Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Pogo's Armour WIP (with pics)

• 149 Replies

pogo

• ne viinir, gar ramaanar haryc, aruetii
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Pogo's Armour WIP (with pics)
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Yet another WIP thread from sunny ol Devizes England....

This thread is for the overall progress of the armour/costume. The other threads in my sig are for gauntlets and helmets. I probably won't bother documenting all the soft goods and torso armour build separately, but will happily answer questions in here :)

So progress so far:

- gauntlets - started, should cover the little bit of my wrist you can see
- torso, back and cod armour - starting in a few weeks once foamex/sintra arrives
- right drop leg holster
- soft parts weathering and greeblies
- might have to add boot armour at some point, but am currently not violating the no laces rule as my oakley assault boots (seriously the best boots I have ever owned, I live in these) have rapid entry zippers in them, john connor style...
- back of glove armour
- shoulder cape thingy
- kama- if i can find a material i like.

so not much...

Opinions and feedback welcome as always!

pogo

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2014, 01:26 PM by pogo » Logged

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Pogo's Armour WIP (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Before you get any further, you'll need to replace those shins and knee plates.  Sports armor is not acceptable under the CRLs.

pogo

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2014, 05:27 AM »
Before you get any further, you'll need to replace those shins and knee plates.  Sports armor is not acceptable under the CRLs.

tis not sports armour.. i did read the rules before i started. It's also been pretty heavily modded to mandofy it, as the rules stated was acceptable i thought?

Edit: just re-read the rules, I am having a hard time getting paint to stick anyhows, so will wind up using shins as a plate carrier for armour that doesn't look as good..

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2014, 09:40 AM by Solus Raam » Logged

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:32 AM »
It begins! Its fine to use them as a carrier mate, or take the plates off and use the attachments for another set. One thing to watch for is the flightsuit ballooning in places where you strap them on, might be an idea to use internal straps.

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:27 AM »
I would add the boot armour, just to stop people saying they look like laces.
You can mount sintra plates over the shins and you'll be fine
wuld also put the shins on outside cos that just doen't look right
Balooning wise, if you put elastic loops on leg openings of flight suit it will pull down the flight suit so you can strap over them without them riding up again after

pogo

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Shall probably mount them over the boots when i'm done and see how that looks, balloooning (how do i spell that??) also shouldn't hopefully be an issue, as i plan to use a drop leg holster and pouches around the hips/ thighs, and these are good fitting comats too.
No a flightsuit etiher Ashen, just looks like one! Its a combo of helikon combats, and a surplus ubacs base layer/under armour. The vest itself is starting life as a very snug fitting softshell gilet, which is going to end up quite modified. My only ambition for this whole project is to avoid sewing completely as i hate it...

So my evening looks like it's going to be spent taking apart some shin and knee armour...

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Shall probably mount them over the boots when i'm done and see how that looks, balloooning (how do i spell that??) also shouldn't hopefully be an issue, as i plan to use a drop leg holster and pouches around the hips/ thighs, and these are good fitting comats too.
No a flightsuit etiher Ashen, just looks like one! Its a combo of helikon combats, and a surplus ubacs base layer/under armour. The vest itself is starting life as a very snug fitting softshell gilet, which is going to end up quite modified. My only ambition for this whole project is to avoid sewing completely as i hate it...

So my evening looks like it's going to be spent taking apart some shin and knee armour...

If you hate sewing like me, get leather rivets  ;D

pogo

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:32 AM »
If you hate sewing like me, get leather rivets  ;D

Rivets is the plan, will be 1000x stronger than any bodged sewing done by meself :)

Rhenvar

• "Each a grain of sand"
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Looks Epic so far,
i better get my -censored- in gear, your getting ahead

pogo

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Looks Epic so far,
i better get my shebs in gear, your getting ahead

My brother actually posted in an internet forum  :o

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:36 PM »
 :laugh: Welcome to the addiction!

pogo

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Eveinin all, it's been a quiet few weeks on the costume front for me, but I've made a lot of progress again.

Armour plates for my front have all been cut from foamex, as have knees and shins. I have never worked with this stuff before but cutting it was easy with a stanley knife and shaping it with my heat gun also easy. Was pleasantly surprised!

Ground work before cutting was to make a mannequin of myself using duct tape (that'll also be used to display the armour when not in use). this was entertaining and has been very useful, i highly recommend you make and use one. Step two was to make rough cardboard templates, step three was to draw up the shapes on the foamex, dimensioning them all, as I'm an engineer and want them to be as symmetrical as possible...

So the fruits of my labour:

I also found a bit of time to make myself a sweet blaster pistol:

I hope to have these painted next weekend, and the back plates started too.

Hope you like Vode :)

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2014, 03:21 PM »
that is a real nasty blaster, mail it to me and I'll scrap it for you  ;D

Galixies and standard plates combo, interesting and pretty good

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:54 PM »
Everything's looking good so far, vod.  That pistol's a pretty piece, and the plate design is pretty nifty (custom and unique, but still very Mandalorian).  Keep up the good work! :D

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Great progress mate!

pogo

« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Thanks Guys,

I went with my own custom plate design, as i figured if my mando was to fork out for some beskar, he wouldn't get some of the shelf plates, he'd want em tailored :)

I may make a second blaster pistol identical to this one, if anyone's interested...

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2014, 03:28 PM »

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Cool Looking plates  8) what do they look like on you ?  :rolleyes:

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

pogo

« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Cool Looking plates  8) what do they look like on you ?  :rolleyes:

They still need some tweaking to fit perfectly, but they look pretty good on me. I shall hopefully get pics this weekend sometime, once I've added damage and painted them

Was surprised how much they move when you cross your arms (normal movement is fine) , but having watched the jabbas palace scene, with boba arms crossed suffering from the same I guess its par for course really.

Oh and if you want the blaster pistol its basically this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Binatone-TV-Master-Mk-6-Boxed-With-Gun-/111293032277?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item19e994e755

Mine's just been weighted, with a heat sink added, and repainted. Was cheaper than buying a dl44 kit and a bit cheaper too :)

pogo

« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Evenin all,

Firstly, I made a whole lotta progress this weekend :D i have WIP pics of it all, taken on my brothers phone, but he hasn't uploaded them for me yet, I will be nagging him when I  next see him...

But what I do have are some photo's taken by my housemate on her phone for me... These are the first test fit of all the Armour. I still need to finish making the chest plates more secure and attach the belly plate properly. Either way its looking pretty cool so far I think!

So I hope you like this little teaser. I've got to get back plates done next, then i'll try to get some good quality photo's up for y'all. Oh and WIP pics will be along soon too.

On my brothers build we also got his gauntlets painted today, the weathering has come out brilliantly too, am real proud of him for that :D he's got a bit of catching up to do though, so I may have to lend a hand..

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2014, 07:08 PM by pogo » Logged

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:51 PM »
I am liking this ma man ;)

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:57 PM »
very nice.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Nice work !!

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #23 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Love the shemaugh if thats how you spell it. Very tacticool. I almost want to ditch my old paint scheme and do this! Your kits coming along nice ner vod

pogo

« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2014, 04:20 AM »
Love the shemaugh if thats how you spell it. Very tacticool. I almost want to ditch my old paint scheme and do this! Your kits coming along nice ner vod

Thanks, is also more comfy than a neck seal!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!