Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

A Guide to Helmets

• 153 Replies

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
A Guide to Helmets
« on: Feb 22, 2014, 02:40 AM »
HELMET AND ERA CLASSIFICATION

The classification system works as follows: The first classification is the primary era for the helmet. The second classification is an alternate era that the helmet would also be accepted into, followed by the required additions for the helmet to be accepted into that era.

Primary Era/Secondary Era (required mods for Secondary Era)

Rebels Imperial Commando: Canon costumes only
Rebels Clan Wren Female helmet: Modern
Rebels Clan Wren Male helmet: Modern
Rebels Mandalorian Protector Pilot helmet: Modern
Rebels Sabine helmet: Modern
WOF stock Boba*: Modern
Rafalworks stock Boba*: Modern
Mystery Helmet*: Modern
Sgt Fang Boba*: Modern
SkyGunBro Concept Fett V1: Late Crusader/Modern (no mods allowed for modern)
SkyGunBro Concept Fett V2: Modern
Asok Budget Boba*: Modern
Asok GMH Boba*: Modern
Asok Jango: Modern
AnimeFan Boba*: Modern
Cruzer Jango: Modern
Cruzer Night Owl: Modern
Jinto Boba*: Modern
Headshot Props Supercommando: Modern
Headshot Props Merc: Modern
Headshot Props Legacy V1 & V2: Modern
Headshot Props Vizla: Modern
Saz Boba Fett: Modern
Saz Celtic: Modern
Saz Deathwatch: Modern
Saz Jango: Modern
Saz Krayt Dragon: Modern
Saz Movie Night Owl: Modern
Saz Starbreaker: Modern
Saz Wolfpack: Modern
Lone Wolf Boba: Modern
Lone Wolf style Executioner: Modern
Lone Wolf style Pilot: Modern
Droodles Boba: Modern
MLS Boba Fett: Modern
MLS Mando: Modern
MLS ComMando: Modern/Late Crusader (addition of sculpted mods and hoses)
MDSB/NME Merc: Modern
MDSB/NME Assassin: Modern
MDSB/NME Enforcer: Modern
NME Stalker: Modern
NME Deathstalker: Late Crusader
Big_Water99 Rohlan Dyre: Late Crusader/Early Crusader (addition of sculpted bone segments)/Modern (addition of brow, earcaps, and keyslots)
TMA Classic Mando helmet: Modern
TMA Night Owl: Modern
TMA Rebels Male Mando: Modern
TMA MST - Mandalorian Shock Trooper: Late Crusader
TMA Deathwatch: Modern
TMA Sabine Wren: Modern
TMA The Ramikadyc: Late Crusader
Forge props Boba: Modern
Forge props Demagol: Late Crusader/Modern (suggested mods: add brow, add keyslots, add earcaps)
Forge Props Open Seasons Death Watch: Modern
ComMando: Modern/Late Crusader (suggested mods: remove keyslots, add hoses, taper t-visor)
Drak's Hunter: Modern/Late Crusader (no mods)
Drak's Recon: Late Crusader/Modern (suggested mods: extend t-visor, add brow)
TomVader Juggernaut: Modern
TomVader Buzzerker: Modern
TomVader Behemoth: Modern
Skirata Arms Destroyer: Modern
Iron Forge Renegade: Modern
Iron Forge Variant: Modern
Rubies 2015 Boba Fett: Modern
Robinson Creations Intimidator: Modern
Acacin Armouries Fett Style Helmet: Modern
Acacin Armouries Hoplite Helmet: Modern
Acacin Armouries Sabine Style Helmet: Modern
Acacin Armouries DWA Helmet: Modern
Acacin Armouries Pre Viszla Helmet: Modern

*NOTE: Boba Fett helmets used on custom kits must have the dent on the dome filled.

ERA CLASSIFICATION

Modern/Legacy

Modern helmets have several predominant design cues that we can find in the films and art. Namely, they are mainly composed of three separate areas: the face, dome, and back. These areas are often separated by a raised band, or "brow" that stretches around the helmet and connects to the helmet's mandibles. Modern helmets also feature "ears" or "earcaps" which protrude from each side of the helmet. Often, the function of the ear is to house a rangefinder stalk. The face itself is made up of three distinct parts: the mandibles, the "cheek bone" and the cheek. The mandibles are the T-shaped portion of the face. In modern helmets, the vertical portion of the mandibles is generally straight, with the lines being parallel to each other. The T-visor is most often fully cut so that the visor is flush with the bottom of the helmet. The cheek bone is the recessed portion of the face that connects the mandibles to the cheeks. This feature appears on all modern helmets in some form except for Legacy helmets. The cheek bone in modern helmets is most commonly a full arc that starts at the earcaps and ends at the bottom of the mandibles. The cheeks follow a similar, but smaller arc to the cheek bones. The cheeks usually are flat on the bottom and appear to flare out from the cheek bone. The back of the helmet is flat at the bottom, but is not as long as the face. Modern helmets often have "keyslots" which is defined by an inset panel with small, horizontal cutouts.

Examples of the Modern helmet are:
Boba Fett

Jango Fett

Pre Vizsla

Bo Katan

Hondo Karr

Late Crusader

Late Crusader helmets are generally regarded as being the most diverse of any period in Mandalorian history. The design of these helmets are generally more angular with less refined lines. These helmets often have a similar structure to modern helmets, consisting of a dome, back, and face. These helmets differ from modern helmets in that they are often not seen with ears/earcaps and generally do not have the brow seen in modern helmets that separate the helmet into distinct pieces. Their mandibles are generally not parallel and many helmets do not sport a full T visor. Some feature a partial T-shape or other shapes such as a "+" or a "TT" like shape. Cheekbones are still often seen on these helmets, but do not necessarily complete a full arc. Often the cheekbones extend from the side of the helmet and curve down to the mandibles. The cheeks are also present, but just as the cheekbones, they differ from the modern helmets in that they don't always complete a full arc. The back of a Late Crusader helmet can be flat at the bottom, but sometimes also arcs upwards so that when looked at from the side, the bottom of the helmet appears to rise diagonally. Late Crusader helmets usually do not feature keyslots at the back of the helmet. These helmets often feature tubing protruding from the helmets.

Examples of the Late Crusader helmet are:
Rohlan Dyre

Demegol

Neo-Crusaders are the most rigidly defined of the eras. These Mandalorians are only seen wearing one type of helmet: a full cowl with a mask featuring a pointed T visor with angled mandibles. The mask has no cheekbones or cheeks. The cowl is made from a thick material that does not wrinkle, but that is still flexible.

Neo Crusader

Examples of Neo-Crusader helmets:
Canderous Ordo (Canon only)

Cassus Fett

Knights of the Old Republic video game

Early Crusader

Early Crusader helmets differ the most from the other eras. Commonly, the only element they share with Modern and Late Crusader helmets are the mandibles. Early Crusader helmets also feature full T-visors like modern helmets, but do not always have parallel mandibles. These helmets do often feature cheekbones and cheeks as well. Early Crusader helmets are most notable for the fact that they are made out of bone and are very organic looking. However, they depart from convention in that Early Crusaders are also known for wearing masks over leather cowls. These masks have mandibles and full T visors, but only have a half dome and no back and no cheekbones or cheeks.

Examples of Early Crusaders:
Mand'alor the Indomitable and his soldiers

CUSTOM HELMETS

Custom Sculpted/Pepakura/Pattern-bashed helmets: These helmets are ones that are completely new, never before seen designs as opposed to helmets based on established characters (Boba, Jango, Rohlan Dyre, etc.) and stock helmet with minor add-ons (new earcaps, engraving, greeblies, etc.) or helmets that are a combination of helmets from other eras or which incorporate elements from other helmets in the Star Wars Universe. Please consult with the App team on all new designs to ensure the proper build era is being utilized. We understand that crafting custom armor and helmets is very time consuming and can be very expensive. We also understand the disappointment that comes with being told that a custom-designed piece will not be approveable. By involving the app team from a custom helmet's conception, you can ensure that your idea will make it all the way through design, execution, and approval.

All App Team members are available through PM at any time. If you do not ask for approval before constructing a completely custom helmet, we cannot guarantee that it will pass the approval process. If there is any question as to whether your custom helmet falls into this category, please PM an App Team member.

FAQ

Why is the Concept Fett allowed for modern use? It doesn't have any features of a modern helmet.
This is true. It's an issue we struggled with as a team to define. It appears in the KOTOR comics as a Late Crusader helmet, but it has also been featured in a version of The Force Unleashed on Mandalorian characters and was the precursor to the current design for Boba Fett. Given its pedigree and its modern references, we allow for the Concept Fett helmet to be the exception to the rule.

I designed and built a completely custom helmet without posting a WIP and now I'm being told my helmet cannot be used for the era that I built it for. What do I do?
We on the app team understand and empathize with any frustration you may be experiencing. We want to help and we will always work with our members to find a solution. Please consult the app team to design modifications that will bring your helmet into compliance with the requirements of the era that you built it for.

I want to use a helmet for an era that it is not approved for. Can I do this?
This document, like our club is continually evolving. We are happy to consult with anyone who would like to propose modifications to an existing helmet, however these modifications should be considered extremely substantial and era-fitting in order to change the system.

Why do I have to fill the dent on my Boba Fett helmet? Isn't it plausible that my character has the same dent in the same location?
Anything is plausible in fiction, but due to the fact that Boba Fett's dent is so iconic, we do not allow new applicants to be approved with that dent.

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2018, 06:39 PM by Havelock » Logged
The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
Re: A Guide to Helmets
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2014, 07:11 PM »
This is perfect.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2014, 12:53 AM »
Excellent list!  This will be a great resource for new members.

Ulrik Kanteer

• Conquer your fear......or die a coward
  • Awards 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:48 PM »
As new helmets come in, we will update the list

Alardis Kryze

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2014, 02:22 AM »
As new helmets come in, we will update the list
I'm sorry, but does Head Shot Props still selling the Night Owl, Pre Vizsla and so on? I thought that HSP has refreshed it's item list.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HeadShotProps
We can see it here. So, here are the:
  • The Commando Mandalorian Fett Clone Wars Helmet.
  • The "Head Shot" Mandalorian Fett Clone Wars Helmet.
  • The Standard Mandalorian Fett Clone Wars Helmet.

Also, Headshot Props Night Owl: Modern and Headshot Props Deathwatch: Modern are produced now by Mandalorian Arsenal (https://www.facebook.com/mandalorian.arsenal)

Please, correct me if I did some mistakes.  :)

It's time to verp!

M.A.B.L.E. #041
V.R.C.A. #032
B.E.A.R.D.S. #056

Dar'manda

• "I go in first so you dont have to"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2014, 02:36 AM »
Yes, but Before he was Headshot Props, he was Skarata Arms which is where the Commando and Night Owl were under before he sold them.

I would assume they are using the new title of his business rather then the old one to classify that there are different versions of the same helmet.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Cool thanks! This will help me as me and my dad build a homemade fiberglass bicket form scratch!

I was wondering you said we can't join with the dent in our helmet but am I allowed to have a bullet dent and or light saber mark in another place?

Thanks Vod!

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2014, 11:31 PM »
am I allowed to have a bullet dent and or light saber mark in another place?

of course

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Cool thanks! This will help me as me and my dad build a homemade fiberglass bicket form scratch!

I was wondering you said we can't join with the dent in our helmet but am I allowed to have a bullet dent and or light saber mark in another place?

Thanks Vod!
just dont put the damage where it has become iconic on a cannon character. :) I have dents and saber burns all over mine... lol

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2014, 08:54 PM »
This is some great info here! It will be very helpful when making & customizing my bucket.

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:54 AM »
Couple of points for clarification and one to add:

Why is the Concept Fett allowed for modern use? It doesn't have any features of a modern helmet.
This is true. It's an issue we struggled with as a team to define. It appears in the KOTOR comics as a Late Crusader helmet, but it has also been featured in a version of The Force Unleashed on Mandalorian characters and was the precursor to the current design for Boba Fett. Given its pedigree and its modern references, we allow for the Concept Fett helmet to be the exception to the rule.
A similar design was used in Clone Wars when ObiWan impersonated Rako Hardeen. The helmet in the series was based on the Concept Fett design.

Under TMA:

I no longer offer a Fett-style helmet. I discontinued the mold last year.

Are you listing the original creators of the helmets or who sells them. If original, the Head Shot Props Night Owl and Death Watch should have a tag with Skirata Arms, because that is the name under which they were originally produced. If selling, then I officially purchased the molds for and began selling these two helmets in October of 2013. Can the list be edited to reflect that please?

I now offer the Sabine helmet from the new series Rebels. Details can be seen in my comprehensive thread.

Thanks!

David.

Facebook page
#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Thanks! I'll update the list to reflect your stock.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2014, 12:10 PM »
I don't see the Destroyer :3

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Tobyn the hutt

• #0679 GHOST LIVES!!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:09 AM »
the gypsyboy is also missing. obviously it would be modern.

« Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2014, 09:25 AM »
I have a question about range finders on helmets,do they have to be on the side of the helmet or can I put one in the visor like a lenses that sticks out a little

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!