Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP: Medpac construction for Mando Medic

• 9 Replies

V-cell

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Family events
WIP: Medpac construction for Mando Medic
« on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Hello everyone, TR-12221 here again. After finishing my Medic bucket, I turned to the medpack and now I am pleased to share with all of my future brothers and sisters what I have so far. As always, criticism (both positive and negative) is accepted and appreciated. It takes time to look at the pics and then write a comment, share your knowledge, and for both of these I am grateful.

Here are the components: The base is a used hardshell backpack purchased on E-bay for $30. It was in rough shape, which I really didn't mind. Other components are a piece the furniture attachment of a Hoover WindTunnel vacuum cleaner, an old lab timer, a hand transfer pump and the top of a discarded gel transfer unit for Western Blot from a biotek lab.

The transformation starts with a coat of Rustoleum Grey Primer on all of the components:

Followed by a coat of Rustoleum Metallic Dark Steel:

Some toothpaste was added for damage/weathering and the first coat of paint that will match my Mando medic bucket build (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70095.0) which was Rustoleum Glossy White.

Medpack was then washed (to take the toothpaste off), taped and another layer of toothpaste added to prepare for the second layer of paint, Rustoleum Glossy Red.

The next sequence of pictures shows you the advancement of putting the components together. I added the bottom part of an egg slicer (as a vent) and painted the transfer pump's hose black as well as the vacuum cleaner piece.

And this is before I start the weathering process, which will follow a similar treatment as the bucket. If you ask me what each component actually is, I would welcome your imaginative input...just be mindful of the engineering gaffes that I have already made when the explanations of each component is made.

Hope you all like what you see, and if not...hopefully your comments will make it look even better. This is not the finished Medpack yet. I will continue to update.

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: WIP: Medpac construction for Mando Medic
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Looks good so far. Great use of found objects!

Also a BIG fan of toothpaste as a masking agent  8)

Do you plan on adding any dirt/grime to it?

Also....maybe take a bit of sand paper, fold it in half, and ding up the edges of the red decretive lines a bit. Not too much but enough to rough things up a bit. Just a suggestion.

How will you be attaching this to your kit? Slings? Magnets?

V-cell

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2014, 11:00 PM »
Thank you Tyno. Definitely weathering is coming up next. This thread (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70095.0) shows what I did to the bucket (page 3) and I will definitely follow your recommendation on the sand paper. I will post updates of the weathering.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2014, 01:58 PM »
Thats cool vod ;) I like it

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

V-cell

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Few minor touches left, but in essence...this medpack's exterior is done. I will soon share what goes on inside the medpack. Taking pictures on a noon sun doesn't help much as a lot of detail is lost. However, I have added some close ups so that you can all get the idea.

Soon to come, pics inside the pack and how I am going to attach it to the back plate. Comments are always welcome.

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2014, 10:22 PM »
I really like that you used different colors for your dirt and grime.

I don't think we're allowed to have blood on our armor but I don't think there are any rules against dried blood. And knowing that this is a medical back pack some of the brown colors you have look like they could be from blood. Which would make sense.

This is turning out great!

Tier

• Sometimes I'm hungry, other times I'm asleep.
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Fantastic! Do you mind revealing the brand name of the pack?

Mountain Ops #001 Beast Hunter #013 M.A.C.K. Daddy #002 Mando-Tough #037 B.E.A.R.D.S. #100

Paikea

• Never get between a Mando and their prey. MM #446
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:18 PM »
This is brilliant! How'd you do the grime weathering?

Paikea Heke
Freelancers Guild.
MAJIC#28 - EMTS#087 - M5#23 - XMG#06
Alpha Base (Rebel Legion)
Garrison Titan- Staff (501st)
Maker of the Mando Comics
https://www.facebook.com/MandoMayhem

V-cell

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Thank you for all your comments Tyno, Tier and Paikea. Now to answer questions posted by Tier and Paikea.

Tier: Do a search for Motorcycle hardshell backpack SHOCK design. That should take you to them on the internet. The luck I had was that they were selling a bruised one (and they meant it) for a little over $30. As I was going to modify it anyway, it didn't matter.

Paikea:The rusty grime spots are a combination of three Testors brand paints and a technique that works quite well over white paint. The "technique" is quite simple, grab some Povodone (Iodine solution) which is available in any drugstore under the first aid section. Next, grab a cotton ball, let it soak up some Iodine and then spread over the areas you want weathered. Let it stand 5 minutes and then wipe off with a wet cloth. Stains will appear in these areas which I then come back and touch up with the paints. I used brown, sand and black from the Testors military paint kit. And that is how you get the grimey spots.

Hope this explanation was clear. Please feel free to contact me if you need me to expand on anything.

Tier

• Sometimes I'm hungry, other times I'm asleep.
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Thanks!

Mountain Ops #001 Beast Hunter #013 M.A.C.K. Daddy #002 Mando-Tough #037 B.E.A.R.D.S. #100

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!