arms)... who wants some power?

Once these hurdles are jumped, and our application submitted, and approved we then have to troop "together" and not fracture within the 6 month probation.  Then we are reviewed again before officially approved.

So what to do next?

TRM-MMCC-0117
Strength an Honour

Sector Victoria BC

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #40 on: Sep 12, 2014, 10:50 PM »
The fact that it is a 10-13 hour drive to the core of our current clan makes it a no-brainer for splintering off.   I've met most of the old CK clan and a chunk of the former TK clan when they splintered, went to armour parties with both and had a great time, even tried to talk Bubba and company into annexing BC so I could be part of the CK.  One of the reasons I dropped off for a while was to avoid their drama; aint nobody got time for that.  But haven't been down since the reunification under the Oceanhawks banner.  I've never met a Hettciri except perhaps at C6; I think I met Ghostwalker at C6, but not certain.

Ideally and realistically, I think Vancouver Metro and the Frasier Valley [Lower Mainland] is as far as is likely to actually troop together outside of maybe a big yearly gathering but that starts excluding people from what is already currently a small pool.  So I say claim all of BC to start with and then actively encourage factions to carve out an Okanagan Clan, an Island Clan, etc at a later date to encourage clans and squads that are local and likely to troop together.

Can we get an update in the census thread please so we have an idea who is around, how close they are, etc?

All that said, I can apply for OM any day at this point.   I'm working on tweaking and upgrading a few parts I'm not thrilled with.  A few bits that needed better fasteners, some better weathering on the soft parts, etc.

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #41 on: Sep 13, 2014, 11:05 PM »
This is what we got:  (note previous post I mentioned Hettciri had members in Sask I was in error)

Sidewalker - Shawn - Calgary, AB - Cat.#0028 - Alor'ad
Jedi Ranger - Kris - Banff, AB - Cat.#0141 - Ver'alor
Ruusaar Cin - Peter - Calgary, AB - Cat.#0154 - Ruus'alor
The Red Mandalorian - Randy - Victoria, B.C. - Cat.#0117
ParadoxDJ - Patrick - Vancouver, B.C. - Cat. #0582
Callipso Liir - Deez - Edmonton, AB - Cat. #0749
Jag - Nicole - Edmonton, AB - Cat. #0820
Mommabeartrooper - Denise - Edmonton, AB - Cat.#0835   

Zophar Ptay, Late Crusader  Burnaby, BC   (near done)
Serim Merec, Modern Era     Summerland BC     

happyhunter1                     Surrey  (well under way)
Jossa Narsai, Modern Era     Kelowna, BC                 
Kad Jule,       Modern Era     Richmond BC                 
Tylek Ren,     Crusader        Campbell River, BC         
MikeinCan                          Vancouver
McCrex                              Nanaimo
Jayrodadon                        Ladysmith

TRM-MMCC-0117
Strength an Honour

Sector Victoria BC

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #42 on: Sep 18, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Like Randy said, BC still falls under Hett'ciri.  The biggest issue why BC is fairly inactive for the Mercs is because most of you guys haven't worked to get official status yet.  I also know Patrick has been busy with school and work, which is why I haven't pushed too hard for Mercs events if he's on his lonesome in Vancouver.  Terry with the Outer Rim Squad (soon to be garrison) knows he's able to invite Patrick to a Vancouver event if he wants to open the event up to Mercs.  Randy is a member of the 501st, so he know about the events that go on.  But even in Alberta, we hardly get any requests for teh Mercs.  99% of our events go through the 501st, and we open it up to the other costume groups.  If you guys go official and start making your presence known, I can help you to grow.  If you sit around and wait for the Mercs to become popular in BC without putting in the effort, it'll take a good long while, and other people will be the ones having fun trooping. 

My suggestion is to get official, and figure out some events you want to do together.  Charity walks, conventions, all those things are good.  I can help you get organized.  Once you guys have the solid numbers, then form a clan.  But like Randy said, you're kind of putting the cart before the horse.

I'll be in Vancouver this weekend if anyone wants to meet up!  Planning to go to EXP on saturday night at 8.  I can give you all sorts of ideas about how to get things going. 

Sidewalker
Hett'ciri Clan Ruus’alor Sol’yc

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #43 on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:03 PM »
I work Saturday so not sure when I'll be free but 8 should be late enough to work....

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #44 on: Sep 28, 2014, 07:53 PM »
i am also a member of the 501 st and can add events that vancouver is planning here on the forum . And really we do need to get approvals on armours first guys and than get planning on the bc clan . that is why I am trying to get my stuff ready as fast as i can but due to the flooding in the detroit my guy making the last bits of my armour has hit a bit of a back log. And i am working on my weapons right now and due to my rush I have hit some paint problems where it it bubbling up on my in some areas.

And since my plans to go to celebrtion in april and show off my merc armour is one of my hopes I am feeling under the gun on this . So my question is . is it time to get us together and have a armour party so we can get things done and take this off the planning table and make it real. I am more than ready to head this project as my da use to say to me " piss or get off the pot " please this is not to say we have not done anything but we need the approvals to get to where we want to be with this idea and i back it completely. And want to show the world we can do this.

yes i know this is a long winded thing but i believe in it and I know we all want it to happen. so ipeople let me know if you want to come over and make all our wish come true .

your happy hunter

you can never have to many guns when you hunt

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!