Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

"Droids" variant of Boba Fett - Beginning Work

• 48 Replies

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
Re: "Droids" variant of Boba Fett - Beginning Work
« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2013, 08:36 AM »
This thread is a lot of talk, vod. Let's see some progress! :D

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2013, 10:03 AM »
This thread is a lot of talk, vod. Let's see some progress! :D

/\ /\ A picture is worth a thousand words /\ /\  ;D

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Mithras

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #27 on: Sep 22, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Well certainly, Vod. Just find a way for me to magic up all the parts and I'll have it done in no time;)

I do have the chest pieces cut. Will post them a little bit later.

M.

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Mithras

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #28 on: Sep 22, 2013, 04:21 PM »
Yesterday Haran'galar had an armor party and Boudicca took the time to cut out my chest pieces using an excellent template she had sketched up. The pic below shows the ab and pectoral plates, rough cut. They still need to have the chest indentations and the chest light space added, as well as some smoothing, sanding, and forming, but we're at last on our way.

We will likely make the knees as well, using a template kindly provided by Eerbes. The other armor pieces will likely be purchased and then cleaned up/formed/painted. The biggest technical hurdle I see at this stage is trying to determine how the jetpack should be mounted.

Mithras

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #29 on: Sep 22, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Best bet would be to mount it like the regular Boba backplate would have it.  I can't remember ever seeing the Droids version from the back.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Mithras

« Reply #30 on: Sep 22, 2013, 10:39 PM »
That's the real question, as I'm not sure how the standard Boba should wear it best. There are a number of solutions, and I'm not sure how they work.

-Alex

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Mithras

« Reply #31 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:35 PM »
Due to a general lack of local interest, I am suspending this build. I'd like to see it happen, but it's too much of an investment in money and time to work on something that won't be appreciated locally. :(

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Barbarossa Kad

• Keeper of the Boomstick
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #32 on: Sep 27, 2013, 08:12 PM »
I'd like to see it finished and I'm sure there are lots of people who want to see it finished.

There is a method to my madness.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Willy Wonka

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #33 on: Sep 27, 2013, 08:58 PM »
I build for myself, I am happy if others are interested or like what I do but in the end this is my hobby. I think you should enjoy what you are doing for yourself, not your clan mates.

I was enjoying watching this build and would like to see you keep up with it. It is a unique build and worth exploring, but if you prefer to your energy elsewhere work on another kit thats cool.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #34 on: Sep 27, 2013, 10:10 PM »
I build for myself, I am happy if others are interested or like what I do but in the end this is my hobby. I think you should enjoy what you are doing for yourself, not your clan mates.

I was enjoying watching this build and would like to see you keep up with it. It is a unique build and worth exploring, but if you prefer to your energy elsewhere work on another kit thats cool.

This X 10000

do it for you, not for others ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Boudicca

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #35 on: Sep 28, 2013, 01:54 PM »
For what it is worth, as a not-quite member, I think this would be a great project to continue, I think you could do it and make it look fantastic, and am of course willing and able to help in any way I can.  I realize I'm just one local and not even a clan member, but if you decided to resume, you would have my full support.

Mithras

« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2013, 04:32 AM »
Ok. Looks like we're on again for the build. Helmet is en route. Stay tuned for updates, etc:)

-Alex

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Tact Kor

« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2013, 06:04 AM »
Cool, what helmet did you get?

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #38 on: Oct 25, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Mith, glad you decided to continue.

I do want to bring up a point though, aside from completely agreeing with Tact. YOU are part of Clan Command. In fact you're a Ruus'alor. This means that it's your job to PUSH the quality costumes on the rest of the Clan. Lead by example by making awesomeness happen. Teach others how in the process. That's a brilliant opportunity and a great responsibility, and you've certainly got the talent and planning ability to do it. Just gotta keep the mindset man.

Mithras

« Reply #39 on: Oct 25, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Cool, what helmet did you get?

Tact -

Went with the budget cold cast Boba from Asok. Looks like a very nice piece. Just need to order myself a T Visor.
Helmet should arrive any day now.

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Mithras

« Reply #40 on: Oct 25, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Mith, glad you decided to continue.

I do want to bring up a point though, aside from completely agreeing with Tact. YOU are part of Clan Command. In fact you're a Ruus'alor. This means that it's your job to PUSH the quality costumes on the rest of the Clan. Lead by example by making awesomeness happen. Teach others how in the process. That's a brilliant opportunity and a great responsibility, and you've certainly got the talent and planning ability to do it. Just gotta keep the mindset man.

Very much appreciate your support, and kind words. Aside from that, the point you raise is precisely why I decided to continue with the build.

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Tact Kor

« Reply #41 on: Oct 25, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Your going to really like the Asok, I was fortunate enough to get one from Bill Warren before he passed, but it seems that his vod has done an excellent job continuing the Asok quality.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

Mithras

« Reply #42 on: Nov 01, 2013, 12:51 AM »
As Tact intimated, the Asok FP bucket has arrived, and I am indeed quite pleased. Just spent some time a few moments ago doing the "steel wool" polishing of the surface. A real beauty; almost a shame to have to paint over it. But that I shall. Pics, etc as I prepare to paint it.

-Alex

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #43 on: Nov 01, 2013, 01:25 AM »
Here's what I found out about the back plate. Granted this is a Kubrick Figure but they're pretty good at scaling this stuff down.

Mithras

« Reply #44 on: Nov 03, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Very good find, Krie. Thanks. Quite useful. Noticed one other thing - looks like there is only one jet pack nozzle, mounted directly on the centerline?

Kubrick is pretty good about this stuff - their research is usually better than Hasbro's, and they have a distinct "Droids" style Boba aside from simply re labeling the HS Boba.

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Boudicca

« Reply #45 on: Nov 07, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Ok. Looks like we're on again for the build. Helmet is en route. Stay tuned for updates, etc:)

-Alex

...and there was much rejoicing  ;D

And yes, I can attest the Asok bucket is a gorgeous piece of work.  Have never seen a cold-cast piece after "treatment" with steel wool, etc., before - looks amazing already!

Tact Kor

« Reply #46 on: Nov 07, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Hey bud, I don't mean to be a jerk but if you get to page 5 of your WIP with no actual WIP it's kinda weird...  :rolleyes:

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #47 on: Nov 07, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Sometimes, with a project like this, there's a lot of frontloading on R&D before actual construction can commence.

As for the Droids Boba... It looks like the same character model as for the Holiday Special, with (sometimes) slightly more detail on the armor plates.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Boudicca

« Reply #48 on: Nov 12, 2013, 04:41 PM »
Yes - because this thing is super-obscure it's taken a ton of time just to research parts, colors, etc.  And it makes sense - when you're looking to build AND get approved something that's never been done before, it makes perfects sense to post up all the research, so that if someone has a question or concern about how it should look, that can get resolved before the construction starts!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!