Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

my first bucket x2...Updated with pics

• 46 Replies

pogo

• ne viinir, gar ramaanar haryc, aruetii
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
my first bucket x2...Updated with pics
« on: Jan 20, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Hello all, first post on here, from sunny (I wish) England!

So I'm starting my first bucket, having been a mando fan for years. This project has all started because my younger brother, 18, invited me to Comicon uk with him. My obvious reply was yes, and that I would outdo his costume by going mando.. this then made him exceedingly jealous, so for Christmas I surprised him with a helmet of his own.

This build log is for a matching pair of helmets, that we're doing together, which so far has proved a lot of fun  :) We're aiming for a sniper spotter team, based in a desert environment. So sand colouring, weathering, and other touches.

Our helmets came from a nice guy on ebay, who made them special. Not sure what mould, but we're the second and third helmets he's done. Mine's been done in a much thicker heavier resin, to such an extend that I think it may actually stop bullets. My brothers is a thinner more flexible cast, he's less likely to break or complain about being heavy..

Right, so, progress so far:

So as you can see, we've got as far as the silver base layer. We've cut the visor slot out, finished the helmets, primered them, added battle damage, reprimered, and silvered... Next is masking and painting the colours. I've got a tank commander helmet that's being bodged into the interior for my lid, and my bros using foam. We've got visors too. Shall keep you all posted with progress pics.  ;D

Photo's fixed!

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2014, 10:22 AM by pogo » Logged
Re: my first bucket x2..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2014, 02:18 PM »
The pics are broken for me. :(

Zechs

• Overkill is underrated
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: my first bucket x2...Updated with pics
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Very cool!  If you're going for a sniper/spotter combo, might I suggest getting a set of Macros for the spotter bucket?  TrooperJasher has one in the making right now.

AKA "Lightning Rod"

"Heh.  You survived?  I can fix that."

MMCC #1082
BOMB #41
MABEL #54
ALUMINATI #28

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Nice 3d weathering Vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

pogo

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Very cool!  If you're going for a sniper/spotter combo, might I suggest getting a set of Macros for the spotter bucket?  TrooperJasher has one in the making right now.

Good thinking, I've already managed to get a set of clone trooper electrobinoculars for my bro, the spotter. He's going to modify his rangefinder too, whilst myself, the shooter, will have minimal helmet accessories, just possible a cable linking me to the sniper scope.

Shall check out jashers build

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:20 PM »
solid start there bud, I'll be following this  ;D

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2014, 04:25 AM »
Looking good. :)

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

pogo

Re: my first bucket x2...Updated with lots of pics
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:53 PM »
So we've been busy these last few evenings. Sadly didn't quite photo document every single step, but most of it's here below. Enjoy:

Step one, using toothpaste to mask of areas we wanted to appear as metal showing through:

The next step was another coat of grey primer over the whole helmet:

After this, a bit more toothpaste was applied to mask off an area of primer to show through around the metal. then desert tan paint was applied to the whole helmet, though it looks yellow in this pics due to the lighting in my garage.

I then removed all the toothpaste from my helmet, me being the lab rat before we paint my brothers, to see how well things were going:

And it looked good! So after this I reapplied the masking on the scratches, masked of a lot of areas, and painted the black layer. I then masked again and painted my white layer. Once dry and after removing all the tape, I went over the whole lid weathering with charcoal and grease to add grime.
The final detail touches are nearly all done now, like the mesh at the back, intended to keep out desert sand. The ariel still needs doing though and I'm still deciding how to do it. The painting took about 4 hours, from the primer step shown at the start to finished article. I sadly dont have all the progress pics, as they're on my brothers phone. But we will have them for his when we finish his lid this week. Enjoy the first nearly finished lid:

So I hope you enjoyed the pic heavy post, a few hours well spent I feel. I'll get interior pics next, as I have a tank drivers helmet as a lining, meaning this is a very heavy lid, but so comfy, and actually very strong too! My brothers lid should be done by the end of the week, then we'll be starting gauntlets in a separate thread :)

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2014, 06:30 PM by pogo » Logged

x31omega

• "Death before Cowardice"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:05 PM »
looking great nice weathering technique. What type of bucket's are they? Keep up the good work Vod!  8)

pogo

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:11 PM »
looking great nice weathering technique. What type of bucket's are they? Keep up the good work Vod!  8)

Thanks vod, not sure what helmet it is tbh, I intend to so some detective work to find out. They're the second and third made buy some guy in the uk, after he got a mould and made himself one. Good quality though, sharp lines and the correct size n shape

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Great paint apps mate, looking forward to the rest of the build.

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:53 PM »
I suspect they are a Master Replicas recast, due to the squashed T-visor before he worked on it and the crisp indicators.

But regardless of that, looking good. :)

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2014, 05:57 PM by Saz » Logged

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

pogo

« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:06 PM »
I suspect they are a Master Replicas recast, due to the squashed T-visor before he worked on it and the crisp indicators.

But regardless of that, looking good. :)

Thanks bud, I think your right. Had a lot of fun reshaping my bros to get it straighter! My helmet is a very thick casting, so not shareable sadly, but it gives it such a heavy look and it feels properly armoured on too 😃 doesn't look overly bent in the flesh tho 😊

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:10 PM »
Looks like he cast it in polyurethane, so a little heat may sort out some of the T-imperfections, but honestly? Looks like you got it in hand.

Second look though, you may need to sand down some of the edging around the t-visor on the right hand side as you wear it, it is just WAY too thick, it's obvious that's where he left the material to pool and cure

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2014, 06:14 PM by Saz » Logged

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

pogo

« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Looks like he cast it in polyurethane, so a little heat may sort out some of the T-imperfections, but honestly? Looks like you got it in hand.

Second look though, you may need to sand down some of the edging around the t-visor on the right hand side as you wear it, it is just WAY too thick, it's obvious that's where he left the material to pool and cure

I haven't taken photo's it from both sides annoyingly, but the thickness is even, looks great in the flesh and I like the heavily recessed visor it gives. I did a lot of Dremeling to get them the same already, shall try to get better pics. The thicker cast also made visor installation way easier, as I could screw the visor directly into the casting, no faff glueing Chicago screws etc. It also means the helmet doesn't 'wobble' like a cheap prop and doesn't warp at all in the heat, something my brother had an issue with until we fitted his visor.

Thanks for all the feedback though 😊 any suggestions for an Ariel for the right earcap, unsure how long to make one.

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Is there a reason that you put the mesh on the outside of the key slots or just felt it looked better?
Just thinking there is sone classic detailing you just covered there thats all

pogo

« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Is there a reason that you put the mesh on the outside of the key slots or just felt it looked better?
Just thinking there is sone classic detailing you just covered there thats all

Felt like it :)

Was to go along with the desert theme mainly , keeping out sand and so forth. My brothers has some damage to the detailing too, so it covered it up nicely. Long term i may add some further detailing over the top, but i like how it came out, looks like a grubby air vent.

Adenn Karta

• All-Singing, All-Dancing Spikylorian.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:40 PM »
I like the mesh, does suit the desert style, so go for it :D

Official #0218
OM date - 20/07/09

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Currently it looks like its been attached with little purpose cos you can see the key slots under it, maybe a inner frame to get the effect you mentioned or bolts holding it down etc?

end of the day its your kit, just giving my opinion/view

pogo

« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2014, 04:47 PM »
Currently it looks like its been attached with little purpose cos you can see the key slots under it, maybe a inner frame to get the effect you mentioned or bolts holding it down etc?

end of the day its your kit, just giving my opinion/view

It's a valid opinion though and I kinda agree, I'll probably revisit it at a later date when I've got rest of the kit together

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2014, 04:57 PM »
It's a valid opinion though and I kinda agree, I'll probably revisit it at a later date when I've got rest of the kit together

Very good point, now get to it  :P

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:35 AM »
Just to let your know mate, if you and your brother are doing kits. He will have to register on the forum as well.

Talos Kot

• Cry Havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war !
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad

pogo

« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Just to let your know mate, if you and your brother are doing kits. He will have to register on the forum as well.

well he's 18 on sunday so will get him to sort that then :) he's crap at forums though, so don't expect any WIPS, spends too much time playing DOTA....

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:24 AM »
well he's 18 on sunday so will get him to sort that then :) he's crap at forums though, so don't expect any WIPS, spends too much time playing DOTA....

List them for him, I do for my wife and in all likelyhood your gonna be the one building it, so waiting for him would slow you down.

But as Kyp said, he needs to be listed to troop with us

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!