Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My Arena-inspired jetpack

• 14 Replies

Kodiak

• Kelborn Mereel, Kodiak Darling
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
My Arena-inspired jetpack
« on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:23 PM »
 I decided to indulge in a want I've been toying with since I joined, and made my own jetpack. Materials cost was $12 in plumbing materials from a goodwill-esque hardware store, and another $12 in adhesives and miscellania. I could stop here and call it finished, but it doesn't look quite right to me without a cone and a few more details to break up some flat spaces. I'll add those on once I can actually find a fraking cone.

Pre-assembly:

Pre-Paint:

"finished" paint:

And what I will end up doing in the near future. I think these small changes improve the overall look almost immeasurably.

Dynas

• "You can run,but you'll only die tired." Boba Fett
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: My Arena-inspired jetpack
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:10 PM »
NICE. really like the simple and effectiveness of this. Can we get a list of the parts used?

Mark II
Upgrades: Jetpack: 100%  Blaster Rifle: 25%  Chest Lights: 75%  Knife: 100% Spats: 100% Double Sleeves: 100% Flamer Hose 100% Jetpack Harness Upgrade: 100% Dull coat Yellow Paint 100% Helmet Fans: 100%

Career Invasions: 13

OM #874     M.A.N.T.A.     M.A.B.E.L #44

Kodiak

• Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:54 PM »
The nozzles were low GPM shower heads. The tubes were various PVC pipes with a few different kinds of adapters. All of this was found in the plumbing section of the store.

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:51 AM »
Too freakin cool!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Prudii Senaar

• Copaani mirshmure'cye, vod?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Oooohhh I want one ;D

Except...I have..no use for a jetpack.... :laugh:

Elegant Mandos' Tea Society #60

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Very nice!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Very Very Cool  8) Great scratch build

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2014, 01:21 AM »
Far out.

This is so cool it's actually ridiculous.

Well done, kodiak!  :D

Beskar'gam progress:

Bucket: NME Props Assassin (completed)
Gauntlets: Bo Katan  (completed)
Armour: 0% (need to buy)
Soft Parts: 0% (making from scratch)
nme props jetpack: 0% (raw kit)
Weapon: DL-44

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2014, 08:08 AM »
Very nice work, one of the few "homemade" JP that looks good IMO. Changing the main topper will add a lot.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Kodiak

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2014, 06:10 PM »
Thank you everyone, I'm pretty damned proud of it. I'm still looking for a cone, though. They're hard to find, at least where I'm looking.

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2014, 06:54 PM »
I keep thinking of when I was a kid, my mohter used the buy nylons that came in a round container with a dome top that would be almost perfect, I don't know if they still make that container (30+ years later) but you might check out the pharmacy section...or you could try forming one by heating plastic... good luck

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Kodiak

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2014, 07:36 PM »
I'll have to take a look at that. Heat-shaping some plastic may be the best option though. Thanks for the ideas.

Goram Korr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Ffs Tact, way to make me feel old. I remember those containers! That's a wicked pack man! It looks as awesome as my arena pack and mine cost me almost 300 bucks with shipping. Color me impressed :)

Merc #706
VRCA #22
BMC OM #8
Most of BMC is over achievers. I only go quarter tassel at most.

Russiya

• Live for today forget about tomarrow
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2014, 02:57 PM »
Amazing build!! What did you use for the covers around the tanks?

Kodiak

« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2014, 05:39 AM »
Thank you! I used sheet metal cut into shape and bent on a hard edge. Nothing weathers quite like metal, so I like to have it wherever I can.

As for the cone issue, I ended up using bondo to sculpt a cone onto the top of the cap I was using. It turned out just like I'd hoped.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!