Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom Westar-34

• 21 Replies

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
Custom Westar-34
« on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:28 AM »
Granted, we don't know if there's even a "standard" version of this blaster. The brace that Jango had he had ordered custom -- hollowed grips, larger prefire chambers, etc. I begin to get the feeling they're like the Star Wars version of the Colt M1911, with custom and presentation customization for just about any occasion or need.

Mine is something like if Westar did it as a presentation sidearm for some target-shooting retired general. I'll sort out how Kyr got it at some point. *heh*

I cannibalized two of the Rubies Westars for a single blaster. I thinned the grip of one down to the correct width, and have some faux amber grip scales that I'm in the midst of grinding down to apply to them (and the screws for them, you can see alongside). The two barrels are getting combined into one longer one, the side vents being combined into one on each side. The new muzzle is a wonderful example of serendipity. A random fitting from some plumbing fixture that ended up in my bitz box along the way. I'm crafting a new endcap, as well, as part of trimming down the butt end of the blaster so it fits in the holster.

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2014, 11:44 AM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Cutom Westar-34
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:49 AM »
OOoo neat, ineresting thought put into it

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

DJon Ros

• Mando Merc #425 BLUE MOON CLAN
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:53 AM »
Nice

18 OFFICIAL INVASIONS & 8 UNOFFICIAL (Table or Handler)
#1 MMCC Patch Collector on 501st Collection db.
FORMER BMC RUSSALOR
BMC-OM#4
Mando Rider #0014-Merc Motorcycle Association
M.A.B.L.E. #032
B.O.M.B. #47
TK8854-MSG 501st Legion-ANH Stormtrooper
Celebration VI & VIII SURVIVOR

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2014, 03:07 AM »
I'll be watching this build with interest...

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2014, 06:56 AM »
What Echo said  :rolleyes: ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Delta13

• Awards Boba and Jango
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2014, 07:49 AM »
As fan of Westar-34 I can't look at this... but seems I will ;)

Peregrinus

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2014, 11:44 AM »
I promise I'll do right by it, Delta. The butchery will be justified.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Custom Westar-34
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2014, 12:15 PM »
Can't wait to see the finished product, vod. :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Delta13

• Awards Boba and Jango
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2014, 03:32 PM »
The butchery will be justified.

--Jonah

Sounds so Mandalorian :laugh:

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2014, 04:03 PM »
I promise I'll do right by it, Delta. The butchery will be justified.

--Jonah

I do think that is the most Mandalorian thing I've heard all week. But I do love me a good Westar. Especially custom. Can't be beroya rocking stock kit ;)

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Interesting. Do please go on.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Peregrinus

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Stylistic suggestion sought. Jango's Westars have the barrel jacket laying right against the inner barrel. The inner barrel I have is the right diameter for that, but the Rubies blaster was molded thin enough that I'll have to add to the inside of the side-slots to fill in the depth. How do y'all think it would look if I left that space? It'd be about 1/16" gap between the jacket and inner, all the way along the slot. It'd be the sort of detail only visible up close, and I think might add a little visual character. But I could go either way. Should I post up a pic of the inner barrel in place to show you what it would look like with the gap?

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:25 PM »
The slots are vents, right? I say keep the gap for a more efficient aircooled barrel.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Zohar Nef

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:36 PM »
I did something like that but scratch built it with aluminum and copper tube,
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=53029.0

There is no problem in life that can not be solved through the proper aplication of high explosives.

Peregrinus

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2014, 03:55 AM »
Zohar, that's a nice looking custom. :) I was originally thinking of saying this was a Westar-33 or -35 or something. But there are enough similarities I decided to just stick with -34 and make it a custom version.

This is the gap I'm talking about:

While I'm at it, here are some closer looks. I'm really proud of how I did with the muzzle. Inner part:

Muzzle shroud:

The part I really like -- down inside:

One of the grip scales:

...and in position on the grip:

Still lots of grinding-down I need to do on it, but this at least gives a sense.

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2014, 04:00 AM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Niiiiiiicce! :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:40 PM »
OO nice muzzle, I like the added realism of the visual internal part.

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2014, 06:55 PM »
That muzzle looks amazing! Same with those grips. Can't wait to see this bad boy finished up! Keep it up ner vod

Peregrinus

« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:26 AM »
Very rough assembly to get a sense of how it all goes together. The barrel extension is just roughed in position. Still needs to be cut down and the end of the side vent on the main part of the barrel opened up and lined up. I shaved enough off where the grips come together to make the grip an inch wide, as it should be. The upper part works well with the receiver area, so I left that. The offset is lined up so it nestles just so in my hand. The amber grip scales will be fitted below that lip. I trimmed down the dovetail above the grip, and have a different endcap. Made a new more accurate trigger that still needs to to be smoothed down and drilled out for the rod it rides on. I also still have some more epoxy-putty reshaping to do. And I left out the inner barrel for this mockup.

Getting closer, though. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Cpt. Rhiis Mok'tau

• "Wann es nicht gefaellt - Mach neu"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Solid! I personally think the little dome bit at the back feels out of place, but if you're happy with it, then it's perfect.

"Well, I'm really a mercenary by trade. You could just call pirating a hobby of mine." -Rhiis

Peregrinus

« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Yeah, that's the biggest problem with everything being unfinished. Once the finishing and painting work is done, it'll be seamless. There's a lot of little fiddly work with putty and edge shaping that's taking a long time to get just so, but once that's done, it'll be the paint apps that pull it all together. The only thing I'm wibbling over is to make that endcap the same gunmetal as the rest of the main body, or chrome the round part to evoke the finish of Jango's Westars.

I've been forced to recognize that -- thanks to uncooperative weather and lack of an indoor alternative for painting space -- I'm not going ot have this costume finished by ECCC. I'm going to continue plugging away and see how close I can get, but... *shrug* This blaster and the leg armor (thighs, knees, shins, and sabatons) are what I'm focusing on this week. With maybe a little work done on my gauntlets. The armor bits I want to get to the point they're ready for painting, with no other prep work needed. But I want to see if I can get this blaster, at least, finished before the end of the month. So I'm hoping to have enough of the unfinished stuff resolved soon, so y'all can see more clearly what's been in my head to guide me.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Valeskor Zevkin

• He was bleeding before I got here...
« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2014, 12:17 AM »
Normally I don't care much for Westars at all, but I'm really digging what you've done with yours so far. Great work, vod!

-Valeskor

-Valeskor

"Do not go recklessly searching for glory. Live well, fight with honor, and glory will find you as assuredly as the sun rises."

PEW,PEW,PEW, WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=62961.0
Snail-like progressing armor WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63151.0
We have a website, it is tiny: www.headtraumastudio.com

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!