Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Clan Plan for the Future

• 176 Replies

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Clan Plan for the Future
« Reply #60 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Bumping this tread and bringing it back.   We have three OMs, an armour party at my place tomorrow with another three recruits and the local 501st has a couple of Bobas in the works so I think we can start putting some honest thought into actually getting off our shebs and making this happen.     So long as tomorrow isn't a total cluster, I'll host regular parties until we get what we need done.

I've also  been talking to Sidewalker, our Alor'ad, about the issue and we have his blessings to secede once we're ready provided I pay the Secession Fee of one plate of teriyaki wings, which I am willing to pay out of pocket. ;)

So I want to get the juices flowing again, bring this discussion back and see what we can work out.

Clan names:  I've been thinking a lot about what we could call ourselves.   We're a very diverse province and I don't want a name that would be too location specific like my initial thought of translating "Sea to Sky".   We could go with translating a provincial park like Goldenears, which might be neat.. or something else entirely.  Sidewalker put forward the idea of "Cerar Shonar" or "Shonar Cerear Clan"which is "mountain wave" (or the reverse), perhaps abbreviate to "Sho'Cerar Clan".   I found one on mandoa.org that I like:  "Udesla Clan".  Udesla translates to  "calm (of sea etc) unflappable (of a person), serene, relaxed".   "Mountain City" translates to "Cerar Oriya".

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:01 PM »
I like the idea of having mountains in the name, since the Rockies run pretty much through the whole province! Of the ideas you came up with, I like Sho'Cerar Clan best.

I'll have to see what I can think of...

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #62 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:07 PM »
Sidewalker mentioned Sho'Cerar which is a variant on "mountain wave" when we tried to translate his suggestion of "Mountain Tide".   It was the colsest we could get, but it could definitely work.

Late Crusader WIP

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:28 AM »
I'm having trouble finding a good translator, and the dictionaries seem to stop at H. Some things that are definitely reminiscent of bc are; crows, mountains, spirit bear, ocean/ rivers, traffic. At least those are the ones that jump right out at me

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #64 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:35 PM »
Oh, I love the idea of Spirit Bear... but I doubt there's a word for bear.. we may have to go with calling ourselves the Ghost Ewoks.  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:31 PM »
I went through the Mando'a dictionary and couldn't find anything the could even remotely be interpreted as "bear", and the only word for "spirit" is Manda, which isn't quite the right form of the word we're looking for :-\

I do like the idea of the spirit bear, though, so how about it being our clan logo?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #66 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:45 PM »

Late Crusader WIP

bassplaya

« Reply #67 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:28 PM »
Lol my favorite is the walking lodge

Edit* so photobucket was lame yesterday but here's a pic I think represents the spirit bear nicely could add a border or some creative licence I think

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2015, 12:46 PM by bassplaya » Logged

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #68 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:30 PM »
That looks awesome! 8) I think it's a little too complex as it stands, though. I really like the spirit bear direction we've got going! But we'll need to consider making it something simple enough to make a template out of for painting on our armour...

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #69 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:35 PM »
I can go with spirit bear, I also would love something that could be converted to a stencil for spraying the ammo cases and such that we were discussing in proper military fashion.  Even without the stencil, I agree with Serim that that one is likely too complex for embroidering patches and such.  Are we going with the name "Ghost Ewoks" then?    8) :P 8) :P

There IS precedent for clan names in English if we want to just keep "Spirit Bear Clan", I suppose

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #70 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:56 PM »
I'm gunna vote "nay" on the Ghost Ewoks! :P (even though my vote don't count :rolleyes: ) Perhaps someone could post in the translation request thread and see if they can come up with anything close, even "Ghost beast" would be close enough.

Otherwise, I like a Spirit Bear for our logo, and, of what's been offered so far, I like Sho'Cerar for the name :)

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #71 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Wha?!   No Ghost Ewoks?    LOL    If we want to go off og Spirit Bear with the name, perhaps translating intent rather than animal would work better.   Something along the lines of translating "guardian spirit" or something?

Cabur = Guardian/Protector
Manda = the collective soul or heaven - the state of being Mandalorian in mind, body and spirit - also supreme, overarching, guardian-like

*shrug*   I've always sucked a naming things...

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #72 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:22 AM »
Cabur'uliik maybe? Guardian beast
Or "Runi" is soul. Run'uliik?

My beginner bucket. Made from a bucket.

Soft kit and armour WIP to come when I get the materials.
« Reply #73 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:46 AM »
Also, if we have it as "beast" rather than a specific animal then we can have different beasts for different elements. Heavy assault could utilise bear, aquatic environment could use orca or salmon, pilots and air assault could use raven, and so on.

My beginner bucket. Made from a bucket.

Soft kit and armour WIP to come when I get the materials.

bassplaya

« Reply #74 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:31 PM »
Here's a quick sketch took out some lines and added a raven, sort of a watch my back I'll get yours idea here...

Lol it's hard to add a border to this without it looking like a crossing sign

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!