Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

trenchcoat. on top or under the armour?

• 6 Replies

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
trenchcoat. on top or under the armour?
« on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:08 PM »
hi in my WIP I have a picture of my leather trenchcoat and would love to know whether the shoulder and arm armour plates need to be on top or under the trenchcoat?  if on top how to secure it without damaging the trenchcoat. is a velcro strap around the sleeves allowed?

also I know buttons are not allowed so how best to hide them?

here is the image.

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum Papa.
PROGRESS:
Armour WIP - local APPROVED.
Argen Tium Beast Tamer WIP

Gel'ren Drask

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: trenchcoat. on top or under the armour?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:30 PM »
The shoulder and arm plates would go over the the jacket.  Now, here's my advice if you're dead set on using a trenchcoat:  go to a thrift store, buy an inexpensive one and chop the sleeves off and make a trench vest, then the shoulder armor will be on your vest and not the jacket.  Not a lot of folks wear them for a number of reasons, mainly they are hard to get to look right and not just a chopped up trench coat tossed on your kit.  If I recall correctly, only the trench vest is approved for use and not the full coat.

For the buttons, one member, Ithica, was rather clever.  He removed the buttons and replaced them with some fine chain and clasps running across his chest, looked pretty sharp and was a nice little detail.

Now, personal opinion: don't use a leather one.  Try to find a fabric one, it will be somewhat lighter and not as hot a leather one.  These kits get rather warm, and anything to help you be a little more comfortable is a blessing.

Gel'ren "Mercelangelo" Drask Firestorm Clan
E.M.T.S #40
B.E.A.R.D.S #23

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:35 PM »
There's pretty much no way to use a trenchcoat under your armor without modifying it, otherwise it looks funny. Wearing a coat over your armor doesn't work either because it hides everything.

The sleeve removal is really the way to go if you want to incorporate a duster/trenchcoat vibe into your armor. In that event you can wear it over your armor and still show some of it off, or under and it will look more seamless. Chopping one up also means you can just skip the buttons or closure altogether since you don't want to hide your chest anyway.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:24 AM »
There's pretty much no way to use a trenchcoat under your armor without modifying it, otherwise it looks funny. Wearing a coat over your armor doesn't work either because it hides everything.

The sleeve removal is really the way to go if you want to incorporate a duster/trenchcoat vibe into your armor. In that event you can wear it over your armor and still show some of it off, or under and it will look more seamless. Chopping one up also means you can just skip the buttons or closure altogether since you don't want to hide your chest anyway.
This.  I used a trench coat in my first kit.  On top of the vest with the lapels tucked back to show off the armor, but under my girth belt to keep it in place.  And, of course, hack off the sleeves. :D

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Thank you for your answers, I will NOT be hacking away at my favourite leather jacket. my only conundrum now is Backplate Or torn cape?

PROGRESS:

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2014, 11:16 PM »
Thank you for your answers, I will NOT be hacking away at my favourite leather jacket. my only conundrum now is Backplate Or torn cape?
Back plate and torn cape.  Build a nice back plate and slice up the cape so it pokes through.  Or you could do a Boba-style drape.  I just added one to my own kit, actually...

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2014, 11:23 PM »
Back plate and torn cape.  Build a nice back plate and slice up the cape so it pokes through.  Or you could do a Boba-style drape.  I just added one to my own kit, actually...

ooooh that could be do able.

PROGRESS:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!