Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Longshot rifle (It was a Nerf gun, pic heavy)

• 13 Replies

Aldebaran

• Alde Ba'rahn - Aliit ori'shya taldin.
Longshot rifle (It was a Nerf gun, pic heavy)
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:15 PM »
I've started planning my first armor kit (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=71940.0), and I had already modified a Longshot CS-6 Nerf gun. Could it pass inspection or should more greeblies be added to it? I will need to fill in the screw-holes though (and I think it would be cool to keep it in working order)

Anything else that needs to be done with it?
Original, out of the package

Main gun, seperated with internal parts

Shoulder stock, separated

Forward attachment, separated, with unattached secondary trigger

The scope (front is on the right in this pic)

The two dart clips

I had sprayed the larger pieces and hand-painted the details, and these were the result

The forward attachment, with unattached secondary trigger

The two dart clips

The scope (front is on the left in this pic)

Main gun, with shoulder stock attached

Completed gun

As I look at these pictures, I notice a lot of the original blue and orange coming through, so I see that I will have to be overly meticulous when I come back to it and finish off these little details. I'm also trying to find a long shoulder strap for it so I can sling it and carry it that way instead of having my hands full.

As with my first armor kit, your input is appreciated!

Calder Varad

• AKA "Sunnyside"
Re: Longshot rifle (It was a Nerf gun, pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:34 PM »
It's a beautiful repaint ner vod, but I'm afraid it still isn't quite "Merc worthy" as some call it.

"Nerf Weaponry:
Nerf guns are readily available and have become a staple for Mercs costumers to use, but have become much more popular in the mainstream and have lost their uniqueness and "Star Wars-ness". We do strongly recommend that new applicants refrain from the use of Nerf weaponry without significant modification."

The above is a quote taken from the MMCC requirements page. There are a lot of really great weapons people have made using Nerf guns as a base, but as it stands, you're going to want to make some serious modifications. Looking at how well you did the repaint though, modifying the thing should be a breeze for you.  ;D

Take my love take my land,
Take me where I cannot stand,
I don't care I'm still free,
You can't take the sky from me

M.A. #93
New Death Watch Order #10

Aldebaran

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:42 PM »
That you very much for that! I have read over the MMCC requirements and it's a lot to take in, so I either missed that or it just didn't get written to memory. I will definitely be on the lookout for some more modifications to it, and I will absolutely take recommendations on what I could do.

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Nerfs need to be massively modified to be even grudgingly accepted. The objective is to make it so someone who is familiar with Nerfs or has the same blaster has to look three and a half times to even suspect its origins. Reasoning is, if a kid sees us at an event and then sees the same Nerf blaster he has at home, it shatters the illusion. Granted, a lot of the weapons in the Original Trilogy were barely modified real-world firearms, but as time has passed Mausers and Lewis machine guns and Sterling SMGs have gotten a little more obscure, and kids growing up now will probably be far less familiar with them than with Nerf stuff.

As a for-instance of the sort of thing I mean, I'm working on a Longshot mod that removes the bipod and stock, the front extension is going to a Recon mod, and the Recon barrel extension will be used on this one. I've ground off all the Nerf logos and raised detail and filled in most of the recesses. Here's a shot I took fairly early on in the process, comparing:

There's a whole lot more yet to be done on it. I'm going for something that looks like a big brother, squad automatic weapon version of the SuperTrooper Uzi-blaster (bearing in mind that the barrel got twisted 90° on this thing at some point between 1978 and when these pictures were taken):

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Aldebaran

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Thank you, Peregrinus. That's a totally fair and I believe accurate reasoning. I figured some modifications would be done and I'm certainly not disagreeable to chopping the blaster up for parts! In my mind I'm wanting to go with a sniper rifle and I have an idea of how I want to go about it.

I will more than likely disassemble the forward attachment and keep the barrel, using the rest of the assembly for...something else that I haven't thought of yet.

Also, while keeping it working would have been a nice touch, it is not necessary to the final product.

Peregrinus

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2014, 02:38 PM »
I took the grip off the extension, stripped out the single-shot mechanism, and replaced it with the targeting light from the Recon.

I've also seen people take the main barrel out of the extension (as you'll be doing) and lop off the upper part of the frame down to where the side openings are and turn it into a single-shot sidearm.

I'd suggest getting some 3/4" or 1" PVC pipe and slipping it over the end of the barrel to lengthen it even further. Sniper rifles tend to be looooong, especially in Star Wars.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Aldebaran

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2014, 02:55 PM »
I was absolutely wanting to have a small sidearm as well for my kit, so thank you very much for the idea to use the rest of the extension!

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Here's an example of a mod from the same base, for an idea of what you need to do to it at minimum.  Only the main body of the gun remains to any degree, everything else has been changed in some way.

Aldebaran

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:50 PM »
That looks absolutely amazing, OriKad. I will definitely be documenting my progress on the modifications I have to make!

Than'del Coret

• Ner vode ja'hailir - My brother's keeper
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:34 AM »
A good way to mod a nerf is to strategically cut off parts and flip them around to break up the nerf body. After that comes the fun part of adding scopes, stocks, and barrels. Here is an example of a nerf deploy I flipped

This is before painting

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2014, 03:33 AM by Than'del Coret » Logged
No matter how great of a warrior you are, eventually, everyone needs saving.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:44 PM »
I'm working on the same base rifle.  Trying to do what could be called a Para version of what OriKad uses.  Building a drum magazine out of a canister of "Silver Power" silverware cleaner, and making a vented barrel and lightweight stock out of an old aluminum crutch. WIP pics to come ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Aldebaran

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Progress!

Small progress, but progress none the less. It's just having filed off all the raised words and branding.

Still a lot of work done to be sure...I will probably make a sidearm pistol out of the attachment, and with that will end up cutting off the top piece of it.

Peregrinus

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:01 AM »
Yay progress! Don't undervaue the removal of the raised details. That's a step a lot of people never do in their Nerf mods. Kinda breaks the steampunk illusion, I'll tell ya. ;)

I was thinking... If you're careful enough with the front extension when doing the cutting, you could keep the upper part and permanently attach it to the main body. I still suggest getting some tubing (brass or stainless steel) the same diameter as the barrel, replacing the barrel with that, solidly epoxied into the attachment lug. If you make it (with whatever barrel jacket or muzzle you add to it) as long as the main body of the gun (plus that upper shroud extension), you can break it down into two equal-length pieces for transport, and then put them together into a truly impressive sniper rifle. :) Keep the braces that are part of the upper shroud to serve as guides for the barrel, and maybe anchor something like this in at the end to hold it in place. If you see what I'm getting at...

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Aldebaran

« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Yep, I'm definitely going to be doing some careful cutting...I haven't figured out completely what I'm going to do with those gray "brackets" in the middle of the attachment...I may end up molding something over them and using some bondo.

I have definitely put it in my plan to make the barrel (whatever the material it becomes) detachable for easier storage and transport...maybe even a folding stock. So many options... :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!